Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and ladies,
This a bit of how I began my quest for a snowmobile.
I had an old Pantera when I lived in Ontario many years ago that I had to sell since I moved to Louisiana and the lack of snow there. I then moved to IN back in the 90's and got the bug again after going up to MI to snowmobile with friends the last 5 or 6 years. So, a year ago I had someone give me a 1980 Skidoo citation 4500 with no engine and a bunch of other parts and pieces missing and soon found out how much $$$ it would cost to get it back together, so I gave it away to another friend and started looking for another sled. This brings me to my new acquisition. Last Friday I bought a 93 Indy 500 EFI with 5000 miles in very nice shape along with a 92 Arctic cat Prowler 440 with 2000 miles in even better shape, and they also came with a trailer and 2 very nice helmets. The very nice lady that was selling them on craigslist and mentioned that she used to ride up in WI with her late husband and now since he's gone she just never rides them anymore. I have pics on my work computer, but will post some when I get to work. I picked all of the stuff up for $500 with clean titles for all three. It was one heck of a deal that I couldn't pass up. One needs a fuel line the other needs a battery. I can't wait for next winter and the trips up to MI to do some riding and hopefully tons of snow in IN, so I can get my son out riding with me.
This looks like a great site for a relative newbie in the land of experts, so be gentle. [beer]

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Welcome, this is a great sight with tons of info, stick around and you'll learn alot. Where about in Ontario are you from? You got one helluva deal on those sleds!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I keep checking to make sure they are mine and it's not a dream. I spoke to her tonight and she might have some other stuff as well, but it might take a few days to dig it all out. Matching jackets was one thing she mentioned.
One guy told me I bought a trailer and they threw in 2 sleds and some helmets for free.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
my69mach said:
One guy told me I bought a trailer and they threw in 2 sleds and some helmets for free.
No doubt!!! What a steal![thumb]Hope you have a great time with them. And welcome to the site.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you got a great deal.

Your username has me curious though,do you have a 69 Mach1?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
hey man..Welcome to the site! I'm pretty much new as well.Enjoy the site and the good weather...trails is closed here now and we loaded up my wife's snowmobile on the trailer so now its on to spring/summer.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Welcom so Snowmobile Fanatics, I bet you can't wait to get back on the saddle. That is a great deal. Have fun and stay safe.
You will learn a lot from this site. Just watch out for those giving false information though.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
RMK-KING said:
I'm hoping it's a Mach 1 Mustang and we get to see pictures of that as well [lurker]

Welcome to the site man. Great people and information on here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RMK-KING said:

I've had it since high school which is roughly 30 years ago and before that my Dad had it for several years. I'm in the middle of a huge restoration project with it and just got it off the rotisserie not that long ago. It's a 390 4spd car which is pretty rare.

201031091016729_32962.jpg
Here's a pic of what they look like. Better photos to follow.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
my69mach said:
RMK-KING said:

I've had it since high school which is roughly 30 years ago and before that my Dad had it for several years. I'm in the middle of a huge restoration project with it and just got it off the rotisserie not that long ago. It's a 390 4spd car which is pretty rare.
Sweet,you should make a thread on it and update your progress as you go. I love those cars! My brother has a 71.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RMK-KING said:
my69mach said:
RMK-KING said:

Sweet,you should make a thread on it and update your progress as you go. I love those cars! My brother has a 71.
20103109291289_32962.jpg
Here's the engine after the rebuild and a few modifications... 428 CJ heads, edlebrock intake and a few other goodies.... for some reason my work computer only has a couple of the engine pics... need to dig deeper and find pics of the car. I had a 71 convertible and many many other Mustangs over the years.
I need to finish up my 05 Jeep Unlimited before I can get back to the Mustang... wifey is not real happy right now that the Jeep is sitting and waiting for a new computer for it.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
lol as I told you on the other site, GREAT DEAL!! I just bought one sled for 500. What i would recomend is over the summer, look them over, take the rear skid out, grease everything up on them, check all wear points, make them trail ready, and trail SAFE!! The time you spend making the ready can really help out in the long run. New gas lines, get the carbs cleaned, replace the carbides/slides if necesary, get them registered, make sure the belts and clutches are good. Just check them over and tune them up and get the maintenence going good on them again. Have fun!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
A good improvement for that Prowler would be a 97-02 skid for a better ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PolarisIndySKS said:
lol as I told you on the other site, GREAT DEAL!! I just bought one sled for 500. What i would recomend is over the summer, look them over, take the rear skid out, grease everything up on them, check all wear points, make them trail ready, and trail SAFE!! The time you spend making the ready can really help out in the long run. New gas lines, get the carbs cleaned, replace the carbides/slides if necesary, get them registered, make sure the belts and clutches are good. Just check them over and tune them up and get the maintenence going good on them again. Have fun!
I hope to get info from both websites, but you make some great suggestions on what I should take care of before next winter and that is a huge help. I did check out the list of common repairs on this site and will be going through both sleds this summer to make sure I won't have problems in the winter. I know may way around cars and now I'll need to educate myself around sleds, since they have changed a lot since owning the old Pantera. Saturday is the big day of cleaning them to see what's beneath all the dirt and the good thing is there isn't much dirt. Registration is good for 3 years here and that is one of my first priorities.
I already bought new gas line for them and will be checking them out this weekend. They will be stored in a friends storage unit for the summer for free, since I did an engine swap for him at no charge last year.
I will be all ears for suggestions and how and what I can do to improve them, but I'm not sure if I'll be doing any major suspension changes until I see how they ride... baby steps: make them run very well, make them dependable, store them properly and then cosmetics. I might need to drag out the old air brush and get on the vinyl cutter at work, but that's not a priority.
How to break the news to the wife...hmmmm

·
Registered
449 Posts
Welcome to the site. Where abouts in Indiana are you living. I'm in South Bend, and do most of my riding in Southwest MI.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Needmosnow said:
Welcome to the site. Where abouts in Indiana are you living. I'm in South Bend, and do most of my riding in Southwest MI.
Just north of Indy in Noblesville.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The sleds are officially at the storage unit, but what an ordeal to get them out of the ladies yard. The trailer sank in the mud and the only reason they are out is because I have a Jeep with Mud tires and 4 wheel drive. I'll have to figure out how to get pics off my phone to see the poor ladies yard, but she wanted them out of there and I got them out of there, but I did agree to level out the dirt and plant new grass seed for her. It was raining like crazy during this ordeal which added to the mess. There was little to no grass in the area before and there is none in that area now.
I didn't get to clean them and now I have more mud on them from the mud flying off my tires. It was quite a sight all the way out of her subdivision. Good thing I have on board air and getting some air in the trailer tires was critical for the ride home. Now getting them to the car wash in the next week or so and see what I have to work with.
Another bonus is she gave me a Z1R jacket that matches the helmet and arctic cat.

Stay tuned for more exciting news and pics.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Nice find!...I am hoping to find a deal like that this summer...need a trailer and sled for the wife!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well here's the aftermath of getting the sleds out. The ground had little to no grass before I showed up.
The rain was starting to come pouring down, so I snapped only a couple of pics. What you can't see in the one pic is the tree that kept me from getting them out in one straight shot.
201031513633826_32962.jpg
201031513714638_32962.jpg
201031513754857_32962.jpg
Ouch! I have a bit or work getting her yard back together, but it was well worth it. Level out the dirt, plant some grass seed and it will be as good as new.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts