Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im kinda new to whole snowmobile sean ive rode my buddys 2000 800 rmk a few time's this year and i use to ride a lot when i was kid now im thinking about buying his 800 rmk the engine has been rebuilt about 600 miles ago and the crank has been trued and welded and it is has the double bearing on it also has a 144 track 3 inch risers and simons skis other thank that its stock. my only problem is the thing has been riden hard and banged up pritty good over the years. and ive been looking around and i can get a 2001 summit highmark 151 track w/ around 500 miles on bottom and top end eng. sled is close to stock w/ fly bar and riser, ported track, and stinger. for around the same price and in better shape. what do you think is a better sled thanks?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I would go with the summit, depends on how many miles it has on it. I know one of my dads friends has one for his wife and its a beast. You probably couldnt really go wrong with either of those sleds, the best part about your buddys even though it has been used pretty hard is you know its history.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the rmk has around 3600 miles on it i no he just went threw the track and also put a new shock in the back also i forgot about that. i dont no about the summit just yet. is 3600 mile a lot.

·
Registered
313 Posts
3600 is not allot of miles for an 01. Sounds like the summit would be a better sled to me. But like empire said at least u know the history of the rmk.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i would be all for the rmk but the hood has a kink in the front the front bumper is broke the windsheild is cracked in the very back where the grab bar is the that sections is loose looks like new rivets will fix that, one of the trailing arms has been busted and welded he has a new one for that, on the other hand he does have several spare parts for it. mostly suspension parts is there a after market hood and maybe a bumper i can get for it. maybe im over reacting is this normal damage for a sled.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
cvalcore said:
i would be all for the rmk but the hood has a kink in the front the front bumper is broke the windsheild is cracked in the very back where the grab bar is the that sections is loose looks like new rivets will fix that, one of the trailing arms has been busted and welded he has a new one for that, on the other hand he does have several spare parts for it. mostly suspension parts is there a after market hood and maybe a bumper i can get for it. maybe im over reacting is this normal damage for a sled.
That sled sounds like its had one of hell of a life. I would say thats the same as a car having a dented door, quarter panel, and hood. Also has a ton of scratches and a broken lower control arm. The interior also isnt perfect but its alright.

I'd say its time to go take a look at a Summit!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats a good way of putting it

what are the thing's to look out for on the ski doo's i no on the rmk's its the crank and bearing's

·
Registered
220 Posts
Don't feel responsible to buy your "buddies" sled. If it's beat up, then it's beat up. Let him push it off on someone else.
I'm not a mountain sledder but I have read nothing negetive, from the the mags I thoroughly read, about the Ski Doo, Summit.
Look at my sled. It's a '96 and still looks beutiful. To me a banged-up sled is not normal, and even if it is "normal", who the
heck wants a sled thats looks like crap the day you buy it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i agree with you 100% thats why i came on here i only no a couple people that ride snowmobile's and they wouldent give me a straight answer im going to look around for 2 or 3 weeks and see whats out there. it cant hurt to look around. is there any thing i should look for and anyhting a should steer clear of. i dont really wont to spend over $2200 on one right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
cvalcore said:
ok im kinda new to whole snowmobile sean ive rode my buddys 2000 800 rmk a few time's this year and i use to ride a lot when i was kid now im thinking about buying his 800 rmk the engine has been rebuilt about 600 miles ago and the crank has been trued and welded and it is has the double bearing on it also has a 144 track 3 inch risers and simons skis other thank that its stock. my only problem is the thing has been riden hard and banged up pritty good over the years. and ive been looking around and i can get a 2001 summit highmark 151 track w/ around 500 miles on bottom and top end eng. sled is close to stock w/ fly bar and riser, ported track, and stinger. for around the same price and in better shape. what do you think is a better sled thanks?
id say the rmk if they were both in the same condition but as it was ridden hard id go with the ski doo buddy

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Personally I'd take the RMK, mostly because I miss mine. But also because Doo had some ring flaking issues, however, if the summit was rebuilt maybe they put good rings in it? If so you might wanna take the summit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so the ski doo's have ring problems so im going to want one that's been gone threw also i plan on painting what ever sled i get any how and looking around i can get a used rmk hood for about $50 not sure on the windshield or bumper i don't want my sled to look like anyone else's sled i don't like to have anything that will look like some else's my banshee is all custom along with my trucks. and anything else i have owned i want it to be my own!

alright how about this beside the fact that it's beat up witch sled is a better sled i would like to do a head, pipes and a can, some reed's and re jet the carb's. or are there better things to do for the money i have a banshee and im use to making it go fast do the same rules apply to a 2 stroke sled.

·
Registered
220 Posts
cvalcore said:
i agree with you 100% thats why i came on here i only no a couple people that ride snowmobile's and they wouldent give me a straight answer im going to look around for 2 or 3 weeks and see whats out there. it cant hurt to look around. is there any thing i should look for and anyhting a should steer clear of. i dont really wont to spend over $2200 on one right now.
Lots of good sleds out there from the mid 90's for under $2g's. When it comes to used, I recommend Polaris because of repair-ability. They seem to be the least expensive and have the most availability for parts. I got my XCR SP with only 4500 miles for $1600, delivered from 75 miles away, from a Craigs List posting in Appleton, Wis..

·
Registered
28 Posts
cvalcore said:
Go with the summit all the way it has less miles and by the way it sounded wasnt rode that hard like the rmk was.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well the summit sold this morning before i could look at it but there are several others that are in the same price range i seam to be finding more 800 rmk's than summits for the price rang.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts