Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up this 1982 S10 with a 305 V8 in it with Hooker longtube headers and a turbo 350 trans. It runs great but the tranny only works in reverse so I picked up another 305 with a turbo 350 trans with 80 000kms for $180 to drop in. Here are some pics.

[attachment=53359]

[attachment=53360]

[attachment=53361]

[attachment=53362]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I've always liked the looks of those trucks. My brother had a 92 single cab short bed 2.8L with a 5 spd. Tight fit for me at 6'3", but would have been a sweet truck with a 350 and about 4-5 inches of drop [:)]

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
My buddy has an '89 s10 short bed with a 305 in it. He just had it painted a month or so ago a bit darker blue thatn yours and plans on addin 17" wheels.

Should be a nice truck. We are going to need to see some progress pics [:D]

·
Registered
844 Posts
You might try changeing the tranny fluid and filter.
I know a couple people who've gotten good deals on GM
trucks because"the tranny's out of it" A fluid change later,
and they were driveing it, forward!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try and get some progress pics soon enough, nothing special so far just have the front clip off, engine/tranny out, and currently painting the new engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I cannot wait to see the pictures of when its done! My dad's owned three S-10s but in 04 he bought a brand new red 1500 Z71...but it's a nice truck.I like it.

·
Super Moderator
11,663 Posts
I always thought a small pickup like that with a V8 would be a somewhat fun toy...[}:)]

Good luck, and keep us updated. [:)]

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
We have a guy here in town with a 454 in one. Roasts the tires for ever.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We ran into a problem with the truck, I purchased the new 350 turbo tranny and discovered it has a 9" tailshaft meanwhile our tranny that we pulled out has a 6" tailshaft, meaning that the driveshaft is now 3 inches too long. Does anybody know if it can be shortened at home or if i have to bring it into a machine shop, and how much it roughly costs. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Drive shafts should be properly balanced unless they are for off road use only. For that truck, I would have it balanced after getting shortened.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Originally posted by moto-ski-man
[br]We ran into a problem with the truck, I purchased the new 350 turbo tranny and discovered it has a 9" tailshaft meanwhile our tranny that we pulled out has a 6" tailshaft, meaning that the driveshaft is now 3 inches too long. Does anybody know if it can be shortened at home or if i have to bring it into a machine shop, and how much it roughly costs. Thanks for any info.
Look around a bit. I know around here you can get one made for a few hundred bucks. I would also check on line because you are probably not the first person to ever run into this problem. There may be a company that makes the proper length driveshaft.

If you do decide to shorten the one you have get it done by a professional and also get it balanced. On top of that I would put a drive shaft loop on the truck when you put the shaft back on. That will keep you from entering the S-10 Olymipcs as a pole vaulter if the shaft decides to come apart.

Good luck!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts