Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad is finally lookin into new computers. I am tryinn to help him in what to get for the stuff i want to do with it. I want at least a 1.5GHz processor and what is this gig of ram you guys talk bout? do you buy like the "gig of ram" or buy smaller amounts to equal the gig? would a normal person make use of all that ram or would it be a waste of money? i want at least a 20GB harddrive. And a hellofa good graphics card w/ 3D acceleration.

I really dont know much bout the different brands and stuff, so you can help me on that, and what would u recomend? i just use it for games, surfing the net and downloading music etc....

He has around $700 he wants to spend, if u can find prices, or have websites you know of that have prices, let me know.

Thanks

There's always next year....

·
Registered
529 Posts
Look on Dell's website, I looked yesterday for a freind and seen that they have some good deals. If you can live with the monitor and the case you have now. I would upgrade the one he already has. You can find good deals at tiger direct or this is a site some one at work told me about www.overstock.com. I have seen some good deals here. Hope that helps.

'00' 500 XC SP

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he wants to keep this one, and its so old anyway, i dont think it can be updated w/o pretty much gettin a whole new setup anyway

oh ya, he wants to stay w/ microsoft....just to let all u mac guys knows(Intended) i would like to try mac tho

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
$700 isn't going to get much. My Hp cost that and it's 900mhz , 60 Gb harddrive, and 128 ram. For twice that you can get one really kick ass computer. Don't you want more like a 40 Gb harddrive? Hope you find something you like.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats what i told him...700 bucks wont get shit, if you build it all urself, u might get a pretty fast one, i want to go w/ him when he order the stuff or gets it, but he says my checkbook is comin w/ if i go w/ em....

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
700 will get you a fine machine for what you are talking about arctic-cat-guy, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Sure it won't be the fastest wiz bang setup out there, but it will be alright for 90% of things you will be doing with it. For that price point I would not build my own but instead get one from either Dell or gateway. Although for a thousand bucks from gateway you can get a computer and a flat screen for 999. You still haven't answer weather you will be using the old monitor or not, as that will have a huge impact on what you can afford.

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
were gonna be keepin this machine, we have a different monitor we will use on that one unless we buy one from dell or sumptin, i just built a computer on dell.com for $900, but it had the goodies i wanted including the 80GB harddrive, i was amazed at the price of the monitors tho!!!a 19" flat screen ran around $1300, i think there was something special bout it tho, i dont remember, i know the guy my dad buys his computers from rips him off, thats why im doin research for him this time

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by arctic-cat-guy:

i was amazed at the price of the monitors tho!!!a 19" flat screen ran around $1300, i think there was something special bout it tho

There's always next year....[/quote]

Uh, its because its a 19'' and its FLAT...

and I don't think that I would go as high as an 80 gig HD. My dad just got his upgraded from a PII 266 to a PIII 800, 20 gig HD, 128 mb ram, we got the 3D prophet 4500 video card, ASUS 50x cdrom, (no burner, i have no idea why) and that we put together our self... now that run us up to about $ 1000 can. ($.75) american.

K, now I'm not completly sure, but if you get an 80 gig HD and it isn't as fast to get the info as everything else, won't it just slow down the computer???

GO HARD, OR GO HOME

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I know that size doesn't mean speed, I just wanted to point out to also look at the speed of the HD not just the size.

GO HARD, OR GO HOME

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yup, i knew that, the one I built on Dell's website had a 7200RPM harddrive, that must be fairly fast, i know some of u guys have a 15,000RPM harddrive but u got servers and stuff to power up,

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I'd say you can build or buy a computer for $700. I have a 600 mHz here and it has good speeds. I mean, I would like faster but then again, I am not the average computer user. I am a computer freak. I need fast. For a person like you, you can find a great computer for that price. Get what you like.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
600Mhz wouldbe a huge improvement for me, but then again, i want what is the best now, so it wont be really really slow in year compared to the others.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, let me rephrase, i dont want the BIGGEST and the BEST computer of today, dont feel like spendinga million, but a real decent one for a real decent price, i dunno what im gonna get yet, what i tell my dad doesnt really matter.....

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by arctic-cat-guy:

what i tell my dad doesnt really matter.....

There's always next year....[/quote]

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL....

GO HARD, OR GO HOME

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.