Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

Well came across this site and thought I would join up.

I'm new to sleding...having only done it once last year..but my wife and I just purchased 2 used sleds:

1) 98 Ski-doo SLE 500 cc
2) 97 Ski-doo LE 440cc

I figured they where big enough for us to start with.

My question is about chaning the oil.....is this something I can do myself?

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Actually, you don't change oil on most snowmobiles. If they are 2-stroke, the oil burns up in the engine. You have to remember to add oil though, if it runs out, your engine burns down. So, 4-stroke means change oil, 2-stroke = oil burns up, remember to add oil.

It is always wise to check the oil every time you fill up the sled with a tank of gas. Make sure you always have enough for the trip you are taking.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info....

Both sleds are oil injected so I guess I'm ok....

I just read about dip sticks and oil filings etc....

Just want to be safe.

Thx

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
If yer talk'in dipsticks and iron filings then that's your chaincase oil, and yes change it if you are not sure when it was last.
Look under your sled beneth where the chaincase is, there might be a drain plug,(this info I found here, TUSF is great).
Do a search here for chaincase oil, there are a few good discussions on whether to use synthetic or regular, and what types ppl use.

Good luck, welcome to the forum, and the sport.

It's a lifelong journey...why hibernate?

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Welcome,get a couple a hundred miles under your belt,And you to will be surfing all the sled sites 2-3 hours a day.,It,s very addicting.Have fun.where abouts in canada

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
welcome rob1, you will find here at fanatics plenty of people willing to give advice and help you out when it comes to pur beloved sport, so dont be embarrased to ask a question, no matter how silly it may sound. we all start somewhere. if you like most, you will enjoy tinkering with your sled, and like mentioned before, get some rides under your belt, pick up a few sleddin magazines, and before long, you will learn enough to keep yourselfon the seat.

anyways, welcome to our big happy family, happy posting, and have fun ridin!

XLTMAN- deputized fanatic

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Hey, welcome to the sport and the forum!

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Rob.

I'm a Skidoo rider and I changed the chaincase oil myself for the first time last season.

On my Skidoo (583 Form. Dlx) there is no drain plug, you have to take the side cover off to drain the chaincase oil. From what I was told this is so that you give everything a good looking over while you're changing the oil. Just be careful you don't lose any of those little needle bearings!

Good luck.

Jacqui

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ok Rob; don't be afraid of those needle bearings I posted about; apparrently those are for my reverse shaft, which you likely don't have. I just found this out when my partner took the cover off of his MXZ chaincase and didn't have any either.

So go ahead and have at it! lol

Jacqui.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jacqui583,

Thanks! I think I'll give it a try but both my machines have reverse as well...I wonder if I'll encounter those needles?

Rob.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts