Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been throwing this idea around for a couple of years. I thought this would be a good site to get some feed back on this idea. I have been a member for just over a year, so I'm not new to the site.

I know everyone likes to ride, but no one really likes to travel longs distances when it comes to travelling to different areas for riding.

My idea would be to develop a semi trailer that has the capability to haul so many sleds. The purpose of this would be to allow people to have there sleds taken to the area in which they want to ride. At the same time I would charter a bus for everyone that would inturn take them to the area to ride. So each week or every second week I would have a specific area that I would be taking the tour to.

Now I live in Manitoba, so one week we could be in B.C. the next week in Ontario and so on. I would develop packages for people that would love to tour with their sled, but not have to worry about the travel end of things. We would pick up people along the way to the destinations for that week. Plus all hotels, food would all be arranged through the tour.

I need some feedback, ideas, critism, just testing the seas to see what people think.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
yet another manitobian. good to see we have a strong showing on sf. your idea is sound but there are also lots of things to consider when running a tour like this. price, weather, time of the season, the type of riding that will be done and the lenght of the tour, im sure there are lots more. with a lot of people there are always lots of headaches, some like to ride hard with little stops some like long day rides others only want short rides. the bus and trailer part i think would be the easy things as well as booking hotels, the tough part is going to be accomidating everyone so they are happy. but i know i would be intrested in something like this for the future.

cheers

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
That would be awsome! You'd get some great sledding experience as well meet great people. If your really serious about snowmobileing and would like to do this, I say go for it. Because in 10 years you may look back and say "I really wish I would've done that". Lots of people have big dreams like this but not many act on it. Sure theres lots of risks involved and lots of money but it will be one of the things you will never regret.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me. So i just want to get it straight. You travel in a bus with a group of people, to the desired destination. Then do you ride as a group? Or do you just drop of the sleds, and people go on their own rides. Some suggestions could be seperating the diferent level of riders, or like one week have it be an "aggressive" trip. The next week, "touring" and so on. How many people do you think could go at once? Keep the ideas coming... I think it could work out great.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Well the first thing you'll need is a truck and trailer..Heres a good place to start, as a former truck driver this is the best way I could help you with your project..Good luck buddy [:D]

www.truckpaper.com

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
This has been done, not to piss on your parade
Cycle Works out of Edmonton Alberta did this in the 90's and took people to the Rockies in B.C.
I never participated, but do remember seeing and hearing stories of the tours with what you are talking of.
One big problem is accessibility for the tractor trailer and bus, turning around and just plain getting to the parking lot can be a challenge with a small truck and trailer let alone a bus and semi
I've then heard of the bad stories of the partiers wrecking hotel rooms and being dicks, not saying it is your fault, but your business is guilty by association
I don't know why the quit doing the tours, but I heard it was hard for them to get hotel bookings because of the bad wrap they got with the "partiers"

I think it would be a great idea for those who are far away and can pool resources that way, I hope this helps with some things to know
And I would mabey get ahold of Cycle works and see if they can give you some help.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback.... keep it coming. Thanks for the idea of contacting Cycle Works. Just in the thinking phase right now. never thought about the partiers end of things. But something worth thinking about. Could be damaging to a companies name for future rides.

·
Registered
234 Posts
my parents went out to the black hills with some friends and one of thier friends owns a semi trucking busniess and they took out a semi with them to the black hills said it worked great

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.