Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been riding very long, and have just recently started riding more aggressively. Which I love! Anyway, my question is; what is your best advice to riding in deep powder and boondocking? I know you have to just get out there and do it, but little tips help too! I love to ride with the big boys, but I don't want to be a pain in their butt, hence the questions!
Thanks

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Watch alot of movies and study what they are doing!! Plus they are fun to wach anyways!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I have been doing that as well. I love to watch what they can pull off. Being as small as I am, I'll never throw around a sled like that! I'll just live vicariously through them. [;)]

·
Registered
252 Posts
Some simple advice for the powder would be stand up on your machine I know it helps me to shift my weight and react to what the machine wants to do.I watched some guys riding in the powder he had is butt on the seat and after helping him get unstuck a couple of times he finally started standing and got a hang of it.
Just keep doing it you'll get it figured out!

·
Registered
963 Posts
when you carve turn the ski's the opposite way that you are leaning. make sure that you don't just go in a straight line in deep powder, try to throw the machine around a little. don't do anything that you are not sure of. work the throttle.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
since you have less body wieght and strenth than the guys you have to use that to your advantage. a better quality loop with taller bars might give you a little more leverage to tip the sled and control it. chances are your arms are shorter so student driver can set you up with a lefty throttle so you can move your right hand to the strap and keep on the gas with your left. otherwise you just make right hand turns. lol playing with the front and rear suspension can help a lot. if you are 120 lbs the sled might be a little on the stiff side. especially the front springs. wich can make it harder to tip the sled for turning?

your body is a lever against the sled. you have to look at how you can use it with as little energy as possible. you are probably not overely tall so it will be very easy on your body to do stand up riding with a minimal rise on the handle bars. where a big tall guy is still hunched over with tall bars. making his back tired. learn to jump both feet from side to side. with your hole body on one side it will be very easy to tip the sled. were a guy can straddle the seat and muscle it.

get stuck a couple times in the morning and make your husband/boyfriend dig it out. that way by noon they will be a little more on the tired side and you will still be fresh and ready to pass them!!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I agree with madcow.
Another thing depending on the year of your RMK narrow up your ski stance.If your haven't done so already!
I did that with my 02 RMK and it's a lot easier to lay on it's side without much effort.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much! You've been VERY helpful!
I'm only 5'4 and 110 pounds, so it IS hard to throw around. I'm definitely going to get a left hand lever, like Madcow suggested. That would really help. My arms are just to short!
I've mastered standing up, and jumping from one side to the other (Okay, maybe not MASTERED, but I'm decent). It's just trying to carve and side hill, that I find difficult. Maybe I should just pack on another 20 pounds of weight!
Thanks again!

*Oh, and I have a piped 2005 800 RMK. I'm not sure what I could do to the sled to make things easier, though?

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
So how long have you been riding?? You sure have a nice sled for a beginner

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Just have to get out there and do it. You will learn fast. That is what I am having to do. Just do what you have to do to get the machine where you want it. Where are you riding at?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
have fun and be safe. your gonan learn by doing it. i don't have much expirerence in deep powder. but it would be easy to catch on. def make the sled more suitable for your body and master the body weight transfering and balancing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Achotrod
[br]So how long have you been riding?? You sure have a nice sled for a beginner
Thank you! I wouldn't say I'm a beginner, though (just at some things). I've been riding for three years. This is the first year I've boon docked through heavy powder and trees and side hilled. Most of the sledding I've done is trails, mild boon docking, and racing other sledders at the flats.
I'm not a horrible rider by any means, especially for a girl LOL. I just like to know all there is, so I can be even better.
I'm fairly new to side hilling, and boon docking through thick powder, and that's where I fall short. My size is my disadvantage, I think. I'm trying, though!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I am new at the sport also and the best investment I have made for riding control in the powder is a bar riser. Went out last year for my first ride w/o one and was out of control.This summer I put a riser on and that makes all the difference got into some good powder yesterday and cant believe the control.[:D] Also keep checking through this site the guys here have some of the best knowledge for all aspects of riding!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
its funny to hear that your size is a disadvantage. I am only 6'5" I think my size is a disadvantage. I slow the sleds down because of my weight. I am usually uncomfortable because I am tall and our flat land sleds have low handle bar hieght. plus with my knees up close to my chest it makes standing and sitting hard on the knees.

when I get into powder I slowly lean and then when the sled starts to tip. it basically flops over. i watch my small 150 lb friends stand on a running board and turn in powder. I stand up stradleing the seat and lean a little and topple over.

a couple inches of handlebar hieght make a huge difference.

I also went to a mountain fit light weight hood. I dont know on your sled how much weight loss. but for me it was an easy 20 lbs.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
well heck madcow i have the same problem ,i dont dare stand going down the trails for fear of getting my head taking off

·
Registered
20 Posts
Remove the sway bar from the front suspension if you haven't already done so. My wife is the same height and weight that you are and it made a tremendous difference. She can tip the sled a lot easier now which makes sidehilling and playing in the powder more fun.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
practice on an lake covered in powder first so you know how fast you can turn and whip the sled around, that way when you get in the woods you wont get in a tough spot were you have to do somthing that you are not comfortable with to get out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts