Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm Danny, from Grand Forks ND, just got my first old time sled. A 1972 Polaris Charger 398 (or 396?) was sitting in a barn for 20 years, engine was not stuck, pulled the gas tank and lines, cleaned the carbs and put new spark plugs in and it started on the 3rd pull, but runs high idle. My question(s) Does anyone here know about these sleds and engines? Does anyone know where I can get a shop/owners manual or knows how to adjust the carbs, (idle) and adujst the drive belt,.. Anything will help!

thanks in advance!

-Danny

·
Registered
123 Posts
there should be a screw on the carb to adjust your idle. start it up and screw the screw it will start to either rev up or die down depending which way you screw it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
what are your air/fuel screws at? i like to set mine at 2 turns out and adjust them from there once its running. high idle is usually from throttle cable not adjusted right on top of carbs or plugged pilot jet, or could be sucking air thru ripped carb boot or bad crank seals or head/base gaskets. get it running and spray choke cleaner around all gaskets on motor and carb boots and see if engine changes. than update us.
jake

·
Registered
4 Posts
72Charger396 said:
Hello All,

I'm Danny, from Grand Forks ND, just got my first old time sled. A 1972 Polaris Charger 398 (or 396?) was sitting in a barn for 20 years, engine was not stuck, pulled the gas tank and lines, cleaned the carbs and put new spark plugs in and it started on the 3rd pull, but runs high idle. My question(s) Does anyone here know about these sleds and engines? Does anyone know where I can get a shop/owners manual or knows how to adjust the carbs, (idle) and adujst the drive belt,.. Anything will help!

thanks in advance!

-Danny
Here ya go! http://www.vintagesnow.com/Polaris.html

Click on the links at the top, download the pdf files. Should find everything you need.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts