Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I picked up a 98 700 rmk motor to rebuild. It had water get in the case and froze up the crank bearings. I have all the stuff i need to fix it, just need the cases and the stator from this one, but i can't get the flywheel off. It actually broke my puller, pulled the threads right off one of the bolts, and that was after two days of soaking in penetrating oil. I'm thinking I might need to get out the hot wrench on this thing, but i guess thats my last resort. I don't need the flywheel either, as I have another one, I just need the stator. So if anyone has some ideas on how to get the flywheel off, let me know. The second issue is this, the motor came with a comet 108 clutch, does this clutch need a different puller? I have a big block puller that i've used on all the other my other 700's with no problems, but i don't see anything else listed for comet clutches. If anyone has any ideas here either, let me know, or if there is a different puller for comet clutches, let me know. Thanks,

·
Registered
855 Posts
Try tapping on the puller when you have it tight as hell, if that doesn't work you will need to upgrade your bolts that fasten the puller to fly wheel go to a larger size and better grade and re-tap the fly wheel threads, we had to do this on a Arctic Cat pain in the A$$, also use stud backers as washers they are way stronger and if all else fails get the puller extremely tight and tap it a could times and leave it like that all night, by morning if your lucky it will be off. hope any of this helps. 98700xcBB

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
may need a better puller ,and if you want to heat it ,use a heat gun ,not a fire wrench

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
STOP!!!!! I had the 108 on my RXL. I had a puller from the stock clutch, and tried to use it on the Comet. this was when I was much younger, maybe 5 years ago,so statue of dumbness has passed. By the time I had the 108 off, I had a nice pretzel of a puller. And a dealership bill of 100.00 to crank the puller off, took the 4 hours. Make sure alot of lube on threads and the correct puller, mine might have been different, but I doubt it. The RXL was a 95

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't even attempt use the stock puller on the clutch, the puller is significantly too small in diameter and its too long, hence my question about another type of puller. If anyone knows of the correct 108 puller, let me know.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, found out there is a different puller for comet clutches, now I just have to figure out what kind of 108 it is, there are options for:

-9/16" bolt
-5/8" thread

guess i'll just thread a 5/8" bolt into it and see if thats what the threads are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.