Snowmobile Fanatics banner

New project sled, Few questions.

2K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  MXZ700SKS700 
#1 ·
Whats going on?
I just went down to Anchorage for shoulder surgery & ended up buying another Pro-X, this one is a '03 800 121 all stock other than MBRP can & has about 900 miles. Here are some questions I have:

- I want to stud it out, How many, what length, & what pattern is best for ice/hard packed snow? The track is damn near new but I didn't think to get the specifics before I shipped but it can't be over 3/4".

-Are my VF3's swappable between my 700 & 800?

-I want my SLP pipe/can on the 800, will the MBRP can for the 800 work on the 700?

-What the best gearing for low to mid range?

Here are some pictures of it the day I picked it up. It needs some work but runs awesome & was cheap. Nice bars huh? HAHA!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Automotive exterior

Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

Vehicle Snowmobile Automotive exterior Motorsport Windshield

All help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

See less See more
#7 ·
Dekk70 said:
Your vforces will work but I wouldn't suggest swaping the pipe over. They are specifically tuned for a particular motor.
I was told by a few guys here that it was ok, were they wrong? I assumed they were right because I have seen pipes listed as being for 700/800.

#9 ·
If the track is 0.75" lug height, and your purpose for this sled is aggressive trail riding(ex. Groomed trails) I would suggest 144 1" Woody's Gold Digger or Megabite studs (combination or double and single backers). That will grip the trail good, and plus the torque of an 800, that track will want to spin. If you had the chance, i would suggest you upgrade to a 1.25" Camoplast Ripsaw(if you plan any off trail riding for this sled, there are better tracks for your Pro-X, the Pro-X chassis leaves alot of tunnel clearence for you to work with (about 1.7") Take a measuring tape and chack lug height, and add 0.25" stud penatration (1" track = 1.25" studs)

The MBRP can from your 800 Pro-X will fit on your 700 Pro-X

V-Force 3 reeds are same for 700/800 motors

Leave the SLP pipe combo on your 700, the set-up is designed for the 700v.e.s motor, if you are looking for best results; leave it on 700 as the motor is jetted and clutched for that pipe combo, oh and the SLP pipe will work with the MBRP can as well.

Do you know if the gearing is stock? You could go with a 440 gearing ratio (something like 21/40)

Yes, we all know the bars are high and ugly. But, are the comfortable to you? If so, i would buy a set of handlebars that have around 2" of rise (FLY mini bend) and then a 6" riser. (would be same height, but not look retarded).

Does the 800 have the BB crank upgrade? SS valve upgrade? push/pull arms? did you check crank run-out & compression?

Looks like a great/mint sled though man!

#10 ·
should be a fun project. personally i would get a 1.5 or a 1.75 lug for it. either that or extend it to a 136 or 144. I think that 144 studs would be good, on mine i put mine in a 3-2 pattern and it hooks up pretty good. if the bars feel good i would leave them on there if not find a different setup.

#11 ·
MXZ700SKS700 said:
Dekk70 said:
Your vforces will work but I wouldn't suggest swaping the pipe over. They are specifically tuned for a particular motor.
I was told by a few guys here that it was ok, were they wrong? I assumed they were right because I have seen pipes listed as being for 700/800.
Ya I jus looked on their site and the part number for the 700 and 800 are the same. I jus figured they would be tuned different.

#12 ·
Nice looking sled. Not entirely sure, but those looks like bicycle handlebars. 21/43 gearing would be perfect. 21/40 just seems way to high to me. I'm running 21/45 with my trail converted 600 mod motor, and a 2" track. Remember, you need to clutch differently for the power difference you'll get from the reeds/pipe ( if you want MAX performance out of your sled ).

#13 ·
Dekk70 said:
MXZ700SKS700 said:
Dekk70 said:
Ya I jus looked on their site and the part number for the 700 and 800 are the same. I jus figured they would be tuned different.
Yes the 700/800 pipe are the same, but his 700 is jetted and clutched for the pipe, and the 800 isnt, i doubt he wants to shell out an unnecasary $200 for the components.

Mad-Boondocker said:
should be a fun project. personally i would get a 1.5 or a 1.75 lug for it. either that or extend it to a 136 or 144. I think that 144 studs would be good, on mine i put mine in a 3-2 pattern and it hooks up pretty good. if the bars feel good i would leave them on there if not find a different setup.
If hes looking for aggressive trail riding i would leave it a 121" and install a 1.5" Camoplast ripsaw with 144 1.6" megabites.

He already has a long tracked prox, i doubt he wants two.

#14 ·
I would hardly call an 03 Pro-X with 900 miles on it a "project sled," lol

144 studs would be better suited for the 800. Throw a ripsaw on there and stud it out and you'll be one happy SOB. I put in a 4-2-4 pattern on my sled with double backers on the 4 rows. It hooked up 100x better this year with that setup.

#15 ·
jesse500 said:
Dekk70 said:
MXZ700SKS700 said:
Dekk70 said:
Yes the 700/800 pipe are the same, but his 700 is jetted and clutched for the pipe, and the 800 isnt, i doubt he wants to shell out an unnecasary $200 for the components.

Mad-Boondocker said:
If hes looking for aggressive trail riding i would leave it a 121" and install a 1.5" Camoplast ripsaw with 144 1.6" megabites.

He already has a long tracked prox, i doubt he wants two.
an another good track would be the camoplast corbra. not a 1.5 but it can be studded like a 1.25 because technically the lug on that track is soft and most people can stud it like a 1.25 but still have a 1.375 track at the same time

#16 ·
jesse500 said:
If the track is 0.75" lug height, and your purpose for this sled is aggressive trail riding(ex. Groomed trails) I would suggest 144 1" Woody's Gold Digger or Megabite studs (combination or double and single backers). That will grip the trail good, and plus the torque of an 800, that track will want to spin. If you had the chance, i would suggest you upgrade to a 1.25" Camoplast Ripsaw(if you plan any off trail riding for this sled, there are better tracks for your Pro-X, the Pro-X chassis leaves alot of tunnel clearence for you to work with (about 1.7") Take a measuring tape and chack lug height, and add 0.25" stud penatration (1" track = 1.25" studs)

The MBRP can from your 800 Pro-X will fit on your 700 Pro-X

V-Force 3 reeds are same for 700/800 motors

Leave the SLP pipe combo on your 700, the set-up is designed for the 700v.e.s motor, if you are looking for best results; leave it on 700 as the motor is jetted and clutched for that pipe combo, oh and the SLP pipe will work with the MBRP can as well.

Do you know if the gearing is stock? You could go with a 440 gearing ratio (something like 21/40)

Yes, we all know the bars are high and ugly. But, are the comfortable to you? If so, i would buy a set of handlebars that have around 2" of rise (FLY mini bend) and then a 6" riser. (would be same height, but not look retarded).

Does the 800 have the BB crank upgrade? SS valve upgrade? push/pull arms? did you check crank run-out & compression?

Looks like a great/mint sled though man!
Updating the track was a thought but a studded .75 or 1.0 will do great up here & lately I've been switching sleds up every season anyway so I'd rather put the funds elsewhere.

The reason I'm wanting to swap parts is because my 700 will be up for sale as soon as i swap parts. Selling my sled is how i justify a new sled every year. To keep the pipe I'd do some clutch work & jetting.

The bars are TV bars, I didn't ride with them but they are uncomfortable & look stupid ass hell. My straight bars are nice & would want to do that again or use the mini bend but think I'll need Rox as well. My 700 has a total of 10" with block & Rox & they're perfect.

I know no specifics about the sled right now, it was spur of the moment kind of thing. We'll see soon enough if it was worth it.

Not quite mint (some gouges & surface rust) But it'll mint come next winter

Sorry for being short with some answers, my shoulder hurts.

#18 ·
snowdriven said:
Whats that lady doing?
Nice sled.. stock track on that sled is 1" lug.
That would be Mom checking out the new money pit.

Mad-Boondocker said:
Oh yeah, great project sled. If I keep the sled more than 1 season, the track will be a must. As far as going to a 136 or 144, I'm good on that. I actually have a 136 Pro-X & 144 RMK in the garage tight now. I want this sled for speed. The bars are uncomfortable & ugly, I was just talking Ish because the previous owners put ATV bars on it. Thanks for the info.

zecow224 said:
did the guy do the big bearing update on the crank? if not i would take a look at the crank and make sure it is all good.
I dont know but knowing my luck he didn't. Do you know where i can get some info about it? Thanks.

#20 ·
if it has the stock track it's an 1.25"....i owned one. Also, that sled is already geared for low and mid range. The only thing I'd do is get your bars at a comfortable height.

#21 ·
zecow224 said:
just ask on here the guys will tell you.
The upgrades for an 800 are as following:

-BB (big bearing)-bigger PTO side bearing, more lube
-SS valve (stainless steel echaust valves)-stock ones are known to hit the piston. the SS upgrade is a good idea
-welded crank-get a shop that does this (bikeman) welding the crank keeps it from flexing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.