Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a dealership here that carries Polaris, Arctic Cat, and SkiDoo, so it was easy to compare all the new stuff side-by-side yesterday when I went looking (looks-wize anyway).

I had it in my mind that I was probably going to switch to an F6 next spring when I get a new sled, but after seeing and sitting on all the new stuff, I left there wanting a black IQ 600....now!
Man, that thing is awesome....

Is there any reason to go with the 4 stroke?

The IQ LX seems like a great sled as well. Is it pretty much just an IQ with more features? What's the deal with it having the M-10 suspention though? Why wouldn't they put IQ on all the sleds?

At any rate, I'll be sticking with Polaris.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
im not sure but i think the iq stands for the chassis. btu the m-10 is one of the best stock suspensions out there. i'd go with a 4 stroke considering the price of oil. and they have a better power band from what i've heard. + if the wife rides and doesn't liek the smell problem solved. if your a person who puts allot of high miles on a sled 4 strokes are for you.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
4-strokes are nice for their no smoke, low odor exhaust, great fuel economy and durability. Also, the powerband for a 4-stroke is a lot wider. Whereas most 2-strokes make the best power from the midrange to the topend, a 4-strokes makes power all the way from idle up to redline and have a very linear, smooth powerband.
One of the major downsides to 4-strokes is that while the engine does last longer, when it finally does need to be rebuild its going to cost you a lot more. Typically a 4-stroke costs 20 times more to rebuild than a 2-stroke. You can rebuild a 2-stroke for under $500, but a 4-stroke is going to cost you at least $2,000.
2 years ago a guy on HCS threw a rod in his RX-1 and it cost him $2000 just to get 1 of the cylinders rebuilt.
I havent gotten the chance to try out an FST yet, but Ive talked to a lot of people who own them and they seemed to really like them. Im hoping to get the chance to try out an FST this winter. I think it would be kinda cool to try to make an FST ditchbanger with a 6" bar riser and the seat off of the Dragon. Maybe in about 5 years when my XC has 15,000-20,000 miles on it I will look into buying a good used FST for about $3,000 and doing just that. If nothing else it would be a head-turner.
The M-10 is a very plush suspension for people who arent really aggressive riders. The M-10 does well on small to medium sized bumps, but when the moguls get big and the holes get deep, the M-10 isnt the best suspension. Also, the M-10 adds a lot of weight and makes the sled more tippy in the corners. Thats why they use the IQ rear suspension on the high performance models and use the M-10 on the touring models.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The M-10..or any rear suspension would NOT make a sled Tippy in the corners.
Why would you think that??? People said the same thing back in '95 about the XLT SP w/Xtra.
(which wasn't true)
A 2-Stroke can make power anywhere you want it. It is all in how the engine is tuned (and clutching)

The M-10 is an option for those riders who don't race corner to corner, who stay away from big moguls and prefer the trail to a ditch.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
At 590 lbs. and only 140 HP the FST would be a terrible choice for a ditch-bangin sled, especially when there are 140 HP F7's that weigh over 100 lbs less..For $9399.00 there are a ton of sleds one could buy that would make a much better ditch-banger...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Originally posted by BarkMulcher
[br]The M-10..or any rear suspension would NOT make a sled Tippy in the corners.
Why would you think that??? People said the same thing back in '95 about the XLT SP w/Xtra.
(which wasn't true)
A 2-Stroke can make power anywhere you want it. It is all in how the engine is tuned (and clutching)

The M-10 is an option for those riders who don't race corner to corner, who stay away from big moguls and prefer the trail to a ditch.
I thought you were brand new to snowmobiling? Octane is right, of course IMO.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Well I truely believe in short order there will be nothing but 4 strokes available. Since I also drag race I am always leaning towards one because that is what I know personally. I went riding last year with my buddy and his nytro, he got a little over 20mpg with it, I got 7 with my XC700. Now of course the Apex will get less than the 3 cyl and I have no idea what the Poo's are getting. Never even seen one on the trail or lake yet to ask about it.

I also think in a sled the chassis will be trashed long before a 4 stroke needs a rebuilding, in most cases. Yes of course anything can and will break. But look how long the Yamaha bikes are lasting... 20+k.... I know the way I ride in 20K miles wont be much of a sled left underneith me.

I came real close last year to selling one of my drag cars and picking up an Apex and doing an asphalt conversion with a supercharger to bracket race. I figured I could enjoy it all year. Just never really pursued it.

Again I hope all makes start pursuing the 4 stroke soon, before its mandated. Or they will be severly behind the 8 ball when the time comes.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
You are right there Garceau. If you ride a 4 stroke hard, the engine will outlast the chassis by far. I am a supportor of both the 2 and 4 strokes. Both have their pros and cons. I think a 4 stroke is alot better to start putting mods on because it is going to last. They are alot less tempermental than strokes too. The powerband is absolutely amazing on a 4 stroke. Idle to redline it pulls, and pulls constantly with no dead spots. As for gas mileage. That is all relative. I rode for 3 hours last weekend and burnt 1 "bar" off of my fuel gauge. Then I rode for 3 more hours in theh powder playing and burnt over half of a tank. If your making a 4 stroke work, it is going to suck about the same amount of gas as the 2 stroke contender. It kicks the 2 strokes ass on trails for gas mileage though.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
The Gov't cannot mandate that a certain engine type be used, that would violate Federal Restraint of Trade policy, however, they can push for stricter EPA emmissions law. Before you see the likes of Cat, Doo, and Poo go 100% 4-stroke you'll see them invest in DI technology, which would then put 4-strokes at the dis-advantage because a DI 2-stroke would be cleaner than today's 4's....

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by BarkMulcher
[br]The M-10..or any rear suspension would NOT make a sled Tippy in the corners.
(which wasn't true)

The m-10 and xtra 12 were and are higher than the edge and xtra 10 so yes they were tippier as the center of gravity was higher. My family and friends had several.

Look at a dyno chart for a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke. You will see the curves are different.

The engine is only going to make the power where the engineers design the pipe and port height to do it at.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
i always heard from people around here 4 strokes have no power to cat walk or anything which is completely wrong 4 strokes have so much more torque then 2 strokes do

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Originally posted by The_Mad_Warrior
[br]i always heard from people around here 4 strokes have no power to cat walk or anything which is completely wrong 4 strokes have so much more torque then 2 strokes do
man, that was jsut on tv too, they were saying 4 strokes have less torque and less potentional for top end power than a 2stroke. personally i dont no what id go with if i got a new sled

·
Registered
577 Posts
Originally posted by Thinksno
I thought you were brand new to snowmobiling?
No. Just back after a 10 year break.
A little rusty I think...but it is all coming back....[;)]

Originally posted by xcr440
The m-10 and xtra 12 were and are higher than the edge and xtra 10 so yes they were tippier as the center of gravity was higher.
I have to disagre on that one. With the wider ski-stance and setting up the suspension properly...I felt they handled better (Mine Did), unless I was always at the front of the pack becuase I was a better rider[:D]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts