Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 86 Indy 400 which needs some help. I have had my carbs cleaned and the pull cord redone and I'm using new plugs. It also gets good compression in each cylinder. My problem is it's hard to start and when I do get it started it will not go on pavement but it goes on snow fine. Any suggestions on how to fix this.

[red]Moved to The Shop by Polaris-Man[/red]

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
what do you mean not on pavement. if it sits there and smokes the belt, maybe the carbides are dug into the tar and the track has enough traction so it wont spin either.

if it works fine on snow and the rpms are correct for wide open throttle, then everything must be ok.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I mean is that when I go out and I need to cross a street the machine dosen't go anywhere. It rev's up but dosen't move. It dosen't look like it's burning the belt and I have taken the carbides off so it's just the skies. People say it could be the springs/shocks in the front that our pushing the skies down are to tight. But on this sled the spring our not adjustable not to sure what they mean when they say this.
lttlbrch

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
some front shocks have threads on them and you can take the spring and turn it up and down the threads to stiffin it up therefore creating more pressure on the ski's..

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
news flash: sleds don't go well on pavement.

A studded sled usually either digs with the studs and rips up pavement (asphalt), or just spins mercilessly and goes nowhere (concrete). A non-studded sled will go forward, but will not turn. In fact neither will turn on pavement.

So try to do your sledding on the snow eh :)

-Dean

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well how long did it take for you to think of that. I now they don't go well on pavement. But when your out riding you may have to cross somewhere there is pavement and my sled just dosen't go anywhere. Anyways I found out that the shock at the front under the track was a little bent and they said if I put a stronger shock in there it will relieve some presure on the front skies. I'm not to sure but it's wirth the try since I have to replace that shock anyway. Could any of this be caused by warn parts in the clutch or wrong alignment? Sorry I don't have much else to go on with.

lttlbrch

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I've had my sled out twice now and both times it's been fine.[:)] But now when I'm starting off it sound's like it's bogging out then hit's higher rpm and then goes great. Any sugestion on what this could be? I have also noticed that the belt sits even or a bit inside the clutch. I have put a new belt in but it does the same thing and also flaps all over the place.

·
Registered
128 Posts
do you know how that strap on your rear susspension works? sounds like yours is too short pulling her nose down. if you make it too long the sled will lift the skiis up when you root on her. i remember years ago having a yamaha with a steel cleated track (factory)that i had to get off and manually drag of of the road. when i lenthened the strap it really helped it [:D]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts