Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Need input/reviews of new entry level sleds

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  xcr-700 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, “long time listener, first time caller”

The lack of snow of the second year has left the New England dealers with a lot of leftovers and some are actually offering deals!

So I’m looking for,,, hummm how to put this an [red]upgrade/downgrade???[/red]

Got myself a leftover (1999) XCR-700 a couple years ago (still has almost no miles on it!) and then turned my 96 RXL into my “second sled” replacing my 91 Indy 400.

The RXL has not been the best second sled, too heavy and has very heavy steering, also too fast (top speed) for someone who is not very experienced.

So I’m looking at the following models to replace the RXL as my second sled;

[red]340 Classic
340 Touring
SuperSport (550 fan)
Trail Touring (550 fan)
Indy 500 (liquid)[/red]

Not expecting it to get used a lot, and mostly by my wife or sister, or possibly newbees on day trips, and/or any of the “bud’s” that comes up short a machine for any reason (they will be happy for what they get!). So I'm looking for something that is very low maintenance, has a reasonable top speed on hard pack (65 – 75 w/adult rider) but not so fast/quick that an inexperienced will get in trouble with it, or that I cant easily run them down if necessary (the Indy 500 is the only one that I think might be an issue out of this group)

I’m seeing about $1000.00 price spread from the 340 Classic (least expensive) to the Indy 500 (most expensive) and all are 2005 or 2006 models.

I added the touring models as there are a few really good deals out there on these models and I think they may offer a better ride with the 136” track and less likely to ever get stuck.

The 340 Classic looks like [red]"the"[/red] deal with its electric start – PERC reverse – mirrors – Team clutch. I’m not expecting the 340 (Classic or Touring) to be a rocket, just reasonable [red](please let me know if this one is a total dog and not suitable for any adult!)[/red]

The 550 looks good on paper, but is very close to the Indy 500 in price (though it does come with the PERC reverse and Team clutch) but I have seem many on this site write about reliability issues [red](what say you???)[/red].

The Indy 500 for the $1000.00 more is a really great deal, but does not have reverse (real nice for newbees) – electric start (not so much of an issue) - Team clutch (not sure what I loosing here to be truthful.)It looks bulletproof (great engine history), but faster than I need and brings the complexity of liquid cooling into the maintenance fold which I’m looking to minimize. Just not sure that I need this much sled for a second.

Looking for any feedback you care to provide.

Sorry for the long post, I’m probably spending way too much time agonizing over this and should just pick one and get it over.

Many Thanks

George[/font=Script MT Bold]

See less See more
#4 ·
I'd say go with the Super Sport -

It's a fanner so it's not crazy fast but quick and nimble to keep up. It also can sit and idle without overheating and that's less for a driver to worry about.

I don't think you'll be happy with a 340 powerplant for anyone in today's weighty sleds.

If the deal really is killer you could just buy the 500 and put a throttle stop on it. But I don't think the XCR would have the slightest bit of trouble catching it!

Just my .02

Bryan

#5 ·
Thanks Bryan,

I have been leaning toward the SuperSport, seems like the best overall deal.

I was quoted $3000 for the 340 Classic (or a 340 Touring same price), $3750 for the 550 SuperSport, and $3800 for the Indy 500.

All really outstanding deals in my mind.

The 340 Classic is hard to say no to, just because [red]when was the last time you saw a new in the crate machine for $3000 And this one has electric start, PERC reverse, Team clutch, and mirrors!!![/red] Its light weight and virtually no maintenance. What more can I say, its a DEAL!!! [blue]But I am a bit concerned that top speed might be an issue,,,[/blue] [red]I'd like to see 65 mph on hard pack with an adult rider, is that realistic???[/red]

The Super Sport looks really good as it has double the HP of the 340 and just about the same weight. It has the Team clutch and the PERC reverse. Again almost no maintenance and a good balance of features.

The Indy 500, is a blowout deal! Bullet proof motor, good overall sled at a great price, but more power than I need, no reverse, and a bit more maintenance than I was looking for. Still hard to pass up.

So I'm back to square one, all really good machines, so which is the best deal dollar for dollar as a second machine for novice riders and given that it won't get a whole lot of regular use???

Any other opinions???

Thanks

George

#7 ·
Sorry, I can't help you with the top speeds.

I can say that seeing 65 on hardpack with the 340 might be possible, but it won't keep up with you on the twisties.

In my mind, the decision is between the SS and the 500.

But you already stated that the 500 is too much maintenance and speed; but not enough feature so going by your 'rules' it's out of the running. So from my standpoint you've made your decision, and need either a nudge or justification for NOT getting the 'killer 500'...liquid. It's hard to not want a bulletproof liquid like the 500. I understand. Then bend your rules, buy the 500, put a throttle block on it and if someone (or yourself) needs more juice pull the block off and have a good time.

Ha, I didn't help at all there did I?

Bryan

#8 ·
Actually I think you nudged me into the SuperSport, seems like the best overall deal, and I my mind its easier to own a fan cooled for a second sled than a liquid.

Seems to me like the fans just live forever and dont seem to mind sitting a bit and this will be a low usage machine.

Many thanks for the input.

GH

#9 ·
Ok Folks,

Just following up on this thread to close it out as I hate to read other threads and not know that the outcome was. Kinda like a cliff-hanger.

Well in this case I'm sure no one was sitting on the edge of their chair waiting to hear what happened, but I'll wrap it up anyway.

Ended up getting a great price from a local dealer on a 2006 550 Classic and its a sweat machine. Sure glad I went for the 550, its got plenty of zip in the woods but with the current clutching it tops out just over 65!

Not sure whats up with the "Team Clutch" but man this thing is set up to backshift instantly! In the woods and down hill there is no such thing as coasting, it is pulling the belt back out the second you back off the throttle. This thing is either on or off!!!

Super nice ride and all the extras (mirrors - electric start - PERC reverse - and great color!) still needs some breakin time ;-} but so far it looks like a keeper! (not bad for a "second" sled)

Hope the snow holds up with the current heatwave we are getting, wanted to get a few more miles down before the season ends,,,

Thanks for the feedback.

GH

[attachment=63343] [attachment=63344]

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.