Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 17 year old son was killed this past winter when he hit an unmarked cable across a farmers driveway. We have started a foundation in his memory, to help prevent this from happening to other snowmobiler's. We have applied for a grant through pepsi. What I need is for everyone to go to www.refresheverything.com and register. when registered go to education and $250,000 grant, please vote and vote daily. Please pass this on to everyone you know. We will be going to farm shows, FFA meetings, snowmobile training classes, etc. talking on safety to snowmobilers. We will also be giving out grants to replace cables with gates. Help us, help other snowmobiler's so our tragedy doesn't have to be yours.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Here is a direct link to it. Good luck!
http://www.refresheverything.com/tannerrubergsavelivesnow

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I applaud your effort to educate other snowmobilers to be on the look out for hidden obstacles. It is unfortunate that something good often has to come from someone else's misfortune.

I don't agree that you should be promoting grants to replace cables with gates, but I do believe that the money should go toward educating the snowmobile community on not only man made obstacles, but natural obstacles. By offering grants to replace cables with gates you are giving me the impression that in some sense you are blaming the accident on the landowner who opened his property to your son's recreation.

I hope that you get the grant and have the opportunity to educate others on the dangers that are presented in snowmobiling to prevent this happening to someone else.

·
Super Moderator
15,519 Posts
I was hurt on a sled in a farmers field that spread cow crap across the trail and left a large rut. I voted for your idea and I would also suggest what the above poster did.. educate riders about safety (things like tekvests)

good luck

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Very worthy cause and it most certainly has my vote. I agree with Matt and Flatlander that the emphasis should be put on educating riders.

As for the cable issue, it may be best for the clubs to work with the landowner to see if the cable can either be removed for the winter or if some sort of reflective marking could be placed on them.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I got to thinking about this a little bit more and not only is it important to educate riders to look out for obstacles but also to educate the general public about them as well. Maybe a landowner may not have even thought about a cable, fence post, or perhaps even a snow pile as being a danger for snowmobilers. So maybe you would want to include something such as a newspaper article or radio advertisement as part of your campaign as well.

Another idea would be to have some sort of a chili supper or something for all the landowners along your club's trails. It would be a pretty inexpensive way to show your appreciation for letting snowmobilers use a part of their property for the trail, and it would give you a good chance to provide a little bit of safety education to them about what makes a safe trail. The event would also serve as a nice meet and greet between the land owners and the club officers. That way if a problem should arise they would know who where to turn to work out a solution instead of just closing the trail section.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i got in an accident last year in a farmers field, his spreader got stuck, so they dug it out, i don't blame the farmer at all, its his property, and he's gracious enough to let me use it as i please. i don't think gates should be made to be put up, why not get a pink flag or a banner to put on the cable. Also riders should made to take a snowmobile safety course. I see alot of guys 20-30 from Ft drum get brand new sleds, iq's fusions, and rush's. 'i've never been on a sled, but i need the baddest sled out there' Alot can't control them, and ride reasonably.
a motorcyclist has to have a license, an auto driver has to have a license, a pwc rider has to have a boaters safety course in ny, why not all snowmobilers? it's a tragic situation that you're in, and i can never fathom how you feel. I agreewith the cause and hope it works out.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
arcticcatmatt said:
I was hurt on a sled in a farmers field that spread cow crap across the trail and left a large rut. I voted for your idea and I would also suggest what the above poster did.. educate riders about safety (things like tekvests)

good luck
Safety, knowledge, and good equipment is key. I will never ride without a tekvest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts