Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1994 Arctic Cat puma 340 wount start, I had it running yesterday it worked fine and I parked it, We got 4 inches of snow last night and the sled was outside, but first it was freezing rain that turned into snow. I never leave it outside except for last night, now I go to start it it wount do anything, it still pulls over fine, But theres no spark, Theres new spark plugs in her 4 days ago, new plug caps last year, she has gas in it, the key switch is hooked up right, I even crossed over the throttle start prevent thing with the propper tool and still wount start. Plus it seems that the choke was frozen or somthing, but it should still start.

If anyone has any idea on what I should do please reply.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Even though you dont think theres spark....

My thoughts are leaning towards bad gas or water in the gas...

Is the sled outside or in a heated garage?... if the fuel in the lines doesnt seem to be moving at all... frozen gas lines. step 1 add HEET or some type of water remover(the whole can) and 2 would be get it inside, or use a hair dryer/heat gun to unfreeze the fuel lines.

BUT... if you really dont think you have spark... DO THIS.

Unscrew 1 spark plug, stick it in the boot, and then with your pointer finger and your thumb hold it to a shiny metal part of the motor. Then be sure not to touch any other part of the sled with your body. We want as much or if not all the electricity to go through the plug as possible. Then make sure the kill switch is up, and the key is on, and have someone give her a big pull. YOu should see lots of blue sparks. If you arent satisfied with this method, you can actually buy a spark tester, they look like a spark plug and they have an alligator clip that you use to ground them. Check both cylinders.

If no spark, then you may want to check the wires, they should have 30K-70K ohms of resistance if you test from end to end with an ohmmeter. If that is good, then test for voltage at the connector for the ignition module. use a volt meter, check for AC and DC voltage... i cant remember which it uses. if you have voltage there, then you have a bad ignition module. If no voltage you have nothing coming off the stator, or a kill switch/key problem, its probabbly a normally open system, so something could be grounding somewhere. There should be a source voltage, like 30-50V, and a smaller turn on voltage, it tells the coil when to spark, its somewhere between 1 and 12V.

you could try to unplug the wires from the key and kill switch, see if that does anything. (normally open=grounding shuts it off)

you could also try to pour about 1/2 oz of gas (half a film can) in each cylinder, then install plugs and pull. If it seems like its going to fire, its a fuel problem, not spark. If it does nothing, then no spark.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your help is appreciated but 3 days ago I just had the seat off drained all the old gas out put new fuel lines on, new fuel filter, put new gas in it, took the spark plug out and put them on the motor pulled her over, and no spark, reconected the ignition, it was fine, I just cant figure it out, I cant see any spark, ill put gas down the cylinder tomorow and see what happens, Its awfull strange I think..
Any more help would be welcome.
Thanks thehawk789

·
Registered
13 Posts
Total newb to the site, but... You mentioned you had freezing rain before the snow. Is it possible you have an open wire somewhere that has ice on it and is now grounded to the sled? Try getting her under cover and dryed out, if she starts you'll just have to do some wire tracing and find a bare wire or connector. Hope that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts