Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well ive been slowly building up my computer that i use for testing, gaming and acts as a server. here are a few of the other pieces that i have gotten for it along with a ati radeon x850xt which just died again on me [}:)] the only thing that i didn't upgrade was the hard drive, i was still using a old 30 gig WD that i had laying around. about 4 days ago i got sick of running out of room so i bought two Seagate 400 gig barracudas, there the older non perpendicular drives but thats fine. their sata 2 drives running raid 0. i have everything backed up elsewhere so im not worried about that. wow what a differnce, no worry about space and boy are they fast.

[attachment=49374]

from an average of 25 mbps to 107 [:D]

Attachments

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Not too bad. Here is a single 320gb perpendicular drive on my system. (forced to sata1 because I don't have a sata2 controller) Oh yeah, in the pic is also my 160gb drive.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Oh yeah, and check this out. I tested this at work. Also note that this is a TRUE hardware raid card. Most other raid 5 implementations, and a raid5 implementation that is in degraded mode, will not be any faster than a single drive.

3ware 9550SX-4LP raid5 controller
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816116031

3x seagate 250GB drives in raid5

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Originally posted by ripperd
[br]Not too bad. Here is a single 320gb perpendicular drive on my system. (forced to sata1 because I don't have a sata2 controller) Oh yeah, in the pic is also my 160gb drive.

I have six of those in the new server and another spare sitting at home. I really like them and they are a great value right now.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Originally posted by erick
I have six of those in the new server and another spare sitting at home. I really like them and they are a great value right now.
Yup, my experience with them has been excellent. I tested a multitude of 160-320gb drives at work one day and this one was pretty much the clear winner in the price range for performance. So I bought one heh.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats is true that the 320's are very nice, my friend is running a few of them and he loves them. one big benefit i have noticed is running photo shop, much faster. i think the board i have is using a silicon image controller, i think haven't checked for sure. i still might pick up a few 320's if they go any lower on newegg, then i can throw these in the other box and use them just for storage and use the 320's for fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.