Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I don't want to start any brand war here, but I just wanted to know if anyone has had any luck with Gates belts?? My buddy has one for his 96 Formula 3 but has yet to get out riding since he bought it 2 years ago. I need a new belt for my 98 MXZ and I am not really a fan of Dayco's but other than a factory belt, I'm not left with too many options in my home town. I found his Gates to be really really hard compared to any other one i've seen so is this good or bad??

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
This is just guessing, and someone may correct me, but if the belt is stiff, I've heard that the belts don't wear quickly by width, but they slip more in the clutches, and break easier.

Softer belts grab the clutches easier but wear down faster.

I have always run OEM belts on my sleds, and I will continue to do so.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
You should always stick to your manufacturer's belt. It is built with the to the specs of your machine. With the aftermarket belts you'll most likely have to screw around to get the belt deflection correct.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
^ right on, OEM belts are best, but cost it too.

I picked up a Goodyear belt from Canadian Slayer as a cheap backup, and just for the heck of it, threw it on the last ride of '02, what a difference, really great pull.

You can order stuff online from Royal Distributing if your not near a dealer, or aftermarket parts store.

http://www.royaldistributing.com/index_bb.html

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I go OEM too. I haven't had any belt problems other than my own stupidity and burning a flat in a belt one day in deep powder. I actually get a new belt every year and put the previous year's belt in the spare holder. When I go on a really long trip I might even bring another spare for paranoia.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I usualy run the manufactures belts. I had a 99 machZ with reverse the only belt I could get to work well was the Gates Extreme. We adjusted the clutches and played with everything but I could only run Gates Extreme. That was the only sled I have had that had belt problems.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
OEM belts have always worked good for me. The Dayco Ultimax 3 has some good design features but I don't think your gonna save any money with them either, so I would stick with the OEM belts.

G

·
I have made the switch to Gates belts on both my Summit and RMK. Perfect performance and long wear. I got almost 1000 miles on my Summit belt before it blew. Pretty good considering the punishment I gave it. The Gates lasted about about 1/3 longer than the OEM and cost about 25% less.

D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts