Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and did not find the answer I was looking for.

For my XLT, I want to get a newer primary clutch. Will one from a XC fit? What other ones can I use. I can't find any info on the Liberty vs. Fugi tapers.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what is confusing me:
2010101185520671_24996.jpg
But then here:
http://www.hiperf.com/acatalog/Snowmobile_Parts_Polaris_Drive_Clutch_131.html
It shows eight different ones. [confused]

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Basically any clutch from a Fugi will fit. As long as it's not the light weight p-90. The Liberty's have a slightly different taper if I remember correctly.

I think the XCR/XLT is the Narrow roller.

D

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Any fuji clutch will fit.

No liberty clutch will fit.

the narrow vs wide roller I don't recall offhand, other than I know the 680, 700, 750, and 800 are all wide roller.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, got a really nice secondary off a '99 xc for $20. They screwed up on the price.[thumb] (He actually wanted $60, but his buddy told me a lower price) Also got a nice Comet primary for $75. Just have to pull apart, clean and run. Also got a couple of new, aftermarket helixes for a couple of bucks, and the one I really wanted too. Blue spring for primary, silver spring for secondary, and lots more junk I really didn't need.[thumb][thumb]

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Holy scnikies, do not under-estimate the importance of good a secondary clutch...

I rebuilt my primary and secondary clutches today on my new (to me) SKS, and had a bug in my secondary, so just for a grin I replaced it with the secondary from my pile of spares...

Well, I never thought I'd see it, but it ripped a nice wheelie, and held it for 100' or so, with my 400 lb buddy on it... If he didn't get a call about his brother having a heart attack, he'd have got vid of me ripping a nice wheelie with it that I could post.

But, that's lust the way life is..........

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's the surprises like that, that make it worth it.

Got another question though:

The secondary I got is off of a '99 XC 500. I looked up the belt for it and it says it's a 28 degree. I checked the sheaves and the angle is 32 degrees. How the heck does that work?? I want to run a wider belt to get that "overdrive", but can I run a 28 degree belt safely with 32 degree sheaves?

So far, Comet primary with blue spring(Polaris blue) with A-2 weights-48 grams, rebuilt secondary with silver spring, and 42-34 helix. Ran it on the stand and it hits and holds at 7800 rpm all the way up through the speedo. Sound about right? Will things change much when actually riding it?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Im pretty sure that the primary and secondary need to have the same degree deflection, as does the belt, or else you shred the belt. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both my clutches are 32 degree. How does Polaris get away with running a 28 degree belt on a 32 degree sheave? Like on the XC clutch I got. Right now I have a 3211042 belt. I heard that I could run a 3211074 or 3211075. These are just a little longer, but the wider ones.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts