Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an indy 400 with a blue spring in the front and havent touched the secondary. In the chaincase I have a 17 tooth on the top and a 37 on the bottom . I havent touched the engine but want to no what to do. I'm thinking of taking 10 000 off the heads and working more with the gears and clutches. Does anybody have any ideas for what to do ?
Any help is greatly appreciated .

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
leave the head alone and get your clutch tuned, then save your money and get a newer,faster,better sled instead throwing money into the older sled..400s are good sleds tho..

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'd do what RMK said. Set your clutch up and just ride it. No matter how much money you sink into it it will only be slightly faster. What year and how many miles are on it. They are known for blowing PTO bearings at about 7-8000 miles. If you are near that you don't want more power.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a 1991 and it has 14000 miles . Ive put on 6000 of them . The only problem I had with it is that the chain in the chaincase snapped . I'm Getting a new chaincase soon . Anybody Know where I can Get one .

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
better get the sled driveable before you think about mods to the motor. Any sled salvage yard would have a used chaincase. Sell the sled and upgrade to something in the mid 90's...with somewhat decent suspension

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Originally posted by Sno-X-treme
[br]better get the sled driveable before you think about mods to the motor. Any sled salvage yard would have a used chaincase. Sell the sled and upgrade to something in the mid 90's...with somewhat decent suspension
Agreed! Back in the day, I went from a 1990 Indy400 to a 1996 Indy500 with the xtra-10 suspension. Night and day difference, it was like riding on a cloud of air. Plus stock vs. stock, it walked on the 400.

Hell, for $2,500 you could buy my xltsp (if it were for sale) which would be infinitely better then the 400, or you could spend $600-700 to pipe and clutch the 400. Or you could save your mod money, sell the 400, and be over half way to a very nice mid 90's long travel sled.

Whatever you do, enjoy.

PS I have no suggestions for you. I rode my 400 from 1990 to 1995, bone stock. Blew the PTO bearing at 4,000mi. Sunk a $1,000 into her and drove it two more years before trading it in.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I kicked it on an '88 400 for a year or two before getting a 91 500. About the only difference between them was condition...the same top speed and exact same crappy suspension. But now, my 97xc440 would walk all over both in speed and suspension. The xcr/xc 440s from 95-98 have potent powerplants. the xcr/xc 600's are even faster but aren't as nimble

1 - 7 of 7 Posts