Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been trying to sell me sled for like 3 weeks now. But only 6 emails in the 3 weeks, but nobody ever actually comes when they ask if I'm around... or calls when they said they would... My sled is listed online for $400-$800 less than any other 2001 xcsp currently for sale in most of Ontario,and is in great condition with a fully rebuilt motor, rebuilt clutches, rebuilt suspension, new seat cover, clutch kit and some other goodies. And I am fairly flexible on my price.! Does anyone see any faults with my ad or pictures to scare people away? Anything I am missing? Anything I should add or take away?

Opinions wanted! Please!

P.S, nobody comment on my price if your in the U.S without realizing Canadians pay a lot more than you guys do for snowmobiles.

Here's the Ad:
http://sudbury.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-snowmobiles-2001-Polaris-xcsp-500-2500-O-B-O-W0QQAdIdZ240414445

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I donk know man, looks pretty good to me. Maybe people are assuming that with all that work that it has ton of miles or was ridden hard. But the work/parts are all there. I just think when you list all the work youve had done it might make people think the worst. Maybe cut down on your details a little and just say all new, instead of rebuilt, and all seasonal maintenence has already been done. Then whe/if someone comes to look at you can go into detail if they ask.

Good luck with the sale

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
/\ what he said. Some people just automatically think that something was wrong if it has lots of parts are replaced.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Yes, too much detail. Just say that it is very well maintained. If you get call, then you can tell them the details. First you want them to get their foot in the door, and then you let them in.

Also, I think the two pictures where you show the half torn apart cars in the shop is a huge fright to people. It shows that you are mechanically inclined and know how to fix things. If you know how to fix things, then it's possible the sled's been crashed, etc. The rebuild 150 miles ago might turn people away, they will question why it had to be rebuilt.

I think the fact that it doesn't have the stock look means you only have a smaller audience to sell to. That is, the audience who likes no decals, tall risers, and short windshields. This audience is typically teens, who don't have money.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Couldn't have worded it any better ^^^

Some things i look for are clean garages and what else they have in the garage. I hesitate and most of the time wont bother with people with dirty garages and a bunch of stuff torn apart. But thats just me. Also, even being 17, im more opt to buy a sled from an older fella that has the 10 ft tall windsheild and no mods, then a modded sled owned by a 20 year old...

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I don't look at a rebuilt motor as a good selling point. My Edge 600 has 6,500 miles and it's never been rebuilt. I beat my sled sort of hard, so I look at a rebuilt sled and figure it's really been abused. Also, who knows if a rebuild went far enough? Did someone just do the top end when the crank needed work too?

Cut down A LOT of the details you have on there. Details are for the phone, or when someone comes to look. A couple of your pictures make the bellypan look all black and discolored. Take a few new pics. How many miles on the chassis? When I see rebuilt Liberty 500 with no mention of miles on the chassis, I assume it has 8,500 miles, or it was abused.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Vamped400 said:
Couldn't have worded it any better ^^^
im more opt to buy a sled from an older fella that has the 10 ft tall windsheild and no mods, then a modded sled owned by a 20 year old...
x2. I had bought my sled bone stock and mint from a Grandpa when I was 17. Yes, I want a few mods that suit my taste. The only way I know if it's done right is if I do them myself. The best people to buy from are meticulous and/or old people. You want a sled that has been ridden easy and been maintained exceptionally well.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rubi said:
I don't look at a rebuilt motor as a good selling point. My Edge 600 has 6,500 miles and it's never been rebuilt. I beat my sled sort of hard, so I look at a rebuilt sled and figure it's really been abused. Also, who knows if a rebuild went far enough? Did someone just do the top end when the crank needed work too?

Cut down A LOT of the details you have on there. Details are for the phone, or when someone comes to look. A couple of your pictures make the bellypan look all black and discolored. Take a few new pics. How many miles on the chassis? When I see rebuilt Liberty 500 with no mention of miles on the chassis, I assume it has 8,500 miles, or it was abused.
Ok, I will cut down on the details, with the belly pan, just something with the camera, no discoloration. The chassis has 7300 miles, But I bought it from a 55 year old(original owner)I only put 1500 miles on it. He was a tall lad, hence the 3.5" riser, but I took off the decals because I didn't like the stock decals. My shocks were all re-charged (just a nitrogen charge) because I can get it done for free, and I get all snowmobile parts at cost (hence the rebuilt clutches) I rebuilt the motor because the one crank bearing went, But I thought why just get my crank refurbished and not do the whole motor when the motor is already out and apart? And the flywheel, lol, I dropped it onto a concrete floor, and a magnet fell off. Had to buy a new one. Oh, and it comes with a taller windshield as well, so it's the buyers choice. The only thing wrong with it is the exhaust springs are too long at the Y-pipe, so it leaks a little bit.

Thanks guys!

Edit: How's the corrections in the ad look? better?

·
Registered
634 Posts
^^ well that all sounds great but just remember, all that stuff said should be saved for a phone conversation or when some one comes and looks at it.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
jesse500 said:
Rubi said:

Ok, I will cut down on the details, with the belly pan, just something with the camera, no discoloration. The chassis has 7300 miles, But I bought it from a 55 year old(original owner)I only put 1500 miles on it. He was a tall lad, hence the 3.5" riser, but I took off the decals because I didn't like the stock decals. My shocks were all re-charged (just a nitrogen charge) because I can get it done for free, and I get all snowmobile parts at cost (hence the rebuilt clutches) I rebuilt the motor because the one crank bearing went, But I thought why just get my crank refurbished and not do the whole motor when the motor is already out and apart? And the flywheel, lol, I dropped it onto a concrete floor, and a magnet fell off. Had to buy a new one. Oh, and it comes with a taller windshield as well, so it's the buyers choice. The only thing wrong with it is the exhaust springs are too long at the Y-pipe, so it leaks a little bit.

Thanks guys!

Don't get defensive man. I'm sure your sled is just fine, but I was just talking about what me or another buyer would think reading your ad. It sounds like your sled is in fine shape, but around here quite a few people would be scared off by the miles. For some reason lots of people think a sled with over 2,500 miles is shot.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rubi said:
jesse500 said:
Rubi said:

Thanks guys!

Don't get defensive man. I'm sure your sled is just fine, but I was just talking about what me or another buyer would think reading your ad. It sounds like your sled is in fine shape, but around here quite a few people would be scared off by the miles. For some reason lots of people think a sled with over 2,500 miles is shot.
Lol, I see that alot too, sure I'd rather a sled with 2500 miles than 5000, but snowmobiles, Edge chassis 500/600 liberty sled especially, 6500+ miles is not uncommon, and still have a lot of life left. ? I bought mine with 5400 miles, and I didnt hesitate with that many on the odometer.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Thats odd because I had mine listed for about a grand over what it was worth to see what would happen and I actually had good interest and had a guy ready to bring me the money the next day. Then i realized I cant afford to replace it right now so I had to turn it down.

EDIT. I guess im also not in Canada but just thought id throw that out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts