Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 AC ZL 500 with baterryless EFI. i rode it for acouple hours yesterday without a problem. got it running today but it wont stay running . it runs for about 30 seconds or so , then it quits. it revs up to about 4500 rpms all on its own ,then stalls out .its runs when i pull it over again but does the same thing every time. it will bogg out when i give it throttle and quit again. itwas almost below zero last night, i thought that it might be the watered down gas that we have to buy now, frozen in the fuel injection system . but if that was the case why doesit even run to begin with? i put some dry gas in it any way. same problem. changed out the plugs no change and definetly getting fuel. im getting frustrated with it . anyone have the same problem? if so what corrected it ? any suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, wish I could offer some assistance, but actually I have the same sled with the same problem. It ran great when I used it a few days ago, but after a couple -10 degree nights, it tries to start and just sputters, or starts and runs for 10-60 seconds then dies. I've also tried dry gas and new plugs to no avail. I have noticed that the fuel pump is making a whining noise when I pull the sled over and when it is running for the short time... never noticed it before. Maybe time for a new fuel pump? Hopefully someone out there has some ideas or can help?

·
Registered
48 Posts
sounds like fuel freeze to me, need to get those sleds inside for a night and let them warm up. Dry gas is a preventative, not a cure, once the lines or carbs are froze, theres no way to get the dry gas into them....get it in a heated garage for a night or even a few hours and it should take care of the problem, then the dry gas can go to work getting rid of the moisture.

When you let it sit, enough gas when filter through the ice to start it, but not enough to keep it going, I believe the reving is caused by the mixture leaning out as it is starving for fuel.....

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I had a similar problem on the trails. I got towed to a local shop and the kid there took out the jets and sure enough they were frozen. I would put it inside and maybe blow dry the fuel system (Carbs, Lines, Filters) let us know how you turn out.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Bingo! Except no carbs. Batteryless EFI. Other than that though, I think your on the right track. Funny thing is, I have done alot of cold wheather riding with my ZL, like -25 below and parked the sled outside the motel. and I have never had this problem. Then we got two guys on this thread with the same problem.
Originally posted by Arcticthundermi
[br]sounds like fuel freeze to me, need to get those sleds inside for a night and let them warm up. Dry gas is a preventative, not a cure, once the lines or carbs are froze, theres no way to get the dry gas into them....get it in a heated garage for a night or even a few hours and it should take care of the problem, then the dry gas can go to work getting rid of the moisture.

When you let it sit, enough gas when filter through the ice to start it, but not enough to keep it going, I believe the reving is caused by the mixture leaning out as it is starving for fuel.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, hopefully this worked for 500ZL... worked for me. I used a hair dryer to help thaw out the fuel pump and EFI fuel log. Today the temps reached close to 30 degrees, which probably helped as well. After many pulls, each time the engine running a bit longer, it finally came into it and now is running great again. Thanks to all who offered their advise, it worked! Thanks!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Two words guys, DRY GAS, you need to add it every time you fill up. At one of my water-x races in Elmira NY one racer went to a gas station for some 94 for his stocker. We strained the gas through a water seperator and got 3/4 of a cup of water out of 5 gallons. Knowing water is heavier than gas and will sit at the bottom of your tank it can get sucked up pretty fast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts