Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my project. 1988 indy 650. Completely tore down to nuthin and in the process of repainting. Am painting the tunnel white with red mini metal flake. But not like true metal flake, its going to be more of a dusting. The hood is mostly black with white scalaps with the red metal flake in the white. Red hood screens. So the sled looks like its mostly white and black from afar. My delema is what to paint the skid. I got an 02 edge skid and its yellow. Prolly not gona go good with the rest of the sled. So i wana hear your input on the skid color. What color would you guys do or what would look cool. P.S. Still cant upload pics so if anyone can help with that to, it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! But some of the pics are in my profile if you want to see them.

Ok got the pics to upload on my wifes computer do here are a few.

2010329214638923_30823.jpg

2010329214611459_30823.jpg

20108318927554_30823.jpg

2010831893554_30823.jpg

2010831872991_30823.jpg

2010831862695_30823.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Nice paint layout on the hood! Try to find red bogie wheels. And then I think you should paint the torque arms white. You could take it a step further and powder coat the rails (black would look sweet, especially with the white hyfax). Looks great, keep up the work

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankx guys. The tunnel was painted before and it lasted since the mid 90's. So thats not a big worry. wasnt gona paint the rails, just the torque arms. I was thinking white but wanted to see what you guys had in mind. Keep the ideas coming guys.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
polarisguy23 said:
Thankx guys. The tunnel was painted before and it lasted since the mid 90's. So thats not a big worry. wasnt gona paint the rails, just the torque arms. I was thinking white but wanted to see what you guys had in mind. Keep the ideas coming guys.
True about paint on the tunnel. They came from the factory with black paint on a majority of the sleds in the 90's. I don't see why it would be an issue like paint on the rails would be.

Ethan, black torque arms wouldn't look that great IMO. They wouldn't stand out, the torque arms are in the shadows under the tunnel. Plus, Polaris had black torque arms on evey sled all through the 80's and 90's. It would just appear stock. White would make a bold appearance, and catch your eye.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
polarisguy23 said:
True about paint on the tunnel. They came from the factory with black paint on a majority of the sleds in the 90's. I don't see why it would be an issue like paint on the rails would be.

Ethan, black torque arms wouldn't look that great IMO. They wouldn't stand out, the torque arms are in the shadows under the tunnel. Plus, Polaris had black torque arms on evey sled all through the 80's and 90's. It would just appear stock. White would make a bold appearance[/color=red], and catch your eye.

Was thinking on going white but wasnt sure. After all the suspension is going to be packed with white snow most of the time so you wouldnt really be able to tell they were white, right? But white was one of my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
yeah I had thought about the snow packed in there too haha.. I guess you'd only notice it in summer or after you wash the sled

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nikkid said:
The sled does look pretty damn good imho[/color=red], was just worried about paint wear.

Thankx nikkid. Hoping the edge suspension helps with the riding quality. Also going to try to put the front shocks from the same 02 edge on mine. JBSHOCKS said i might have clearance issues. but they are all i have now so im gona try them and see.

·
Registered
61 Posts
polarisguy23 said:
nikkid said:
The sled does look pretty damn good imho[/color=red], was just worried about paint wear.

Thankx nikkid. Hoping the edge suspension helps with the riding quality. Also going to try to put the front shocks from the same 02 edge on mine. JBSHOCKS said i might have clearance issues. but they are all i have now so im gona try them and see.

i have some fox xtra 10 fronts id trade. i'm getting longer/wider rad/tie rods.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Iv got all the new rad/tie rods even new ifs bars. but i guess the clearance issue is in the mounting and pivoting of the shocks apon compression of the shock when riding. are you going to put the edge shocks on a wedge also or are the for an edge? ill see if i can upload some pics of the shocks in a bit.

heres the shocks. got the shocks and the rear skid of craigs list for $180[beer]. Some old guy. I felt kinda bad - kinda[:)]

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
heres those shocks.
20108320128601_30823.jpg

201083201140226_30823.jpg

201083201111726_30823.jpg

·
Registered
61 Posts
polarisguy23 said:
Iv got all the new rad/tie rods even new ifs bars. but i guess the clearance issue is in the mounting and pivoting of the shocks apon compression of the shock when riding. are you going to put the edge shocks on a wedge also or are the for an edge? ill see if i can upload some pics of the shocks in a bit.

heres the shocks. got the shocks and the rear skid of craigs list for $180[beer]. Some old guy. I felt kinda bad - kinda[:)]
thatsa hell of a deal, im looking for a 136 edge skid right now.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what kind. edge?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts