Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 AC EXT 530 L/C. when I bought the snowmobile it would engage around 4200-4300 RPMs which I loved and always thought that it was stock. I ended up rebuiling the clutches with stock parts thinking thats what was in there and when I took it out for the first time it would only engage at about 3600 RPMs. The only thing that could remember about the old set up was that it had a yellow/green spring in the primary. Stock set up is like 56 gram weights and a red spring. So I now have a y/g spring and stock weights. I thought about grinding stalls in the weights, but I really dont want to do that. I bought some spring spacers to raise the engagement but w/ the info I got with the spacers it says that the y/g spring is SOLID @ 1 3/16". What should I do? Should I maybe go back to the red spring and then use the spacers, or is it safe to use the spacers with the y/g spring? If at all possable I don't want to change the wieghts unless thats my only resort.

Thanks a lot
Justind

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Don't change the weights to change engagement. That's the spring's job. You need to find a new y/g spring. Or a comparable spring (rate, length, etc.). What happened to the old weights? Could have a dealer compare them to stock? If you rebuilt the clutch you should use a new spring. It'll make all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by Offshore24
[br]Don't change the weights to change engagement. That's the spring's job. You need to find a new y/g spring. Or a comparable spring (rate, length, etc.). What happened to the old weights? Could have a dealer compare them to stock? If you rebuilt the clutch you should use a new spring. It'll make all the difference in the world.
The weights have an important job in engagment. The mass of the weight along with the RPM determines when the primary closes. A lighter weight will engage higher becuase it requires higher RPM to produce the same amount of force.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br]
Originally posted by Offshore24
[br]Don't change the weights to change engagement. That's the spring's job. You need to find a new y/g spring. Or a comparable spring (rate, length, etc.). What happened to the old weights? Could have a dealer compare them to stock? If you rebuilt the clutch you should use a new spring. It'll make all the difference in the world.
The weights have an important job in engagment. The mass of the weight along with the RPM determines when the primary closes. A lighter weight will engage higher becuase it requires higher RPM to produce the same amount of force.
this is true. but also keep in mind the weights control the shift rpms all the way through the powerband. so if peak rpms are ok, then change engagment with the spring. if rpms are low everywhere, then go with lighter weights.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The spring is new and I don't have the any of the old parts left. What happened was I rebuilt the clutch, with the stock parts and threw the old stuff away. I used loctite on the clutch so I didn't start the sled for a few days, and the garbage was taken out that night with the parts in it and not reliezing they were diffenet. The only thing I remembered was the y/g spring. I the high alt. set up for the sled was a only a spring change to a Y/G spring and that did raise it a little. The concern I have is the info I got with the spring spacer from Comet, and the fact that the Y/G is "SOLID @ 1 3/16". I really don't want to coil bind the spring. It states on a list of Spring Listings under the When compressed to height of 1 1/8" So does that mean that it can work with spring shims?

Thanks
Justind

1 - 8 of 8 Posts