Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK fellow sled-heads..help a guy out

SLED- 2004 POLARIS CLASSIC DOMESTIC 700 WITH VES...ELECTRIC START AND REVERSE

PROBLEM-....WHEN BATTERY IS FULLY CHARGED USING TRICKLE CHARGER ALL IS GOOD...BATTERY FULLY CHARGES AND 12.6 VOLTS WHEN FULL.....BATTERY STARTS SLED FINE.....SLED RUNS GREAT....BUT AS ABOUT 15 MINUTES OR SO THE BATTERY VOLTAGE SAGS TO 10 VOLTS OR SO ...HID LIGHTS AND LEDS START TO FLICKER BECAUSE OF LOW VOLTAGE

NOTES-
1-I UNPLUG BLACK CONNECTOR I ASSUME COMES FROM RECTIFIER THAT PLUGS INTO BATTERY...WITH SLED RUNNING IT ONLY HAS 4.5 VOLTS DC ON IT(I ASSUME IT SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST 12-13 VOLTS TO REPLENESH THE BATTERY(YES/NO)
2-AM I SAFE TO ASSUME THAT THE RECTIFIER IS SHOT?AND IF SO WHERE THE HELL IS IT?LOCATION PLEASE
3-IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFI PLEASE ASSIST..THANKS

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
can anyone telle where is the rectifier,cant see it in manual anywhere?

·
Registered
353 Posts
its behind the plastic cowling where your left knee is (clutch side of machine when your sitting on the sled. Look behind there with a flashlight. You'll see it back there.

It looks something like this:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Does your battery still have fluid/sulfuric acid in it?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bames said:
Does your battery still have fluid/sulfuric acid in it?
BATTERY IS BRAND NEW....JUST BLEW 85$ LARGE ON A BRAND NEW REGULATOR/RECTIFIER...STILL HAVE 5 VOLTS DC GOING TO CHARGE BATTERY..WHAT THE F$#@!!!!!...SOME BODY PLEASE HELP!!!![:(!]

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dOES ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE WHAT VOLTage should be at the battery with sled running at idle?is it the same as a car with an alternatoir13.5...or is it less because of the rectifier?

·
Registered
353 Posts
You should see same as a car about 14 volts.

If your regulator or rectifier is shot, you'll see different.

The regulator (most snomobilers will call it a rectifier) prevents the stator from sending all available energy to the light bulbs and other accessories. If it is shot you'll see crazy high voltage on your yellow wires feeding your bulbs.

If the rectifier is shot you won't see any DC output to the battery (the 12 or 16 gauge red charging lead connected to your battery). The rectifier is what converts your sleds AC voltage to DC in order to charge your battery.

Could be a different problem all together. You may want to check your lighting coil with an ohm meter or other mag components under your flyweel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts