Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 2000 ZR 500 carb w/ 630 miles for 3000 obo. Are they a pretty decent sled? What do they top out at and are they quite a bit slower than the ZR600's ? I sold my 97 XCR600 at haydays and looking to jump ship to Artic cat for a change. Any advise would be helpful in my decision making.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Someone here most have one of these sleds or at least
knows someone with one. Just like to know how they
perform. I ride pretty aggressive in the trails and
need to know if i'll have to keep it taped to the bars
to keep up with the guys I ride with (02ZR600EFI &
02ZR800carb) I'm Concerned with fuel economy with
having to be wide open all time.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Sorry I dont know of one in my area, but I know you will keep up in the trails. The only time you will get behind on a 500 is long straight stretches. I keep up just fine when i ride my wifes XC 500. It wont pull like your XCR though...

·
Registered
142 Posts
The AC 500 in the ZRII chassis is a pretty snotty motor. I have been riding with another ZR 500 and a ZR 600 the past few years and my 500 has no trouble keeping up with the 600. It'll go head to head until you hit 90 or so and the 600 will start to pull away. I've got a D&D pipe/chip, can, clutch, and VForce II reeds.
The other 500 has got a can and is jetted down a notch.
It'll run with the 600's unless you're trying to get out of buying the beer acrossed the lake.
You should be able to jet down from stock and get 11-12 mpg. I get 12 all day long on my EFI.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I have a '97 XLTsp which has the same motor as your xcr did. One of my friends has a '00 ZR500. Both our sleds are pretty much stock.

He kills me on the hole shot. Roll-on we are pretty even (very slight advantage to me). The only advantage I have is top end, even then I'm only pulling away maybe a couple feet every hundred feet or so. Thru the twisties, I don't even try to keep up, the zr handles soooo much better.

Todays 500's are making more hp then our '97 motors did, plus they are a lot lighter and handle better. I think you'll be pleasently suprised.

As a whole I like the zr5 a lot. Almost like riding a dirt bike. Very light, very flick-able. The only thing I don't like about it, is that is vibrates a lot. But I believe this a common ZR side-effect up and down the line-up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I'll miss the power of the XCR but I'm hoping the handling will make up for it. Plus It'll give the guy's I ride with a chance across the lake. I could easily walk the ZR600 and beat the ZR800 even worse across the lake but when it came to the trails it was all over. The XCR is a heavy machine to throw around in tight trails. And yes, I did word it right about beating the ZR800. That thing couldn't get out of it's own way. It's my father in laws machine and he was pissed that both of our 600's would make him look silly on the lakes. Maybe this ZR500 will be a closer race for him. Does the price of $3000 sound pretty good with only 630 miles on it? I havn't seen to many in the paper so getting an average going price is hard to find.

How can I change my Username?

·
Registered
25 Posts
$3000 looks like a good deal. But look it over the sled carefully. There may be hidden problems. Check www.nadaguides.com. Can give you an estimate of the true blue book value.

I have a 98 ZR500 but don't have enough experience to compare with other sleds. Best of luck.[:)]

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The 500 is a great twisty trail sled. If you want to makes points with your father in law you should tell him to get a clutch kit for that 800 it sounds like he's got some real problems getting his 140 horses to the ground. Otherwise you can make him look well foolish when you beat him across the lake.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm thinking of scrapping the zr500 idea and looking at bigger and better. I just love the sound and feel of the triples and I ran across a 2001 ZRT600 new in the crate for $4295. They also have a 2002 ZRT600 in the crate for $4795. My new question is, what are the changes made to the 2001 to make it a 2002? Are they pretty much the samething?
Any updates I should be aware of for the 2001? Also, the father in law has brought the ZR800 in for some clutch work. I hope it helps him out because I'd hate to make an ass out of him again this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts