Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Need help - planning U.P. trip

921 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  BLADEGUY 
#1 ·
My friends and I would like to plan a "cross-country" trip going from the east side of Michigan's UP to the west and back. I am looking for anyone who has done such a thing to give any advice they can (i.e. what did you do about clothes?).

The trip is to be in mid-February (assuming we get some snow) and we would like to do this in 5 days.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Go for it, definitely! I've done many "tours," including a nearly 2000 mile ride into Canada and back.

Clothes? Best option is either saddlebags or a trunk bag attached to your sled. I prefer saddlebags, as they sit secure right next to the tunnel, and ride lower than a trunk bag. You can get a pair of good saddlebags for about $50. Hint: Put all your clothes and stuff in plastic bags if you don't want it full of water and snow-dust.

I was able to pack two changes of clothes, five pairs of (well, you know), shaving gear, and the ever-important swimsuit (in case of whirlpools at hotels where we stay), as well as extra gloves and misc. extra warm clotes.

If it gets really cold, you put on everything you pack. If it gets warm, you stuff things into the windshield bag, etc. It works out just fine.

As far as planning goes, I plan daily mileage between 120 and 170 miles, depending on trail conditions, etc. (try to get local reportsif you can). That kind of mileage still allows for a little "play" time if you need it, or time in case of mechanical difficulties.

I call ahead for reservations for motels, and check out those that are close to trails, and are accessible in the destination cities where you are going to stay. Also, double check to make sure there is somewhere to eat.

We stayed in a crappy motel one night, and there wasn't anyplace open to eat by the time we got there. Kinda sucked.

It's great. I try to do at least a long-weekend point-to-point tour each winter. You can cover so much more ground and see more stuff than you can when you just ride out of one place for a week.

#3 ·
I was planning a trip like that earlier this year. I sent away for trail maps of all the counties accross the UP, I used links from 'Snow Tracks'. I cut the maps into sections and numbered them, then I put them in page protector sheets in order from West to East. I'd go to the chamber of comerce sites for the different areas you choose for your stopping points and check into accomodations in those areas.
After much debate I made reservations on Lake Gogebec for four nights the 27th through the 30th of this month(hoperfully there will be snow!)
Maybe I'll do the cross UP trip next year.
Good luck and think snow!

TR, by the way Cat sells a nice tank bag with map pouch and small side pouches that would fit your ZR really nice and adds some storage, the bag unbuckles from the side pockets that stay mounted to the sled. I bought one for my ZL, it works really nice but is not that cheap, between $80 and $90

RtkatZL8
2001 ZL800
Delta IIs
Power Breather
Coupling Kit

Creek beds don't make good brakes!

MBRP Silencer

Edited by - rtkatzl8 on 11 Jan 2002 18:21:02

#4 ·
Myself, my wife and eight friends leave on Friday for the UP. Staying in Ironwood, but planning on heading North to find snow. Doesn't sound so rosy out there now, but hopefully with this clipper that ran through it'll bring on the North winds and lake effect snow.

I'll be back on Wednesday 1/23, and will have a report then.

#5 ·
I did it last year and it was a blast. Saddle bags are a must. I overpacked. We brought shoes, but you really don't need them. Just wear your boots. Socks, Underwear, some shirts, toothbrush, toothpaste. Of course the normal flashlight, extra belts, etc. If your going during the week, you don't need reservations. This is the way to go. We were headed for Marquette one night. The groomer turned left at a junction in the trail. We were suposed to go straight. However, the trail was just the slightest bit unsmooth that way. I looked at the map, changed the plans to go to Baraga, and we rode 40 miles of first tracks twisting through the woods. It was SWEEET! Having that kind of flexibility makes it fun. It also helped when we broke down and were stuck for a day. You never know how many miles you can cover due to trail conditions. If you need to make time on the way back, head south to trail 2. That is a wide, flat railroad bed that you can fly on. I don't know if it has enough snow this year, though. Ain't too much you can't buy along the way. Have fun. (P.S. Bring some tools)

I want to ride every day, all day, as fast as I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.