Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and just bought my first sled. It's a 2005 Summit 800 HO Adrenaline. I'm very happy with the purchase and what i payed for it. However, there are a few fixes required before the snow starts flying.

The rear suspension is "mushy" and does not spring back when pressure is applied. The only way it will return to it's normal ride height is when i pull up on the rear end and gravity pulls it back. What could this be? Totally blown rear suspension? Any tips/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone know of a reputable online dealer online for hoods/body panels (besides BRP)? The previous owner of the sled thought it would be "cool" to put the 440 MXZ panels/hood on. I personally hate it, i'd like to show off the 800cc and get the regular hood.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
The springs are probably starting to sag. How many miles are on it?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Its probably shocks needing to be rebuilt. Both the rear shocks. Too many people only rebuild the big rear shock and have no good results. Both shocks work off each other to make the suspension to work right. So do both. You can check the shocks.

How to check shocks is take them out and get the spring off if there is a spring. The big rear one comes out with no spring so your fine. The front shock on the skid you need to get the spring off. What I do is take 2 big long screw drivers and a buddy. Put them through the spring at the top placed on each side of the shaft. Then hold the ends of the screw drivers and push down. Then your buddy, with gloves on, there is a plate that hold the spring in place. With the spring compressed your buddy will just move that plate off. And the spring comes out.

To check the shocks. Take each end of the shock in both hands and squeeze with your arms. A good shock will be impossible or damn near impossible to compress with your own arms and if compresses the shaft will move itself back out smoothly. If it does compress easy then it should be rebuilt.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Replace or rebuild the shock..

If that doesn't work, replace the springs.

1,792 Posts
SnoMoIreland said:
Also, does anyone know of a reputable online dealer online for hoods/body panels (besides BRP)? The previous owner of the sled thought it would be "cool" to put the 440 MXZ panels/hood on. I personally hate it, i'd like to show off the 800cc and get the regular hood.

Thanks!
Usually when they do that, it's because the sled was wrecked and the owner was too cheap to buy an exact replacement hood for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts