Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

I think it's time for me to move on, and get something a little newer.. well alot newer.. I'm sick of chaging the jetting every time the temp. changes, stuff breaking daily etc.. I think it's time to retire my sled.. I don't think i'll sell it.. just relieve it from daily duty..

Ok, So i'm looking at getting a newer sled (polaris).. I know alot of you have newer polaris's so I'm looking for your opinions/advice. I don't really know what I'm looking for.. I've been riding the same sled for over 5 years ('89 650 w/ x-tra 10). Twin, Triple, Aggressive, Gen II, Edge.. So many choices I don't know where to start.. again I'm not trying to start a twin vs. triple, or a brand bashing thread everyone is entitled to thier own opinions here... I know you guys have 'em.. I want to hear 'em all.. I ride mostly trails/lakes and rack on the miles pretty quick.. I've had the chance to ride some newer stuff.. but not really long enough to get a really good feel for anything..

I'm in the market for something used.. after buying a brand new truck and taking a bath on that.. I don't think i'll ever buy anything brand new again..

Regards,
650indy

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
So are you thinking Gen 2/Extra 10 or full on Edge.
If you pickup a Gen 2 '99 or 2000 you can save some money,
but the ride on the Edge is spozda be awesome (I personally prefer the looks of the Gen 2).
Since you ride on lakes as you said I will not fight the pack here
and suggest a 500, I see a 6 or 700 in your future.
You can pick up a '99 700 XC pretty cheap these days,
have seen some around here for $4500.00 to $5500.00.
Are you looking at any other brands at all?
I would imagine there are a few Vipers around that got traded for RX-1's,
and MXZ's that got traded for Rev's.
Watch that buying used thing, I bought my '99 500 XC off a guy who bought
it for his wife, but she didn't like the sport and the cold, so it had only 700 miles on it, but saved a couple thousand bucks.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Goodluck 650. I rode a 89 Polaris(of course) 400 for years. Great sled, still have it and love it. Picked up a 95 XLT 2 years ago and still have it. (For a littlr while cause the wife and sled got wrote off on the weekend). Just bought a 99 XC 600 3 months ago. LOVE IT!!!! GenII CRC suspension in the front, Extra 10, Fantastic ride and has all the balls I need. Price was right also. $3,200 Can.(Buddy needed the cash). You might find that right now though it's kinds a prime time to sell a sled so the prices might be a little higher now with all the snow. Like I stated about my 99, you can probably pick one up dor a decent price. Good luck and keep us posted. Mark

·
Registered
975 Posts
[:D]Man 650........just looked at your profile. You're in Haliburton, You're in the sled Capital of Ontario. You better find something fast. Check with those guys near Barrie....Can't think of their name right now. I buy alot off them at the sled show in T.O. every year in apparell. Think it's Spoiled Sports???? Probably wrong.Check in the Polaris Directory and I'll keep an eye out in my area here. Belleville. Price range etc. Mark P.S. Check the Trader Magazine, right now sleds are a dime a dozen and then you only pay the 1 tax buying private. Mark

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, So the Gen II is the same suspension as my Std. w/ the x-tra 10..?

Are all of the 2001 XC's and newer the edge chassis.? And pre 2001 in the Gen II..? Was there an Edge in 2000..?

I'm not totally opposed to a 500 either.. One of the guys I ride with.. has a '02 500.. and has no problem running with the 7's and 8's through the trails. Sure it lacks a little on the lake.. But the cost savings on fuel, purchasing, and insurance.. all come into play..

How does everyone feel about buying a used sled from a dealer as opposed to privately.?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
i think you would love a 2001 or up xc 700 sp.. well actually a 600 would be plenty fast for the trails, and i know it would be faster than your 650.. the new twins are just unreal.. everyone i talk to that has the edge chassis really likes it and the power the engines make they love even more..

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to worry Mr Polaris.. my 650 is still in working order.. 700+ miles this year.. Just time to upgrade.. I feel dated out here that's for sure (not my reason for upgrading).. everyone drives Revs, Firecats, Rx-1's and edges.. I'm not even joking.. The oldest sled you'll see is like a '99..

The come from everywhere in thier rusty, beat up pick-ups hauling 12-14k worth of sled in the back.. ??

Would it be worth waiting until the 'off-season' or the end of the season in order to get a better price..?

oh and FYI Spoiled Sports in Bonnerville.. just east of Oshawa.. not out this way..

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Did your 650 come with the Xtra-10, I didn't think those came out till 95 or something, P-man would know, or just go look at his site.
Most of the newer Gen 2's also came with CRC up front, at least my '99 has it.
I would not think that an '89's Xtra-10 would be the same as a '99's Xtra-10.
Check on insurance costs there, but the 500 and 600 are the same to plate/insure here in SK., 440's are the cheapest.
Don't you have to pay GST at a dealer?
I'd by private again, very good guy to deal with, I wouldn't buy if the guy smelled funny, you know what I mean, just a good feeling he isn't snowing ya.
One thing, take the speedo cable ends off and look for corrosion on the threads, that means it's been riden unplugged, if no corrosion doesn't mean it hasn't though.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Heres my two cents. Even though you had a lot of problems with your old triple I would suggest you stick with a triple. You are used to the smoothness. I have one of those wealthy friends that buys a new sled every two years. He went from an XCR800 down to a 800 twin with edge. Heres his report. "Its got nothing after 90 miles per hour. Its vibrates so bad I cant stand it at idle,everything just rattles. But the suspension is the best. I hope Polaris offers a triple with the edge I would buy it tomorrow". So by his report a hybred would be the best. But since you said not too much really rough stuff, I suggest an Ultra spx or an XCR700 or the big daddy XCR800. I get suprisingly decent milage in my XCR800 about the same as a 700 twin. 14MPG.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I don't notice too much vibration, but I've never riden an 800-3 to compare.
I'm with mrp18, '99 or '00 600 XC SP with VES, CRC and Xtra-10, and get it ASAP or you'll be SOL....hahaha.
I think 600 cause you seem to ride with big boys with big toys.
TTYL

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Regarding vibration. Heres a fun litle test. I can leave my helmet or gloves on the seat of my sled while its idling and they stay on till I take them off. Try it. but be close by to catch them. ;)

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
LOL...my leather gloves slide off within seconds, but never tried my helmet, I will next time I'm out.
Good one Hotrod...lol

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think this will be the last time I get sucked into one of these posts. From now on I will stick to helping the newbies in the shop...Tanks[V]

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by 650Indy
[br]No it didn't come with it I added it..

It was from a '97 XCR...
Well that splains it, I thought so.

How was the fitment, easy job or complete tunnel tooling?

·
Registered
699 Posts
try some of the phazers i got a friend who just put the 8000 mile mark on his and its still goin not the fastest thing out there but pretty quick and they are really reliable later man and good luck

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by hotrod
[br]I think this will be the last time I get sucked into one of these posts. From now on I will stick to helping the newbies in the shop.
Why Hotrod...snowmobile shopping is the only shopping that's fun...even for someone else.

Let the newbies figure out that they need to add oil too, for themselves...don't laugh, have seen it happen.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hot Rod,

I value you opinion as well as everyone else's I hope this thread doesn't discourage you from helping others..

500fasenuf,

as far as the fit of the xtra-10 goes it's fiarly easy just measure, measure, measure again.. then drill.. That was by far the best thing I did to improve that sled.. My issue comes more from a reliability stand point rather than ride quality.. I dunno this year it has been about as reliable as the weather.. and I'm sick of wrenching constantly..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts