Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Yes I am new to snowmobiles and to make things worse I am from Florida and transplanted up north! I just got my first snowmobile, 90 arctic cat prowler. Here is my problem, I was changing the belt and noticed that there was a crack in between the two halves of the secondary clutch and I couldnt wait for my manual to show up before I took it apart. when I pulled it apart I did not pay attention to which hole the spring was in and there is no marks to show where it had been. Where should it be and what effect does moving the spring to different holes???. the other thing is the crack, it is on the flat surface below the two pulley halves, why did it crack, and what purpose does this part of the clutch have ? it doesnt seem to be used for anything. Will this crack be a problem? Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I'm not sure its purpose of why it would have cracked, But clutchs are bombs waiting to go off. If anything looks broken or cracked. Replace it.

[red]GO HARD, OR GO HOME - THEY MAKE NEW ONES EVERY DAY[/size=2][/red]

·
Registered
266 Posts
The default is the middle hole. Each hole represents 200 RPM .At fullspeed riding you should maintain the manufacturers peak HP RPM around 8500 on that Cat I think. If its under or over ajust to meet the spec. Sorry I can't remember which way is up and which is down. But its in the owners manual. I'll look and see if I still have one. And as you should know being a jet mech. that crack at 8500 R's is agood way to ventilate your belly pan or worse...OUCH

You can Fly with EFI
Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Jetmech.

Welcome to the sport and the forum. You've come to the right place for help. I've recently been doing my own maintenance on my sled and these guys are a wealth of information; and they never seem to get tired of answering the questions!

If it makes you feel any better I did the same thing less than a month ago, I took apart my clutch without noticing which holes the spring went in. These guys fixed me up.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is that there is a specific preload you want with the clutch which is why you set the spring to different settings. You use a spring fishing-type scale to check this. On my Skidoo it is 16 pounds, don't know what it would be for yours. Someone with a manual will likely help you out.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
167 Posts
the middle hole is the "stock" location, but i must warn you about running a sled with a cracked part on the drive unit, imagine the part flinging off at 8,000 rpm! if your lucky you'll bust up your sled, if your un lucky, it hits you and things can even get worse, id say dont even run it until you change the cracked part, i cant stress it enough.

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!

·
Registered
948 Posts
I learned the hard way from a flat spotted belt...

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
948 Posts
Would you believe not a scratch. Same with the bellypan. Didn't even scrape it. [ shrug ]

You will notice the belt guard not in the pic. Tore it completely off and shredded it though. It's just on the other side of the machine at the moment.
Needs a new one.

I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New parts already on the way!! By the way after further inspection the area that is cracked is no longer round and looks as if it has been hit in the past. cant for the life of me figure what might have hit it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts