Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well was about to go snowmobiling yesterday and started to pull over the sled when all of a sudden the rope wouldnt get sucked back in. So i started to jurk on the the rope a little bit to see if it would suck it back in and ended up pulling the rope all the way out. Havent looked at it sence because of it being so cold, but was woundering if anyone could give me some tips on the easyiest way to fix the problem. I would think the recoil is shot so that will probable need replacing. The sled is a 97 xlt 600 triple thanks.

·
Registered
999 Posts
well if it is totally dead, ie no recoil at all. maybe the spring inside of the recoil housing is dead. What you are going to do is take the pipe off of your sled.Remove the cover of the recoil. Then take the recoil assembly out. inspect the spring inside. Take note to how it is wound because you may have to rewind the spring (Allot of work) while you have all of that apart, you should replace the rope just to be on the safe side. Then replace. Make sure you pre load the recoil spring before you reinstall to make sure that when you pull the rope out to start your sled it will return to the housing properly. Usually four times around is good. Hope you get it back together. If you need help, take it to a dealer. They will only charge you 20 bucks for the rope and labour.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help Im gunna try and get that fixed asap. If i dont get on it this week Ill prob take your advice and bring it in if it is as cheap as you say it is.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
How did I miss this thread? Don't take it to the stealership.. do it yourself. Just follow my how to here http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50494

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Was it really cold when your rope wouldn't go back in? I ask because I found out recently that mine does that too, when the temperature is like 8 below zero.
I had to start mine with the emergency start strap, which was a pain. After the engine warmed up, the recoil worked fine the rest of the day.

·
Registered
999 Posts
The reason it gets hard to return to the housing is because it is not wound enough. When it is warm the metal is very soft and springy but when it gets cold it looses it's tension. I live in Nunavut Canada and I drive my sled to work everyday, I never have a problem because I made sure to Preload the spring allot. If you are having that problem maybe you should wind it a couple more time. Just a thought. The only reason I directed him to the stealer-ship is because I don't know what is mechanical inclination is and I was just giving him an option.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I took it apart about a week ago and it apeared that the spring, when it got pulled all the way out got rewound the other way. Got a new one and had it back togehter in time for the fresh snow. Thanks for the help though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts