Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Well summer is behind us and the weather is changing quickly here in Western New York. Thoughts of snowmobiles are in the air. I have a chance to buy a BRAND NEW 2005 Yamaha RX-1 ER for $6200.00 with full factory warranty. Is it worth it? Thoughts on this sled please. I'm use to riding a 2002 Polaris XC 800 that was modified with pipes and clutch work. How will the Yammi compare. We do mostly woods riding, so I am somewhat concerned about the weight. Is this sled "Rider Forward" or more conventional sit back and go. Thanks for any and all info.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i do believe it is a rider forward but i have never ridden one. not sure really. i would be iffy about it i think. if it was a nytro i would be all over it but an rx1 is heavy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wakeboarderboy said:
Did you buy it? Sorry you never got any info. But I can't help you with the heated visor thing.
Yes I did. Waiting for snow. I was told by dealer to look for a green and white wire under the instrument panel to connect the visor leads to.

leadfoot33 said:
i do believe it is a rider forward but i have never ridden one. not sure really. i would be iffy about it i think. if it was a nytro i would be all over it but an rx1 is heavy.
It is not a true rider forward. It is more so than my old XC 800 but less than my sons Rush 600. Still it looks to be easier on my back which is all I wanted.As for the weight, it is a little nose heavey but was told by a guy who has a RX-1 it's all in the rear suspension settings.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Welcome to the 4-Stroke club.

If you wnat to find tons of great yammi 4-Sroke info read up at TY-4Stroke.com. I love this website, but I do notice that it can be light on Yamaha related content.

I post and read regularly over there as well as on this site. One thing that you'll want to read up on is in regard to the rear mono suspesnion (the pivot arms). I have the same suspension in my Apex. The pivot arms are prone to cracking in very predicatable locations. Yamaha didn't change the design until 2008 or so.

There are many companys that offer beef up kits that strengthen the arms. Read up here:

http://halfbakedcoatings.com/MONOBEEFUPKIT.aspx The link says Apex's but this same suspension is in your RX-1

More reading onthe suspension cracking here: http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=74254

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SnowmobileAddict said:
Welcome to the 4-Stroke club.

If you wnat to find tons of great yammi 4-Sroke info read up at TY-4Stroke.com. I love this website, but I do notice that it can be light on Yamaha related content.

I post and read regularly over there as well as on this site. One thing that you'll want to read up on is in regard to the rear mono suspesnion (the pivot arms). I have the same suspension in my Apex. The pivot arms are prone to cracking in very predicatable locations. Yamaha didn't change the design until 2008 or so.

There are many companys that offer beef up kits that strengthen the arms. Read up here:

http://halfbakedcoatings.com/MONOBEEFUPKIT.aspx The link says Apex's but this same suspension is in your RX-1

More reading onthe suspension cracking here: http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=74254
Thanks for the great info. I'm going to look into that cracking issue. I do like to pound on the sled a lot, including some jumps.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
The Rush is a sweet sled! you will love that over the Yami 1-ton.especailly over the stutter bumps.

·
Registered
567 Posts
ya the rx1 is a tank but a sweet ride i have an 04 rx1 mountain there fun

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rock said:
The Rush is a sweet sled! you will love that over the Yami 1-ton.especailly over the stutter bumps.
Rush is my sons sled. I have the Yammi. I still think the RX-1 will be a better ride then my old XC800.

Student Driver said:
^^^
Exactly.
For HP though,
The RX-1 all day long
Tom Hartman at Hartman inc is THE man for all things Yamaha to make that sled as fast as you'd like up to and including 400 plus HP turbo set ups
Next year when warranty is done![thumb]

quick said:
ya the rx1 is a tank but a sweet ride i have an 04 rx1 mountain there fun
50 lbs. more than my XC800. My back can't take that pounding anymore. I need smooth. Should be different in the woods though.

firecatF5 said:
the rx-1 has a 121inch track right?
Yes, standard model.

·
Registered
353 Posts
In addition to the rear suspension arm issue that I identified above, another thing to keep track of is the nylon bushings that all your front a-arms and spindles ride on.

Yamaha mfg's these out of a nylon material that leaves much to be desired.

The whole front end may be tight as a drum right now but after a season of as little as 1,000 miles there will be lots of slop in the front end components. Thats how fast the bushings wear and egg out.

A number of folks on the web sell complete Oilite (bronze) bushing kits that address the entire front end.

These bushings are practically a lifetime replacement and can tell you they are great. I bought a set this spring from Ulmer Racing. Read more here (about halfway down the page) - http://www.ulmerracing.com/Acc.htm

They make the front end like new all over again. Well worth the investment.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome to the Yamaha 1 Ton club. I have an 03RX1 with just over 1765 miles. I bought it last year with 654 miles on it. The best thing i can tell you is to join TY. I just put 5.7Pilot skis on mine because it wouldn't turn. They ride hard. Have fun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SnowmobileAddict said:
In addition to the rear suspension arm issue that I identified above, another thing to keep track of is the nylon bushings that all your front a-arms and spindles ride on.

Yamaha mfg's these out of a nylon material that leaves much to be desired.

The whole front end may be tight as a drum right now but after a season of as little as 1,000 miles there will be lots of slop in the front end components. Thats how fast the bushings wear and egg out.

A number of folks on the web sell complete Oilite (bronze) bushing kits that address the entire front end.

These bushings are practically a lifetime replacement and can tell you they are great. I bought a set this spring from Ulmer Racing. Read more here (about halfway down the page) - http://www.ulmerracing.com/Acc.htm

They make the front end like new all over again. Well worth the investment.
Sounds like a good spring project, along with some go faster goodies and mods. Changing the bushings are cheap insurance that sled will handle as it should and not wear out the shafts running thru them.

gunmaker said:
Welcome to the Yamaha 1 Ton club. I have an 03RX1 with just over 1765 miles. I bought it last year with 654 miles on it. The best thing i can tell you is to join TY. I just put 5.7Pilot skis on mine because it wouldn't turn. They ride hard. Have fun.
[/quote

I was under the impression they rode smooth as silk. My 02 Polaris XC800 rode hard. I hope this is easier on my back.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I havnt rode them but ive never really heard anything about a yamaha riding as smooth as silk.... Your xc rode hard because its a sportier model sled, and is made to be ridden hard. I wouldnt be surprised if your uninpressed with the way this sled rides. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts