Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[purple]Hello, new sledder here, bought a 96 XLT w 5400 miles, runs great! put in new Batt & done 175 miles in 3 days!
I beleive it is stock, black, stripes, two up seat w tiny tear. On returning home yesterday, noticed oil light blink on a sec. will check crank oil.
Fuel & mix great, been up to 60 MPH with my son on the back.
Backrest does not latch anymore... any tips?
Other than that, how do I make sure I do not have the "crank" problem?
Thanks for responding...
Howard[purple][/purple][/purple]

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
usually when the oil light blinks you still have one quart left?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the Oil light I think I'm OK, checked the res'vr this afternoon, was low, not out, got more & will fill before ride, guess 2 solid weekends and 2 tanks of fuel got it down but not out. thanks!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Turn up your oiler, with that motor i would sacrifice a little more oil for safety.....2 tanks of gas to a tank of oil doesnt sound like a lot!!! i use about a quart a tank....also remember this is a 2 stroke motor so you have to get 2 stroke oil, go to a sled shop and get amsoil, klotz, polaris blue oil to run in that, pick a brand and stick with it! good luck and have fun

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
XLT's are not 700's.. i always use AMSOIL, smells real nice when its running and iv never had a sled burn up while using it.

my oil light usually comes on about half way threw my second tank, and my sleds still running a tad lean.. so id ajust the oil pump for sure, just to make sure the crank bearings are well lubricated (those triples notorious for waring out bearings)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to Mdmedic & crdude for the tips!
I have been using a polaris specified oil (but not syn)
she does smell a bit when idling, a bit smokey, but is fine underway.
lake effect snow again tonight & tomorrow!
Hope to see some more NYS sledders here & on the trails!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts