Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 600 XLT lim with the same problems others are reporting about not being able to start the sled easily and fouling plugs. It has 2000 miles but I only have put on it around 250 myself. Once it gets started it runs great, although very smokey. People here online suggest shutting the gas off, replacing the needles and seats and resetting the floats, synching the carbs etc.

How would one know how to rebuild carbs for a rookie like myself?
Would it be worth me purchasing a Service manual for my sled? Does it explain how to do these things step by step? Or do you really need to be shown by somebody the first time through it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I looked online for Clymer Repair manuals and the latest I could find for Polaris was through 95. I have a 98 XLT. Is there a newer one available anyone know or will there be? Perhaps there isn't much diff between 95 and 98 models?

·
Registered
78 Posts
ekudl,

I've looked too and can't find for polaris' newer than '95. I gave in though and had my dealer do it on my triple. Best money I've spent on repairs in a long time.

BTW if you find anything about the repair manuals let me know.

G

·
0 Posts
Rebuilding carbs can be a little mind boggling the first time or two. Maybe you can try to find a shop that will let you observe or a friend that can help ya out. It is important to get them synco'd. Usually by using the stick method or gauges. Good Luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey 1997 XLT SP, About how much did it cost to have your local shop fix your sled ? Was it repaired for exactly this, Needles and Seats? I'm not sue if that is what I need for I have only had this sled for less than a year. Symptoms are very hard to start via the rope and when it does start its very smokey. Plugs don't foul but are black and not your good looking tan color.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts