Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for new sled advice. I was away from snowmobiling last year as my wife and I were purchasing a vacation home on a lake (No sled $[:(]) Now that we have the lake home, a new sled is a given[;)]. However, since our daughter is only 2 and we have another baby on the way, I will not keep the sled at our permanent residence, but rather at the lake. Therefore, it will only be ridden every other weekend and maybe a few other days on little trips to the vacation home. With this in mind, I need something reliable, fairly fast, but not too expensive (actually, isn't that what we all need?) In the past I have gotten good deals on leftover sleds as I have been able to resist the latest and greatest hardware to save $1000 or so. My previous sleds were both Polaris (an XC 500 and XC 700). Although they were good sleds, I certainly don't bleed Polaris. I'm open to all brands. I particularly like the idea of the REV's since I have a moto-cross background and hate the traditional feet forward riding position of snowmobiles. I always rode my XC's with my feet directly below me. To stop the rambling, I'll say: I need something that will kick some butt across the lake, be a good trail sled, and fit within a $5000-6500 US$ budget. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
I particularly like the idea of the REV's since I have a moto-cross background and hate the traditional feet forward riding position of snowmobiles. I always rode my XC's with my feet directly below me.
u know, now that it hink bout it, i always ride my sled with my feet below me, but it hasnt really bothered me as i am standing up 95% of the time neway, i have to tell my self "Chad, sit down" then in bout 20 seconds im standing up again pounding the bumps

neway, go with another XC, good looking sleds and good performance, if you wanna try something different u could prolly get a REV, 2002 or 2003 depending on the snow conditions and time of year and dealer. a Firecat could be a possibilty also, your not gonna get a brand new sled that will compete with a XC 500 or 700, but a 2002 or even 01 could do it in your price range, what year were the XCs u had neway?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
do you need a new sled, if so your not going to get in the 5-6 K spot, with a sled that will kick ass....my suggestion, get a year old used sled then go from there

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for reply. '98 500 and '00 700. No exhaust valves [:(] Am really considering a leftover XC 600 or 700. But the idea of a REV 600 or F6 is quite enticing. I like the F7 but both of my friends who had them last year blew them up (one of them twice). Being fast is nice, but riding is better.
PS Blowing the budget would probably be OK if I had enough thorough advice that I'd be happier with the suggested sled.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What's the problem with blowing the bank? Heck! The dog house you'll be in is the vacation home by the lake!
What more could you ask for?

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Originally posted by Pro Xate
[br] The dog house you'll be in is the vacation home by the lake!
What more could you ask for?
LMAO...

I would look for a carry over XC, ZR or the ZX platform MX Z. IMO

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
From your description of your riding style, and what you're looking for, I'd say you'd be really pleased with an 02' or 03' REV 600. Light, fast, manuverable, and in your price range.

With a motor cross back ground and riding with your feet under you and not out in front; I think the REV would fit you to a T!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good advice & perspectives [:D] I can see my wife telling me to go ahead & go riding...as long as you take the kids. [:0]
I called the Polaris-Cat dealer located a few miles from our lake home to check on carry overs. A few F7's and an F5 but prices are still up there. But the XC's are priced to go-2 '02 600's still in the crate $5400[:p]. '03 600's $5800 & 700's $6200. I still have to get some prices on REV's but like the idea of buying from the local dealer and I hate the studding limitations of the non-current REV's. Oh yeah--those Polaris prices include an additional year of warranty and a free helmet or jacket! WOW...any new advice or thoughts on '02 vs. '03 on the XC's? Also, 600 or 700?

G

·
Try some of the snowmobile rental places. Around here they buy new sleds every year and sell off last years models. They sell them at very good prices and from what I have seen, they are in pretty good condition. Well maintained and around 2000 miles average.

Just a thought.

D

·
Registered
93 Posts
There are plenty of REV's still at the dealers. Some 600 HO's were going for under $6000 (with rebate). It pays to call around to lots of dealers and see whats available and how much. You might find one in your price range.

Also - aren't the 500SS Revs in that price range? Its a 600 standard engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts