Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an article on the new diesel trucks

the powerstroke(lol) was rated with a six speed manual at 275hp and 505lb/ft of torque and they punched it out to 7.8liters

the duramax(lol) is the same as last year

the cummins is at 5.9 liters but at 305hp and 555lb/ft of torque then they get the new body style and "suposedly" a crew cab (sweeet)

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
vehicles forum. and lol comments about the Duramax and Powerstroke are a bit dumb. They are both very strong engines. Generally the Powerstroke will take a cummins off the line ut not when yuou get going. As well Ford is coming out with a 6.2L or 6.4L Diesel soon that is more powerful than the present powerstrokes. The Cummins is my choice as well but the others are good engines too. I would love to get my dad's 1994 Chevy 2500 truck then get a cummins diesel and drop it in there. That would just be great. Buddy of mine has a 91 dually Dodge Ram 3500 with Cummins and banks intercooler. It is a nice truck except he removed the grill(I guess to fit the intercooler) and that looks bad.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i seen that new forum right after i got done posting this one.

i lol on them two engines because they are of poor design for the long haul. them engines are only good for around 3-4000 hours of use. thats in a pickup were they arent pulled hard all the time. I am used to engines that go 9000+hrs in tractors were maintenece is not so good and conditions are dusty and the engines are run at rated hp all day. thats all. I am not bashing ford or chevy, they dont make the engines they just use them. v8 diesels are never any good in the long run yes even cat , cummins, deere and detroit went almost 100 % away from v style engines because of the weak spots.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
yup...dont see many V type engines in tractors now....inline 6 in my combine puts out more power and torque than any truck u can think of...

There's always next year....

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't know much about the duramax (fairly new yet), but I am sure it is fine engine. I do know that the powerstroke is one hell of a heavy duty pick up truck motor along with the cummings. One thing we have to remember that the cummings is a big truck engine put into a pick up while the duramax and the powerstroke where made for heavy duty pick up use. Hey, Sled_dog do you remember were you heard about the smaller powerstroke?? I heard about it somwhere too, but can't remember where. I am wondering if Ford plans on putting it in a half ton model?

I think its Snowing!!
1999 Polaris XCR 440

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Now now kids, get along!
Seriously I would love one of the new big Chevy duallys! diesel's are not my forte of knowledge however.

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya it doesnt matter what you drive, because most people dont put 200,000 miles on a vehichle.
these new trucks have more power than there big brothers, the b series trucks. the little cummins ford uses in the f700 dump truck.
I had a load on the fitfth wheel and i weighed 32,000 lbs. i thaught that was a lot, then i met a guy that hauls for a living. when he hauled hay for me he had 16 1300lb round bales on and the truck and trailer wiegh 19000. he drove 70mph on the road loaded like that. man thats unreal. but he moved 208 bales in 13hrs. on a 14mile round trip.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
BigFish I heard about it on SpeedVision from friends and I think it is in my newest issue of Four Wheeler magazine(an off road truck mag). I will look later. I know it will be in the new Ford Tonka 1 Ton right away but I am not sure about the 3/4 ton. My buddy has like a 2001 or 2000 Ford 250 Super Duty Turbo Diesel. That thing is pretty nice. His turbo already siezed up though so he replaced it with an Aftermarket one that produces a bit more horsepower.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by madcow:
I had a load on the fitfth wheel and i weighed 32,000 lbs. i thaught that was a lot, then i met a guy that hauls for a living. when he hauled hay for me he had 16 1300lb round bales on and the truck and trailer wiegh 19000
[/quote]

do u mean 161,300lbs or 16,300? cuz im thinkin u might be breakin some load restrictionsn unless u have a hellofalot of axles underneath ya....cant haul much over 50,000 gross w/ a tandem axle truck here....

Give next year chance before we all give up...​

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i mean i was at thirty two thousand pounds with the one ton and a goose neck trailer stacked with big square bales. then in the fall when I got busy I hired a guy from mora to haul round bales and he was close to forty thousand pounds with a one ton. farmers can get away with some of that stuff as long as you are hauling for yourself. if you are hauling for some money then it is a different thing but that other guy was a farmer also. there are lots of ways around that.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
is ford gonna make the tonka truck sled dog? i love the looks of that. just wanna push it around in the dirt a bit. oh, i hate diesels, they smell terrible :)

'99 XC SP 500
Fox shocks stickers- 15 hp
handlebar hooks/riser- 10 hp
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp
running board/edge grips- 20 hp

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Let me check on that as well. The engine is a 6L producing 350HP and 600 ft-lbs. I doubt we will see it in its present form. Something very close I bet though. It has special tanks that store up energy from either exhaust or some pressurization system and when you go to take off you not only have 600 ft-lbs of torque but you have these two tanks creating a push that turns the axel to power the launch. For getting going with a load. Ok somehow it uses energy created in braking that is normally just wasted and stores it hydrauliclly for the launch system.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I also found out that Ford will be offering a 4.5L Deisel for the F150 in 2003. It will be nice to have another engine as a option for us half ton truck buyers.

I think its Snowing!!
1999 Polaris XCR 440

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
that is interesting. Never heard that. Kind of dumb since the largest gas engine ford offers in the F150 is a 5.4L. They should offer bigger gas engines for 1/2 ton trucks. Largest engine you can get in the Chevy 1500 is the 5.3L.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Now if you could get the 8.1 in the smaller trucks that would be sweet. Just think a 502SS, now that would have the ford lightning drivers pissing them self's.

'00' 500 XC SP

·
Registered
48 Posts
From the artical that I read on the 4.5L Diesel that Ford will offer in the F150.

HP 235 TQ 400. The HP would be less then the 5.4 gas currently has, but it will have more torque. The artical also stated that Ford is hoping that the increased MPG will be the main selling point of the engine. I guess right now it is just wait and see.

I think its Snowing!!
1999 Polaris XCR 440

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ya i dont understand why they dont all have small diesel engines in the half ton trucks. they would be an easy 25-30 mpg pickup. that would be neat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts