Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gotta say something about this. I notice that REI is now advertising on Snowmobile Fanatics. While I know the website could use the money by selling advertising, is this really where we as snowmobilers want to spend our money? Take a look at where REI sends money and you make the choice. Read through the big words and "fluff" and realize that they are contributing to the efforts that remove access, close riding areas, and designate wilderness to our PUBLIC lands. Personally, I wouldn't buy a pack of gum from them.

This was taken from REI's website, as well as the following links and info from these links:

http://www.rei.com/aboutrei/conservation02.html
We encourage you to join our efforts to protect recreation areas and enhance access to muscle powered recreation activities.

Below are samples of regional and national grants awarded in 2004. For more information about these groups, please click on the name of the organization.

http://www.cdtrail.org/page.php $30,000 granted to them by REI.
In 1978, Congress made a monumental decision, one that secured the future of the most scenic, wild and remote landscapes in America. They designated the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail (CDT), also known as the “King of Trails”.

The vision for the CDT is a 3,100-mile primitive and challenging backcountry trail from Canada to Mexico along the backbone of America. Approximately 70% of the Trail is usable. However, many of those miles are in desperate need of repair, rerouting for sustainability, or removed from roads and motorized trails.

http://www.greatlandtrust.org/whoweare/mission.html $4,000 granted to them by REI.
Our Mission
Great Land Trust is a private, non-profit land conservation organization founded in 1995 by residents of Anchorage and the Mat-Su Valley. We are working with willing landowners and other partners to conserve Southcentral Alaska's lands and waterways.

The trust permanently and directly conserves lands and waterways essential to the quality of life and economic health of our communities.

The Great Land Trust achieves this goal in several ways, including:

Working in partnership with landowners who wish to protect the special features of their land through voluntary private action
Direct land purchase
Cooperating with businesses, nonprofits, and local, state, and federal agencies on projects that benefit the community

http://www.mtsgreenway.org/ $20,000 granted to them by REI.
The Mountains to Sound Greenway Trust is the nonprofit organization that helped to protect these lands and preserve them for the public's benefit. We carry that work forward by encouraging public land acquisition along I-90 and through environmental stewardship and educational activities. We unite hikers, corporate executives, government leaders, environmentalists and community advocates who share a vision of careful planning for growth balanced by preservation of forested open spaces, clean air and water, for ourselves and for future generations.

http://www.natlforests.org/recreation_damage.html $50,000 granted to them by REI.
Other techniques employed by land managers include:
Concentrating visitors to certain areas (trails, campgrounds, boat launches) in order to minimize the size and scope of damaged areas.
Routing trails to resistant and resilient environments while avoiding sensitive areas.

[red]Temporarily closing areas, trails and roads to protect sensitive or rare species and habitats and to allow for revegetation and restoration. Closures may come about when use becomes too high or when a better area is available. [/red][/size=3]Maintaining trails, campsites and other areas before damage becomes irreparable.
[red]Permanently closing areas to protect sensitive or rare species and habitats as well as preserving solitude and wilderness qualities. [/red][/size=3]

http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin/wtaweb.pl?2+advocacy+main $30,000 granted to them by REI.
Washington Trails Association speaks out for hiking trails - on your behalf. Elected officials and agency leaders make decisions that affect Northwest hikers all the time. WTA works with decision makers to advance the interests of hikers when such issues are being decided.
Through collaborative partnerships, lobbying, and grassroots advocacy, we work for trail funding, access, [red]wilderness protection [/red][/size=3]and more. From the Forest Service deciding which trails to maintain in a given season, to Congress deciding how much money to allocate for trail maintenance, WTA is there to ensure that hikers have a voice in the process.

I urge all of you to click http://www.rei.com/aboutrei/grants02.html and make the choice as to wether or not you should be spending your money at REI.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
boy, nowadays you cant go nowhere without supporting the greenies.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Originally posted by Student Driver
[br]REI is and always has been a straight up tree hugger company.
I refuse to spend even a penny there.
Personally, I hope they go bankrupt and maybe the owner could even commit suicide.
Wow. Tell us what you really think. [:D]

Ill never spend a cent on a treehugger company either. Less money they have to spread their bull**** propaganda the better off we'll all be.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Originally posted by butcher_boy
[br]I clicked on to see what it was they are selling. Sure enough. Crap.
Yeah, everything under the sun for the "non-motorized outdoor enthusiast" (aka: Birkinstock wearing,bleeding-heart Liberal cry-baby save the crickets-tree hugging....blah-blah)[}:)]

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Originally posted by MonsterJay
[br]
Wow. Tell us what you really think. [:D]

Ill never spend a cent on a treehugger company either. Less money they have to spread their bull**** propaganda the better off we'll all be.
I actually held back quite a bit as cussing etc is not alloud here. lol

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Ya those granolas are really going crazy everywhere. I had a girl that looked like she killed a sheep, come up to my door the other day looking for money for some tree hugging group. I told her that I pay license fees to hunt and fish, and all that money goes to the environment.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I'm kinda surprised that erick would accept advertising money from such a group...[?]

·
Registered
521 Posts
Once I had a guy from the sierra club come up to me while I was working in my garage with the door open. He asked me if myself or anyone else in the house was interested in joining. Then he looked around and saw two sleds, a gas powered ice auger, a couple of chainsaws, and a variety of other gas powered implements and he turned around a walked away. As far as REI, I shop there once in a while, but only because its the best place to find things for backpacking and camping which are activities I enjoy in the summer, but I do not agree with their mission statement one bit.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Originally posted by ultrastud
[br]I'm kinda surprised that erick would accept advertising money from such a group...[?]
Just because it is on here doesn't mean that he approves of them.

A topic like this just came up on the hunting site that I visit and I guess that you can buy ad banners sort of like "by the bunch".

Basiclly lets say that you run a hunting oriented site. You can go to an advertising company and say "I have a hunting site and I need hunting oriented sponsors" The company will then set up a package of advertisers that have marked themselves as hunting oriented. The banner or ads or whatever are then put on your sight as a group not based on you picking each individual ad.
(note: I am not an advertising guru and this is something that I read on another site and am now trying to remember and spit back out. I am sure it isn't exactly right but the point is there)

I would imagine that if Erick knew that REI was anti sledding he wouldn't put them on here.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only scratched the surface on what they have on the website. I didn't want to make the post so big that no one would read it. Go to their website and check it out. Smaller donations go to the youth activities groups (which are designed to turn your kids into greenies) and the larger grants and donations go to the enviro nazi groups hell bent on shutting us down and restricting use to card holding green-heads.

It's a slap in the face for them to advertise on sites like this. They want our money to use against us.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
this doesnt suprise me one bit. damn them haters!! just because they like to go out and do god knows what in the forest with the trees and squirrels and such, doesnt mean they have to ruin it for those of us that respect nature when we sled. id like to bust them in the eye for their continued TREE HUGERS GOOD---SNOWMOBILERS BAD attitude.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Originally posted by ShoelessJoe
Just because it is on here doesn't mean that he approves of them.

A topic like this just came up on the hunting site that I visit and I guess that you can buy ad banners sort of like "by the bunch".

Basiclly lets say that you run a hunting oriented site. You can go to an advertising company and say "I have a hunting site and I need hunting oriented sponsors" The company will then set up a package of advertisers that have marked themselves as hunting oriented. The banner or ads or whatever are then put on your sight as a group not based on you picking each individual ad.
(note: I am not an advertising guru and this is something that I read on another site and am now trying to remember and spit back out. I am sure it isn't exactly right but the point is there)
You have the general idea, although it goes into much greater detail. Those ads are served up by Google AdSense (which comprises about 50% of the ads on the site). There are many algorithms which go into how/which ads are displayed on the site but basically, Google will pick the best ads for the page based on the content and keywords that the advertiser has specified. I have very limited control over the entire process. Google is the middle man, not me. I do not have a direct relationship with them.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
so just where do they find key words like; tree-hugger, friends of the forest, envrio-nazi, green heads, etc etc, to want their ad here,,,on a site that from the looks of it- they would rather see disappear. just doesnt make any sense

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
That wasn't a slam against you erick, I know absolutley NOTHING about advertising on the net or how it works, so I guess what I was trying to say was I didn't think you'd be the kind of person to "sell out" just to make a buck, does that sound better?? I hope so, it was meant as a compliment to erick for having the best sled site on the net..[:D]

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think I'm going to go crank up the oil ratio on my sled, install a deeper lug track, maybe some swing-out chainsaws on the sides of the bellypan. Screw them. I'm all for being responsible and trying to "tread lightly", but come on. If they really want to get crazy, there shouldn't be any hiking trails either. You have to clear some brush and grasses to make hiking trails, no?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
you're exactlly right. i never thought about that. what about fishing....many times have i seen empty beer cans by the river. but still they pick on sledders

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, does Google Adsense generate a lot of money for snowmobilefanatics.com? I see REI alot on the top banner, and lots of other 'green' related links on the Google second post of every thread. They aren't there because of key words like "mountain", or "environment", or "hiking", or "conservation". They key in on words like "two-stroke", "racing fuel", "exhaust", or even "snowmobile". They want our money, they want it so that they know our money is being used to circumvent our own efforts.

Where is the added value to SF.com of having this when the dollars given to places like REI are used against us? It is counter-productive to the efforts of all of the associations such as SAWS and The Blue Ribbon Coalition, that a lot of us on here give money to every year. I'm a member of both of those organizations, and I know that Student Driver, owner of Gravity Worx Racing and sponsor/advertiser with SF.com, is a member of SAWS. We already know how Darin feels about REI, and we all know that business is business, but where is the gut check? Darin probably wouldn't pull his sponsorship or advertising, but what line has been crossed to put a link to GravityWorxRacing and REI on the same page?

I'm not putting you on the spot Darin, just using you as an example to make my point.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts