Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

First time owner of a snowmobile, I just recently bought a Yamaha 2003 SXR 600 Triple. My neighbor is the one that pretty much guided me on which sled to get as I have had very little experience. The largest sled I think I have ever rode was a 450cc. So this 600 is going to be a jump for me I assume.

But anyway, the sled is in fairly good condition, I think for the money I paid for it ($1200) I got a good deal. But I do have a couple of questions hopefully you guys can help me out on.

1: The engine has a decent amount of salt on it. I'm certain the previous owner was trailering it without a cover or something. What is the best way to clean this stuff off?

2: The airbox looks like it has been slightly broken off the bracket. It's holding on the the carbs only at the moment and I don't really want that thing bouncing around. The very top piece of plastic that holds it to the frame is broken. Anyone know where I can get the top portion of an air box for cheap? (Or I may just mend it myself, but I like clean fresh looking stuff!)

3: Electric start! My neighbor told me that the sled was capable of getting an electric start, the key does have a start position so I am inclined to believe him. If he is correct, how much does this typically cost to do? (if I did it myself) and where can I buy such a kit?

Thanks for your help guys, if anyone is in Brainerd MN please give me a buzz, I am new up here and would love some people to sled with when the snow hits!

COME ON SNOW!!!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
the engine has SALT on it? never heard of that. your airbox should just be fine and you wont notice if it bounces around, and im almost positive you can put electric start on that sled. for parts go to denniskirk.com they are located in minnesota so if you order something and pay for standard shipping it will be at your door next day.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Use a engine degrease, that usually works for me but DO NOT let any get on the clutches.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
First of all, welcome to the site and nice buy. I like to wipe the motor down with some WD-40 to keep that crap off of there. It could have gotten on it by just crossing the road, but every year I spray just a little WD-40 on it and wipe it down with a rag and I never see any build up on the motor. You should be able to get that piece to the airbox from anyone that sells Yamaha parts. Electric start you will most likely have to order, but yes you can put it on that sled. Once again nice buy and good luck with your sled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts