Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a second sled. Going to give this Indy 500 to my wife. I'm looking to spend around $3500 and have found many Indy Storms ranging from 1993 to 1997 in that price range. I did also find a 1998 XCR800 with 1500 miles for $4000 or b.o. Just a little too pricey for my budget. Anyhow whats the deal with the Storm? I know nothing about them. Can someone give me some HP details, speed, handling? How do they compare to sleds like the XCR800? Could they beat a XCR700? How much of a difference between these sleds and the 97 Ultra SPX? Any info at all would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
the 98 xcr is the aggressive body style and those things are tanks to drive. The 97 Ultra spx is a 680 case reed triple with triple pipes. We've got a 96 with 97 pipes and the thing is blazing fast and a blast to ride, the 97 would have the xtra 12 suspension too. If you go to Polarisfiles.com and then link into P-mans current site you can view all the models you are interested in and look at the specs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just don't want my buddy and his ZRT 800 to get away from me on the lake[:p] The fastest sled I've owned is an RXL 650

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I owned previously a 93 storm, with pipes, and clutch work. I cannot stress enough how heavy of a sled it is. Several times when I would get stuck in a ditch next to a road, I would try to free it for several minutes, then finally walk home a couple mile to get my truck to pull it out. They are freaking tanks. On an open lake they get up and move, but not as much as you might think. I am pretty confident my 02 ZR 800 would eat it on a lake. The rear suspension on mine was something from the devil himself. Several times I wanted to get up off the sled and give it a good swift kick from the beating it just gave me, but I couldn't because I was in a state of temporary paralysis. Sled handled very well on a groomed trail however. I would highly recommend getting a newer one than mine was so you get a different rear suspension.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hey.. have a little xcr background, no expert.
the 98 is storm and not a xcr. 99 was the big leap year for the tripples with ves and flatsides. They are really totally differant animals. A real sweety if you could find it would be a 99 ,700 or 800 if the price range allows. If your really eying the older 98, 800.. hmm I'd ask around for someone that had one.96.97.98 all needed clutching to make them sing.I thought I recalled issues with pistons in those. I had a 97 Xcr and it was a total dog until it was played with. My buddy has a 98 600 with a htg clutch kit. Don't let the agressive body sway you until you try one. I run a gen II xcr and parts I miss parts from the old one, lights.. handling. The both about the same to me, in the garage and in the trail.
To keep your price down ,an older utlra is a hot sled with pipes. (96 wedge) the ultra spx is the same motor with tripple on it and a chassis change. These ultra respond as do the vipers to tripples. Nice case reed motors, stay away from a piston port if you looking for big power.I've been toying with the idea to sell my wifes sled, 98 indy. buy a 98 xcr 600,700 again (had the pto oil line like new xcr's after 98), and swap on a 800 ves top end and flatsides. These sleds seem to be cheap, everyone wants a twin.
The zrt's are no slouch it set up. Your buddy looked at his water pump yet? (2000-3000 miles) Pulled two out last year.
Only compareison I have a 98 zrt800 and my 01 xcr. Both dead stock, and picked. He was lunch all around.

·
Registered
864 Posts
ohh issues with pistions.. I though was only the 800 sorry..600 and 700 were fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've looked at spec. sheets for both of these sleds, and found there to be no real considerable wieght differences. Even noticed that the 97'Ultra SPX is only 5 lbs lighter than the 97 Storm. Most if not all of the Storms I've found for sale have pipes and clutch kits with 4000 or less miles in excellent condition for $2500. Did'nt see any specs for a 97' XCR800...was there one?[?]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts