Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I need to replace my EZ Steer 4" Carbides on my Polaris 1998 XLT 2Up sled and Steel Skis. I am an intermediate sleder that does mostly trails and lakes in Maine, my questions are as follows:

1) Should I simply just replace the EZ Steer Carbides I have with similar carbides or should I change them out for a different set of carbides entirely perhaps with 6" Carbides?

2) And if the 6" Carbides are suggested, what brands would one recommend or suggest, X-Calibar, Woody, or Roetin for my sled?

3) What is the difference between 60 degree and 90 degree carbides other than the obvious answers a) 30 degrees and b) the 60 degree is better and more expensive?

Any help with these questions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
a 60 degree carbide will prvide the most aggressive steering because the contact point is ground to a sharper edge....cause of the angle.....but it will wear more quckly....if yu dont have a studded track 4 inches of 75 or 90 degree should be fine...if yu have studs then go with 6 inches....75 degree carbides seem to last the longest....hence the high price...all of those brands are good its just a matter of personal preference....it depends on yure rideing style and amt of studding....if yu get too much carbide yure sled will dart around alot and yure rear will washout in the turns....if yu dont hav enuff
then yure front will push and steering control will be diminished....i use the easy steer 60 degree on my 96 xlt and my track is not studded...i like to stick to the groomed trails and my sled handles very well.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You can buy 6" carbides for the EZ-Steer. That's what I have and they ride and handle good with 96 studs. Got mine from Dennis Kirk. Aggressor AGS6 Carbide Wear Rods for E-Z Steer. They have a 75 degree carbide which they say last longer?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot Magnaman and Polaris XLTSP for your info and help. My track is not studded and I don't plan on studding it for quit some time, if ever. So it appears that the Polaris EZ Steer system is pretty good. I wasn't sure if that was well liked in the snowmobiling community.

It appears that you two have similar sleds, I bought this 1998 XLT 2Up Limited triple just this year and already broke a ski. So this is what prompted me to replace the composite ekholm ski with a cheaper (and more readily available) steel ski and new carbides. It also is a pain to start up when cold since I don't have Elec. Start or Reverse, both of which may come back to haunt me (I hope not)

Any gotchas or things to be aware of with these type of sleds that you could share with me, Thanks in advance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts