Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're in negotiations right now (at work) and if we don't go on strike next week I'm going to upgrade my daughter's sled (she's 14yo) and keep the '84 340 Enticer she rides now for my son (12 yo). Gotta spend the strike fund I've set aside somewhere! She's been a really responsible rider and has been helping me wrench on my sled in the garage.

The important things I want are it has to be Skidoo (built in Canada; I'm an autoworker, what can I say!); it MUST have the 10 inch suspension and electric start.

I'm deciding between 2 sleds. There's '99 500 Formula Dlx which would be a twin to my '99 583 Formula Dlx.

Or for $1,200 less I can pick up a '97 Formula S 340 fan with electric start.

I really like the idea of riding identical sleds, (they're so pretty! lol) but that is obviously just an emotional decision. My brain tells me to get the fan because my son will eventually be riding it also and he is a speed demon with more guts than brains, and who JUST WON'T LISTEN! In fact for a long list of reasons I'm making him wait an extra year before he gets his license. As well, the fan will meet my requirements while not breaking the bank.

What do others think? I'd appreciate input from both parents and offspring!

Jacqui.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Well not knowing your kids or their attitudes, I'd have to say that your daughter probably doesn't care if a sled can go over 90 mph or not. She'd probably be happy with a nice looking sled that rides and handles well.

You also state that your concerned about your son and his "lead thumb". If this is all entirely true, then I'd be more swayed towards the 340 fan. Its a great reliable sled thats going to get them out on the trails so that they can enjoy what snowmobiling is all about.

On the other hand, if you think you can instill enough responsability into your son, and money isn't an issue, I'd definately go with the 500 Formula Dxl. Since its heavier, its probably going to ride better. It also obviously has more power which will give more of a thrill, and can help out in deep snow.

Its a tough call not knowing your kids. These are just my opinions, and are how I would apply the logic if I were in your shoes.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I would get the matching '99, it will serve your families needs longer, and you will just have to instill some self-control in your sons riding, besides he can hurt himself on a 340 just as easy as a 500.
Your sleds, your rules, in years to come you can religate him to the little Yammy until he proves himself responsible enough to ride the 500.
Dad of 9, 5 and 2 year olds.
Kevin

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well being a Dad myself with a 7 and 4 year olds, if my kids were 14, I would most likely go with the 500, if it were not to heavy for my daughter to control. Most 500's weigh in at mid to high 400 lb. range were as the 340 comes in at the low 400 lb. range. If money is not a factor, definitely the 500, seeing it is a newer and larger c.c. sled that the kids will have for years to come. If speed is a concern, they make a gizmo out there that bolts onto the handlebars and has an adjustable bolt that controls the travel of the thumb throttle. Only you know how your kids ride and listen to good old Mom and Dad. So go with your feelings. I have just the opposite problem with my kids. Daughter loves to fly and junior is more reserved, at least right now!

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys all make some excellent points. Something I probably should have mentioned is that we live 2 1/2 hours from where we ride, and don't get a lot of riding in. This will be my fifth season and I think I have less than 4,000km on my sled. We probably average about 4 weekends a season.

Tfin70 makes a really good point: "I'd have to say that your daughter probably doesn't care if a sled can go over 90 mph or not. She'd probably be happy with a nice looking sled that rides and handles well."

I think that is exactly how she feels. The Yami has almost no suspension and is a real challenge to ride and keep up with the pack when you're bouncing all over the trails. I fell off of it last year! lol

On the other hand, she handled my 583 really well and the 500 would be a good investment. But looking at the amount of miles/hours we put on, it's hard to justify all the money we already put into the sport.

I'll be able to see both sleds next weekend and make my decision then, but I'm leaning towards the 380 fan (I posted it wrong earlier when I called it a 340). It sounds like a good reliable sled, and it's been professionally maintained each year. I'll also have to buy a cover and pics for either one that I buy. The fan is probably better on gas as well, and that's a consideration since I have to pick up the tab for everything for both (or all three) sleds; sleds, insurance, trail permits, gas and oil, parts and maintenance, mid-day meals for the three of us, etc. Let's hope Buzz gets us a good raise! lol (see original post)

Jacqui.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi Jacqui
I hear Buzz got you a good raise.
So which sled did you end up buying?

Jeff

RIDE SAFE - RIDE SOBER

·
Registered
5 Posts
With four kids, oldest 14 and the wife riding I would err on the side of power. I think the 340 is too small. My 120lb wife rides a 99 600EFI powder special and loves it. Great suspension, power, handling and best of all, it STARTS EASY! One pull, easy every time. She can't start any other sled.

My 14year old son just graduated from a phazer to a 99mxz 600. The Powderspecial can be bought cheaper, but the mxz has that ski-doo magic. When you need the power, you need it. Both these two can now follow dad up and around, where the smaller sleds, just can't.

Thinks bigger, and teach them to control the throttle.

Hope the strike thing worked out. No one wins in a strike, bad feelings stick around for a long time afterwards, even if you get a good contract.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it's a done deal. I went with the 380 fan.

I went to see it on Thursday; very clean, runs great, track/sliders look like new, belly pan protector there, all it needs is pics. My daughter is thrilled!

As far at the bigger sled goes, I'm trying to finance this sport for three people/three sleds, and I don't live anywhere near the trails. My son will likely need upgrading in a few years, and if I go with the bigger/more expensive sled for my daughter I would need to do the same for him. I'd like to get a new one myself one of these years! lol A new Legend would look awefully pretty sitting in my garage...

Ane yes, Trailblazer, Buzz brought us back an excellent contract (with no strike!). Yay!

Jacqui.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi Jacqui

Congratulations.

On both the new addition to your stable and the new contract.
I'm glad you're happy. By the sound of things, your daughter should be happy as well.

That Buz guy sounds like quite the guy.
Can he negotiate a deal like that for me?

Hopefully it snows long and hard this winter and everyone can get out and enjoy it.

Happy Trails to You and Yours.
Jeff

RIDE SAFE - RIDE SOBER

1 - 10 of 10 Posts