Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent all last week cleaning up the parts, the past couple of days assembling stuff.
Day before yesterday was servicing the VES and one of the threaded portions SNAPPED off. That was fun. Not one single Pol shop in Alaska had one. Two big dealerships in The Land of The Big PX, didn't have them either. I decided to rebuild my waterpump for something to do. It needed a new shaft. So I went to the local stealership, presented my tube of K-Y and assumed the position. $20.00 fee for calling the order in, plus the UPS Red shipping charges. It is gonna hurt.
Still waiting on the needle jets removed from my carbs so they could be bored. I had ordered replacements, until I found out there are about 6 categories of P-4 Mikuni needle jets. And mine (825's), are not available cheaply. Wahl Brother is going to call Polaris Engineering Monday to see if they can get some.
My 1995 RXL 13.1" travel Xtra-12 suspension is totallu rebuilt and looks snappy with the Mothered rails. I am still waiting for the rear pivot shaft then I can finalize assembly.
I am still waiting on my fuel line quick-disconnects so I can move the fuel pump from the bulkhead up onto the airbox.
I have the velocity stacks I ordered from Australia all set-up and tested in the modded silencer cones in my heavily modded airbox. I will seal them in tomorrow.
Today I worked on the motor. I had done some additional massaging on the runner, so after I had cleaned them all nicely, the measurements I had thoughtfully written on the top of the jugs went away. Seems like the permanent Sharpies aren't all that permanent.

So here is what I will have when done:
All new pistons, rings and crankshaft. Jugs heavily massaged by MadCow as was the upper crankcase half. I did a little extra work on them. New lightweight Wiseco wrist pins. (Oh, the wrist pin from Hell. Took me an hour to get it in yeesh.) The heads were cut by HTG for their shim kit, I polished them up nice and shiney. Carbs bored 40mm. I polished them up nice and shiney too. All new valves in the carbs. vForce 3 reeds. Rebuilt oilpump, and waterpump. The heavy-breathing motor will dump into re-wrapped HTG pipes. I decided to wrap most of the pipes for better heat retention. I had my tach calibrated by Riley. It was spot on. New rear suspension. And new Magnecor wires and caps.

All I have left to do is finish assembling motor (once everything gets here), check and set the timing on the motor, move the fuel pump and attach the quick-disconnects. Work over the airbox. Add the Holztman ATAAC (but I have to wait to get a baseline jetting on the motor first). New bearings in chaincase, and on other side too. I have to put in the new radiator at the front of the tunnel. Seems when the track clips were coming off they punched some holes in the radiater. That reminds me, I need to drill the track for a bunch more studs and put them in. Need to reclip the track, but this time I am using a cheapo clipping tool with some weld on the ends to really crimp the clips.
Check the trueness of the driveshaft and tunnel and suspension. Put in said suspension. Add decals.

Quite a few things, but they are all small things. If I hadn't broken the VES guillotine and had to order a new waterpump shaft, I would have had the motor done day before yesterday.

It's all in the fun yes?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sounds like you were having fun. You have to throw up some pics of your handy work.

I had a VES suddenly snap on me to this week as well (out of the blue).. It sux.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Gotta be the strongest and shiniest sled on the Kusko. Good luck with it, talk to you again sometime. Happy late Thanksgiving too.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't know about the shiniest, but it will speak authoritatively. :)
You got your parts O.K.?
And a Happy Thanksgiving right back at you. I am going to try coming over to the Yukon once we get some more snow. I need to build another sled for long range travel. Ha! Just another thing to do.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the things we do for fun!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts