Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im new here and iv gota few questions about a 1984 indy trail 440 and it has been acting up, and it bogs out at like 4000 rpms, and now it wont even start, and on top of that somewheres in my last ride i lost my air fuel screw for my mikuni carb.. if u have any idea what might be wrong with it or u have an extra air fuel screw? plz let me know thx

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
well if you lost your air fuel screw thats probably your problem, you have to much air to fuel mixture in your system, if it was working itself out it would explain why it would start to act funny, it was not getting the proper mix.. sooo id look on ebay or try the parts fourm on here, maybe someone will have one laying around froma n old sled..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bj.hardy said:
well if you lost your air fuel screw thats probably your problem, you have to much air to fuel mixture in your system, if it was working itself out it would explain why it would start to act funny, it was not getting the proper mix.. sooo id look on ebay or try the parts fourm on here, maybe someone will have one laying around froma n old sled..
yea im a newbie so im just learning the site..

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
88400 said:
Time to do a compression test.
that too,, how mnay miles are actually on the sled?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bj.hardy said:
88400 said:
Time to do a compression test.
that too,, how mnay miles are actually on the sled?
there is at least a 100XXXon it and i did a compression test and it was fine. but it was acting like it was only running on one cyl.?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
maybe stator coils bad wires,,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bj.hardy said:
maybe stator coils bad wires,,
i get spark but idfk.. its kinda ticked me off, i gave up on it cause it hadnt been running right all season. now we just got a ton more snow and i wanna ride it but its not starting and then i realized i lost my screw. and i think over the summer if i get it running im going to swap the skids to the xtra 10s!!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
if it's getting spark and there is sufficient compression, then the reason why it seems like its only running on one cylinder is because gas isn't getting to the combustion chamber --> this is because you don't have your air screw.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
if it's getting spark and there is sufficient compression, then the reason why it seems like its only running on one cylinder is because gas isn't getting to the combustion chamber --> this is because you don't have your air screw.
yeah but when i had it it would run on one till it got over 4000 rpms then they would both kick in and it go like a mother.. but now i lost my screw and it wont even start. so IF U HAVE A SCREW PLZ LET ME KNOW!!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
indy_trail_440 said:
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
yeah but when i had it it would run on one till it got over 4000 rpms then they would both kick in and it go like a mother.. but now i lost my screw and it wont even start. so IF U HAVE A SCREW PLZ LET ME KNOW!!
craigslist your area. wouldn't hurt to clean the pilot jets either

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
indy_trail_440 said:
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
craigslist your area. wouldn't hurt to clean the pilot jets either
iv cleaned the carbs and all the jets twice, and rebuilt the fuel pump too and put a new filter on.yeah there isn't a single carb or junk sled on craigslist in my area that will give up the screw.. im just wondering if u guys have an old one kicking around with the spring??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did you say 100,xxx miles? Wow, that's awesome, i'd bury it in the back yard and call er done.
Why not just buy the air screw? Can't be that much. Also, do you have any vacuum on the pump line when the engine turns over?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
air screw is $6.61 brand new. the spring is $3.31.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah but i dont have a card to buy this with and my jeep is not on the road yet so i have no way of getting to the parts store..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jon24 said:
the slow system of the carb would probably stop at 4000 rpms thats why it would run good after
yeah i have no idea whats wrong with it but it is really ticking me off. any ideas would help so lets hear em!!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
it has to be the missing screw, are u buring more oil/less same with gas

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cnewhook said:
Did you say 100,xxx miles? Wow, that's awesome, i'd bury it in the back yard and call er done.
Why not just buy the air screw? Can't be that much. Also, do you have any vacuum on the pump line when the engine turns over?
im sorry it only has 25xx on it LOL

bj.hardy said:
it has to be the missing screw, are u buring more oil/less same with gas
guys its not the screw i drained the base to day and it fired right up but still bogged out at 4000 rpms so im lost but at least it runs a lil!! LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts