Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a sled that can handle the terrain of the Sierra-Nevadas. I'll probably be riding in elevations ranging from 6000' to 8000' and the snow is usually deep powder. I'm also concerned about future emission restrictions around the area I live. I've heard rumors that 2-strokes may be banned in certain US Forest Land areas, so naturally I'm interested in the new 4-stroke technology. I'm a novice, but I have lot of dirt bike experience -- big whoop! [:D] Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

I'd also be very interested in hearing from anyone that rides around the Lake Tahoe area.

[:)]

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
There ain't to much choice for 4-strokes, Yamaha has the regular and mountain RX1, it has the R1 motor in it, and Arctic Cat is suposed to has a mid season production of the F9, it will have the 100 GSXR Suzuki motor in it, and they have a 4-stroke trail machine, but it only has something like 53 HP, I would wait for the cat and see how good it is, compare the RX1, to the F9, I wouldn't reccomend the 4-stroke trail, to heavy, with not enought HP. I think I would go with the Arctic Cat Unless it has major problems, and it will probably be lighter in weight.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply ZRT 600. I'm not anti 2-stroke, I simply have concerns about emission problems in the future. I don't want to buy a machine and then not have any where to ride it. I was hoping that someone might have some info about this as well.

I would like to hear any 2-stroke recommendations too. [:)]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I would say for 2 strokes you can't go wrong with any of Polaris's mountain sled, just depends what size you want(or budget). I would say a 151 would be ideal for your deep powder need, do you ride many trails? If you want the baddest stock mountain sled on the market right now..... I would give it up to the 03 900 1m from AC, what's your budget like? new or used? any size or brand preference? This info would also be helpful!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Polaris all the way, if your on a tight budget but want a kick ass sled that's decent 700 SKS 144nice sled, not as much as the RMKs but just was good (kinda). if you got a deep pocket book...800 vertical edge 159, the baddest deep snow machine around. but spendy, good luck on finding a sled that was just my 2 cents

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Alaskangold and Sean986.

My budget is meager right now -- so I'm looking at used sleds first. No particular brand preference, but I've always been fond of Arctic Cat and Ski-Doos. I've been told by others to stay away from Yamahas, but have never been given a reasonable explanation as to why. I probably won't ride as many trails as I will open areas, but I do want a flexible machine. What are the price points in good used mountain sleds?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well at the end of this year we sell our sleds, we get them from polaris to ride for the winter, for free and try to sel them, and we have a 2003 700 SKS and a 2003 ProX 600 that will be for sale in the end of march if you cant wait that long.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Sean, just read your profile. Good hockey team you have up there. I remember the Christian brothers playing in the State High School hockey tournament -- was that the 70's? You gotta be part canuck up there! [:D]

Anyway, Probably a lttle far to retrieve a sled from Roseau -- I'm in California now. Do you provide free shipping???

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey Sizz,

Nice to see a familiar face from the HondaXR.com forum! I’m Mike_XR650L there… I’ve been lurking in the background here for a while, but haven’t had a chance to post anything yet (busy getting ready for the holidays). Everyone here seems really helpful and friendly just like the XR forum, so you’ve come to the right place. As you may know already, I don’t know a heck of a lot about my XR, but I have been riding sleds since the age of 5 so I’ll help you in any way I can.

As far as a sled goes, ALL of the manufacturers make great sleds nowadays. I had a Yamaha for many years, and it was a great sled. I ride a Polaris now, and I love that too. I’ve got a buddy that keeps his Arctic Cat at my house, and I’ve ridden that many times – nice sled! Also have several friends that ride ski-doo’s, and they love theirs too. Sorry to ramble, I just wanted to prove the point that they’re all great sleds, it’s really just your preference, and if your buying used, it also depends what you can find the best deal on.

You’ll want to make sure you get a long track sled with a good size lug. I would say a 600cc would be the size to get (perfect power to weight ratio in my opinion), but I don’t have a lot of mountain riding experience so I’ll leave that to others to comment on. When buying used – just like a bike – make sure the sled has been well maintained. Tip the sled up on its side and check the whole track. If you have access to a compression tester, check that as well. Do your research on sled maintenance, and then ask the seller a lot of questions about what they’ve done, or had done. Do you have any friends or family that have been riding sleds for years? It would be a good idea to bring them along if you do. A lot of the time you can tell just by looking at a sled how the person has taken care of it, so trust your instincts. Also, the NADA and Kelley Blue Book web sites give the book values for used sleds, so check them out when you’ve found a potential purchase.

Good luck with your search…

Oh, And hello to everyone else!!!![:D]

-Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey thanks Mike! I thought I might run into some fellow XR riders here. [:)] Yeah, I may know a lot about dirt bikes, but when it comes to sleds I'm a rank novice. It's time I bite the bullet and buy a sled though!

There is an adventure touring company up here that routinely sells used sleds. Occasionally they will have an Arctic Cat 600 Powder Special for sale. Anybody have any thoughts about this sled?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
That would be a good first sled. Probably and EFI so you won't have to mess with the jetting for temp and altitude. The 600 is a good motor and should be dependable even after being a rental unit. (Normally rentals are pretty well maintained) That particular sled has a good rear skid and front suspension (translation handles pretty good in all conditions) and should be plenty machine for your first sled (depending on your size) if you are over say 225 you might want to consider a different manufaturers 700. (Don't buy a Powder Special 700)
My $.02

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Originally posted by 2000TCMC
[br]Normally rentals are pretty well maintained
I would have to disagree. Usually people that rent sleds just take them and have no respect. They ride them like crazy...

Just speaking from personal experiance.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm from southern Bc and do a lot of hillclimbing and deep powder riding. My dad rides a 2000 summit 700 standard and i ride the 01 summit 800 standard. They are both great sleds. As your first sled, i wouldn't go with a track thats longer than a 144 as they can be a little hard to handle depending on your expirience. Around here, there a lot of doos and polaris. The one thing a lot of people complain about how tippy feeling the summit is, personally, i prefer that feeling because it makes it really easy to side hill and to carve turns. I've ridden polaris and ski doo all my life and prefer the feel of ski doo, the polaris's seem to plow the snow a lot more than ski doo, but they may have changed that since i was riding a 95 XLT sp. To me, the best all round sled was about the 99 summit 670, cheap to buy, reliable, handle very nicely, don't need to worry about jetting because of the HAC system. Sorry to go on and on about all this, but this is my life :) Good luck to you

Scott

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
SledHead,
I would agree that the sleds may get ridden hard, but a rental shops existence depends on whether they can provide equipment that works. I know a guy who used to run rentals up here and he took excellent care of the machines. I may be jaded by that knowledge. (It is probable that not every rental shop takes that good of care of there machines)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would stay away from the powder specials and powder extremes. I don't really know anyone who liked those sleds alot. If you really like AC the newer MC's are nice and the 1M looks like a real BADASS!! I too have a pretty strict budget so when I was looking I loked for 2 sleds that I knew to be the best in my price range and those were the Summit X and the 700 RMK. I would not shy away from the Yammie MM 700. I rode an 01 Saturday that had triple SLP's on it and it was a damn nice machine. one thing about the MM's is that they are a little mote trail friendly than the RMK's and Summits. At that elevation you will probably want something bigger than a 600. My bro bought a 600 MM cuz he had to have a Yammie and now he is kicken himself that he didn't buy a 670 Summit that was the same price.

G

·
I agree with snorider. A 700 with 144" is a good entry level sled with great performance for the money. You can pick up used 2002's at bargain prices. For around $4500-5000 depending on the milage. I passed up a 2002 Summit 700 144" that went for $4200. It was a rental but very well maintained. 2000 miles on it. Looked like new and mostly groomed stuff.
I wouldn't get to shook up about the 4 stroke fever. By the time the laws are passed that stop you from riding, you will be on your 2nd or third sled. I think the 4 stoke fever will go like the outboard boat industry, direct injection 2 strokes. Evenrude and Johnson already make 2 stroke outboards the meet all the california emmisions, and as we all know Bombardiar is the parent company for Evenrude, Johnson, and SKI-DOO. Ski doo already makes a semi-direct injection 800 2-stroke.
Don't get me wrong, the RX-1 is a kick ass machine if you ride the lakes and groomed stuff but at 600 LBs, in the deep stuff, it will go down like the titanic. And just as tough to bring back to the surface.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. I have a used Mountain Cat lined up to buy. It is from a rental company, but not a rental machine. It was one of the guide's machines. (2002 800 144)

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Sizzler,
Yeah that ought to get you around for your first sled!

Good choice of sled, OK I'm a Cat guy, Be careful with that much power on your first couple of rides until you get used to it.

Welcome to the best sport on earth.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Congrats Sizzler! Just be careful!!! That thing is going to be scary fast!!![:D]

PS- My first sled was a '72 Elan 250, so you've got quite a sled there for a first ride...[}:)]

Good luck!

-Mike

1 - 20 of 25 Posts