Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local Polaris dealer told me the SLP pipes I purchased (second hand) won't fit on a 96 Polaris Ultra SP. The SLP pipes (not factory) came off a 1997 Ultra SPX SE.

When I purchased the Pipes, I thought SLP pipes for 680 triple ultras were universal for 96 and 97. I still believe that. I will have to get SLP and the mechanic talking...at $60 per hour.

I would appreciate hearing anyones thoughts or experiences on installing SLP pipes on Polaris Ultras. Thanks.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Have you tried the pipes? The only problem would be that the SPX is the aggressive chassis. The engines are the same. Why would someone put triple pipes on a sled that allready had triple pipes? Fill me in with some more details about the fit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point about the chassis. I know the 97 had more front end travel, so you would think if it cleared the 97 it would be good-to-go on the 96!

I bought them off ebay, they were advertised as SLP pipes for a 680 Ultra. I looked at SLP's web site they only had two model# for there different rpms. With the same part#, the pipes appeared universal for 96 and 97 680 Triple.

The fit problem: I'm getting this second hand, and I haven't seen the problem yet...but it sounds like the problem is that the pipes are too tall and conflict front suspension shock tower.

I emailed the owner of the SPX SE to ask him the same question about replacing the factory pipes. Must have been racing, or damaged his orginal pipes.

I would love a picture of a 96 Ultra Sp with SLP Pipes installed!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Ultrafast

My 96 Ultra still has a single pipe but I think it's fast enough. Ive raced SPXs in the past and they are no faster than mine. I almost bought a set of SLP pipes until I came to my senses. I like to take my kids for rides and that would be too dangerous. I should have kept my 400 for the kids. There's no way I'll let them drive my Ultra. I might get rid of the 50 pound muffler on my sled someday. But I would have to think that the pipes will fit your sled. Good luck

·
Registered
608 Posts
Ultrafast
I was just on the SLP website and the only Ultra pipes they had did not fit an SPX. They also had the tuning instructions posted. I just thought this might help.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The way the engines are mounted in the 2 different chassis are why they wont fit. The aggressive chassis had alot more room in the front and the exit for the muffler is back more than the wedge chassis. I have an aggressive chassis XCR 600 and the stock pipes are a joke. The pipes for my 600, the Ultra SPX and the Storm were all the same. You cant put 800 pipes on a 600 and make alot of power. But Polaris wanted to save money, so they made one set of pipes for all 3 sleds. As for a Ultra with a single being as fast as one with tripples, not even close. No 105 hp sled is going to stay with a 150 hp sled, I'm talking the wedge chassis with pipes. The aggressive chassis with the stock pipes was only 135 hp, but would still be faster. Get your self the correct pipes and go smoke some sleds!!!!!!!

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey guys,

How does your Ultra SP run with the SLP triple pipes? I bet it is a rocket, I've heard a stock Ultra SP on the trails, and it sounded like a jet fighter, so I can only dream about an Ultra SP with the good pipes. I'm looking to pick up one as a project sled, to make into a rocket. Let me know what you think of them. I'm refering to the 1996 Ultra SP's in the Wedge Chassis.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I've got a 96 XCR (aggressive style) with a 680 engine in it. The stock single pipe got crunched in an accident so we installed pipes from a SPX...they fit like a charm. It took a little while to figure out which manifold went where and how the pipes crossed but they fit!!

Win if you can...
Loose if you must...
But NEVER stop trying!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts