Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
let me hear your thoughts on that thought of having a traveling repair center you that you dont have to bring your toys to a dealer and wait for them to fix it

· Registered
8,834 Posts
I thought about doing this in our area, trail side assistance kind of thing. if i was younger and single i would have probably tried it. but at this point in my life i dont want to get calls at all hours of the day and night from idiots that drunk crashed.

i guess the other thing that worried me was going out there and helping them out or bringing the sled back to the shop for a quick fix, only to find out they have no money.

i finally came to the mind set that sleds are easy to get to a vehicle and get to a shop, i think if you want that kind of service just put your sign up on the trails and maps for 24 hour service. keep lots of hyfax, carbides, belts and plugs on hand, along with bearings and some basic clutch service parts. that way at midnight when they call you, you have time to get out of bed and dressed while they get the sled to you.

· Registered
1,131 Posts
I thought about it also as I live right behind a gas station that gets a ton of sled business.

Too much overhead to even start. You'd have to have quite the supply of common wear parts to accomodate all the type of sleds. Just imagine how many set of carbides you'd need to fit 4 manufacturers from the 80's-2010. Bolt patterns, lenghts, etc. It would be overwhelming.

Now, if may work in a siutation where the sled isn't running right. Carb cleaning, adjusting, track tension, things like that could easily be fixed.

My thoughts...
D

· Registered
1,552 Posts
when i start my shop i want to try this. i know a few idiots that go sledding all the time without an extra belt and blow the only one they have, then they expect us to tow them back. i tell them they are on there own unless they give me $20 to tow them it. lol

· Registered
8,834 Posts
cost you more than 20 bucks to go get them. at 10$ hour on your labor if they broke down 20 miles from your house, you would have 4 gallons of gas bringing them the belt and 2 hours of your time. you have 32 dollars into it.

· Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i know in my area of riding, no one rides during the week ..so if i could fix their sleds during the week so they can ride during the week, and they would not have to waste time by going to a dealer

· Registered
6,041 Posts
It's been done in the mountain bike world for years,
so ya, it definately CAN be done.

Now the other questions:
Is it profitable, sustainable, affordable to start and stock, licences, insurance, employees, equipment, etc etc etc

I'm not trying to be negative, I actually think it's an interesting idea.
I'm just pointing out some of the things that go into a business plan

· Registered
15,705 Posts
We have a guy around here. He goes by rent-a-tech. comes to your house, shop, or on the water. He mainly does boats and water craft but will work on sleds as long as you not in the middle of nowhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.