Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2003 Polaris Classic 700 and like the sled very much all for but one aspect - and that is power!!
I find that it is no match for other 700's and even the Rev 600HO beats it. Needless to say I expected more.[:(!]
Will pipes make a large difference on this machine? If so could someone provide me with a supplier - one that would also know what changes in jetting will be required. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated - great site by the way!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have SLP twin pipes on my 04 800 and I haven't seen a Rev that can touch me..And if that doesn't do it for you put on a clutch kit..

·
Registered
14 Posts
No I hate messing around with clutches..It takes a while..But pipes are easy you might have to jet it a little but ride it first and take the spark plugs out and look at the tips and see what color they are..If their white or black and burnt.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Tim...are you sure your VES system is functioning properly? the polaris 700 twin motor is a very good/strong motor in my opinion. I would take the valves out and clean them also check to be sure that the correct spring is installed in each. If you dont run the expensive oil (synthetic) you will have to clean the valves on a regular basis. But even with synthetic they may carbon up to the point where they dont work properly. Start with that....throw in a new set of spark plugs and see what you've got after your done...if it still doesnt run well, we can do some further diagnosis.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
triumph makes a good point, plus i like his idea for his sled of gearing down, if you dont spend much time over 90 then you wont miss it much. drop a tooth on the top sprocket and you will not notice much on top but on the trail you might notice little things. if you didnt have to reclutch after adding pipes then you are over revving or the pipes didnt add much power, i would only go with the single pipes for the twins, you bought a classic because you must love to start up and ride all day not start your day with jetting and clutching, stay with the chubby single and the easiest clutching you could do with the added power is to go up in wieght aggressiveness and grams and use the secondary to fine tune your rpm. you should see a big improvement on performance but keep the nice easy drive.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Originally posted by ProXR
[br]I have SLP twin pipes on my 04 800 and I haven't seen a Rev that can touch me..And if that doesn't do it for you put on a clutch kit..
Pro XR, some of these things you are saying seem fishy... You say you have already piped your brand new Pro XR 800, and haven't seen a REV that can touch you. Could that be because either you haven't recieved it yet, or all you have done is rip around on the grass a bit? Sorry to be a skeptic but I don't want mis-leading information spread here.

If the Pro XR was released in the spring of 2003 and it's September, You signed up on this forum yesterday, and in your profile you put for "Latest News" that you are waiting for your new Pro XR to come in... It seems fishy that you have already been racing REV's and been modding it.... Sorry, I don't really believe what you are saying.

I would listen more to Triumph and madcow, their responses make more sense, mostly because if you do add a pipe, I know you have to re-clutch to compensate for more power.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much Triumph & Madcow for your responses - they are greatly appreciated.[:)]
Don't get me wrong I don't believe there is something wrong with the motor and I do run the synthetic Polaris VES oil. Eveything is stock on it. I just don't think it comes out of the hole fast enough. I will clean the exhaust valves and talk to my dealer about dropping a tooth. I do not want to take reliabilty away from the sled. Thanks again I think I may hold off on piping it because I will have to start messing around with everything else.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just want to chime in and remind everyone that the Classic 700 comes with the M-10, which tends to knock off some top end power, plus does not transfer weight very well. It's pretty much your worst choice for drag/lake racing. heh heh [:D]

I've ridden a VES 600 Classic with the M-10, and it really pulled well, but seems to hit a wall as you get up to top speed, and the other 600's can walk away from you, albeit slowly, at this point.

Building on this, I am unsure that throwing a bunch of extra power at the sled will drastically improve the top end speed. You'll be at the point of diminishing returns really quickly.

just my 0.02

Pneuman

·
Registered
8 Posts
first is first get rid of your polish sausage maker and by a real sled lol. just kidding tim, first get a good dealer then drop the hay.. port your cylinders shave your heads get d&d twin pipes now that they make them for polaris, do your jetting and clutch and not to mention take the shelf out of your air box and like me you will kill those prox 800's all week long.[;)] if you know what I MEAN. bad cat out.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Originally posted by Polaris-Man
[br]
Originally posted by ProXR
[br]I have SLP twin pipes on my 04 800 and I haven't seen a Rev that can touch me..And if that doesn't do it for you put on a clutch kit..
Pro XR, some of these things you are saying seem fishy... You say you have already piped your brand new Pro XR 800, and haven't seen a REV that can touch you. Could that be because either you haven't recieved it yet, or all you have done is rip around on the grass a bit? Sorry to be a skeptic but I don't want mis-leading information spread here.

If the Pro XR was released in the spring of 2003 and it's September, You signed up on this forum yesterday, and in your profile you put for "Latest News" that you are waiting for your new Pro XR to come in... It seems fishy that you have already been racing REV's and been modding it.... Sorry, I don't really believe what you are saying.

I would listen more to Triumph and madcow, their responses make more sense, mostly because if you do add a pipe, I know you have to re-clutch to compensate for more power.

I had a good laugh with Polaris man, but man, he does have a point regarding on ProXR's atatement. I also agree - anytime you add on pipes, you do have to deal with jetting and/or clutching issues. Good one Polarisman. WL.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Tim, My question is why do you care? You bought your sled for comfort not power. If you wanted to race you could have bought a different sled. So what if they are a little faster. You have the benefit of not feeling all the bumps that are shaking them. Don't sweat the small sh*t and just enjoy your sled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Tim I just read your post.I think you should check out the latest issue of Snowtech magazine. Read the "Test Fleet" article specifily the one about the 2003 polaris XC SP M-10 ACE.Your power problem may come from a problem with the CDI . "later they fessed up to it : the poor power and the lacking fuel economy were indeed caused by changes to the ignition programming." I picked up a new 700 Switchback and asked my dealer about this. He told me that the temp sensors were programmed to retard timing too early.This has been changed for 2004 model year and should be covered under your warranty.Befor you start spending your hard earned cash on power ups check this out.
Good Luck and keep the rubber side down
jfk

·
Registered
2 Posts
some good reading.... I ride a similar sled 02 700 xcsp i snow checked it with the M10 so I know what you are saying. I haven't heard many good things about polaris ves oil and I agree with cleaning the valves... I run Amsoil myself. True the M10 is slow with the weight transfer that's why the dual carbides are needed, that's a top end issue... check the small things belt etc. do your clutches need cleaning?
If you have electric start make sure when it starts that you turn the key to the premium fuel setting, maybe you are running it on the 87 octane switch if so that's a big boost in power right there. The little things my friend. Moter has ton's of grunt and is a class leader so I think you problems are minor.....
Then go for a good clutch kit.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JFK,Thankyou very much for the very informative reply - my dealer mentioned this to me but said it did not apply to the Classics. I have asked him to change it regardless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just installed an SLP performance kit in my 2004 800 Classic, and it seems to solve my "power problem."
This rig was about 5 Mph slower than my 2002 XC 800 SPX and didn't have as much acceleration either, although the first thing I did when I got it was to remove the battery and battery mount and the starter and starter ring.
One thing I noticed when I was installing the new SLP parts was that the motor anti-torque adjustment was off by about 1/4". You know, that little rubber pad that keeps the motor from twisting in the motor mounts? That, I am sure was part of my power problem.
That, along with proper clutch alignment is surprisingly important.
I don't get much opportunity to race other riders here as there are thousands of square miles of open space and I don't often see anyone on a hot rig going in the same direction. That said, I would not hesitate to pit my 160 hp 800 classic against anything around here. Eight-hundred HO's, 700 Firecats, or even the guy with the new 1000 Ski-doo here. There's more to riding fast on wild, cross-country tails than having a powerful rig.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
ya, if you have the m-10, you will loose a lot of top end speed, nature of the beast, one out of our riding group went from a 600 xtra -10 to one with m-10, the older one would eat the newer on alive all day long in drags and top end, but he liked the new ride of the m-10 in the rough stuff so much more.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a Polaris 700 Classic that is still under warranty until March, 2005.

I like everything about the sled except the mileage. Plainly put - it stinks. I ride with my neighbour who has a XCSP 700. The only difference that is noticeable is that his machine does not have M10 suspension, does not have PERC and does not have a secondary roller clutch.

For example, we rode the last three times together on the exact trails doing the exact speeds as we mostly ride opposite each other except on bush trails. We both started the ride with full tanks. We would fuel at between 1/4 and 1/3 tanks of fuel consumed. Each time my sled would gobble up and extra 7 to 8 litres of fuel.

Now the suspension may be a bit more stiff or tight, and the roller clutch may shift somewhat different, BUT 7 to 8 litres more fuel isn't reasonable in my oponion.

I have had the track adjusted and re-adjusted, carbs checked, guillotines cleaned, use VES oil and belt replaced. I presently have 1,475 miles on this sled.

It was suggested to me that the roller secondary might required a Helix change. I know nothing about a Helix but I did find the weights etc. on the Polaris site for the different performance adjustments to the Helix. There was also the angle, specifications, etc. that would presumably change the character and performance of the secondary roller clutch. I was suprised when after contacting Polaris that I was told to confer with my dealer for recommendations of information on how the performance of the sled would be affected. My dealer is up to his "ying yang" running around looking after his dealership as he is from a very small location and covers a lot of territory with deliveries etc., not to mention the upcoming boating season.

I was also told by my dearler that the CDI changeout (re-programming) does not pertain to my sled as per the Polaris bulletin. I can't get a straight answer from Polaris on this subject. I was told by my dealer that the adjustment involves the temperature sensors but this IN NO WAY affects the performance of the gas mileage.

To put it blunty, I am PO'd with Polaris in a mighty big way and am even comtemplating hauling this slug of a performer down to Minnesota and asking for an audience with senior management.

I have read a few posts on this formum that make mention of the CDI changeout but I haven't been able to get my hands or any information on the prescribed bulletin. Does anyone out there have this information? I would certainly appreciate being able to reference it for my own satisfaction.

For now, I am really disallusioned with support from all parties involved including Polaris. On a buy recommendation of Polaris support I would give them a big fat zero.

Thank you for reading this lenghty epistle and would appreciate and accept any critcism or recommendation on how to reduce the fuel consumption on this sled.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Tim i saw in a reply you said it is sluggish outta the hole...I highly recomend dropping two teeth on your top gear...I dont know what kind of riding you do but I have a 2003 800 and i started by dropping two teeth and it made a world of difference...on the trails it is amazing the pick up it has...i had to play around with my rear shocks to get the back end pressure down but it hauls outta the whole..it has a 1.25 track and it just takes off (no studs)...i do the occasional race but nothing too long so i dont need the top end but the sled gets to 90 very quick...i raced coolx2 on his 2004 prox2 800 that had a clucth kit and 144 studs and he said i took him by about 3-4 sled lentghs so i highly recomend the regear for holeshot or reeds and spacers was what i did next..any questions just ask

·
Registered
950 Posts
i dont necessarily think you need more power you just need to find ways to optmize the power you have by gears and/or clutch work

1 - 20 of 21 Posts