Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recently purchased my first sleds after riding a sled for the first time last season. I was always wondering what the hype was to go out and freeze in the winter and now I got the fever.I just purchased a RMK 600 and RMK 700 and trailer for an incredible price.($4000)The sleds have 1800 miles and have been taken extreme care of and have had upgrades.The problem I am having is all the snowmobile jargon out there I need to know what I have.They were manufactured in mid to late 99'so does this make them 2000 or 1999? Another question being the body style I need to order new vent screens and need to know the style I have? I am also looking into getting a longer track on my 700 it has a 136 now and want to upgrade to 144 anyone have any pointers on how to do this? Any info on these subjects would be helpful? THANKS, The NEWBIE [NeedSnow] [NeedSnow] [NeedSnow] [NeedSnow] [NeedSnow] [NeedSnow]

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
If they are '99 or '00 then the chassis will be a Gen2 like my XCSP 700. I think that they would still be '99 even if they were built late in the season, but if they are snow checks that happened in the spring of '99 then they will be '00. To up grade the track length on the 700 you will need to buy rail and tunnel extentions for the RMK skid. You will need to remove your old track and your old tunnel extention. you will find the track the hardest to remove and may want some one that has done it before on hand to help you along with the build. The skid is easy to remove, just four bolts. To remove the track you will need to drain the chain case and remove the bottom drive shaft. Pull out the old track and put the new one in place, then put the drive shaft into place. For the rail extentions you will need to take the boggy wheels of and the shaft that is there. bolt on the extentions and put your shaft and wheels back on. the tunnel extention is pretty much straight forward, I believe that it is plastic on those RMK's, undo the the bolts or remove the rivits and put the new one into place with the old or new hardware that you have

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[attachment=50212][galleryattach=13043][galleryattach=13041][galleryattach=13042]

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hey just wanted to say welcome to the snowmobile world[:)] I can't help you on the info you need but I can tell you now that you started riding you will never want to stop. Hope you enjoy the new sleds!!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright I have determined these to be 00's. So how dependable are these sleds and did I make a good purchase?[?]

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
BigJohnson, welcome.

Those are 2000 model year sleds in the picture. Normally a machines model year is one year ahead of the year it was built. For example your sleds were built in the summer of '99 in order to be new for the '99-'00 season, and called '00. The body style is Gen II as driftpounder said.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
You made out like a bandit there my friend.

Welcome to the forum!

The best thing to do now is to do some tear down and maintenance before you jump on those bad boys & rip up the powder.

1. Carbs > Take them off carefully, (take pics with a digital camera if you have to) take them inside to clean them up. Get some spray carb cleaner & wear some safety glasses, you don't want that stuff in your eyes. Take the bottom bowl off and use lots of cleaner to get rid of any varnish are green crud that may be gumming things up.

2. Clutches > Remove the belt by grabbing the top near the front clutch and pull up and back, that should open up the rear sheaves allowing you to slip it off. Some Polaris clutch lube is a good investment here, but don't use tonnes of it, just enough to get things moving nicely. Remove the center bolt from the rear or secondary clutch & remove it. Use a snap ring plier to remove the sanp ring from the rear of the clutch. Take her apart & check the ramp buttons inside are in good shape, then lube it up & re-assemble.

3. Grease > Before you put the clutch back on, grease the jack shaft (top crossssahft) and drive shaft (bottom shaft that goes through the track). There is quite a few spots to grease on your machine, mostly in the suspensions, wherever there is a crossshaft or steering movement there will be one. Use a good low temp grease.

4. Traction > check your carbides to see if they are still good, replace if needed; check the alignment of your track to be sure it's running true on the sliders.

Best place for tunnel & rail extensions...
http://www.tracksusa.com/rail.html
http://www.tracksusa.com/tunnel.html

These extend the rails WITH the sliders; some only extend the rails & the sliders stay the same length which I think is a completely bogus way to do it.

If you run into trouble or not sure how to remove or replace something, come back here & search for key words; good odds it's been covered in detail here.

WELCOME once again & happy wrenching!

·
Registered
43 Posts
those are some good looking sleds big johnson. Those will be some fun this winter. I had a question regarding some of the itmes you are supposed to check prior to riding for the season...How can you tell if your carbide runners are bad or not? Also is there anything you can apply to your steal skis that helps prevent rust....?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Just want to add that the clutches don't require lubrication, not that anything 500fasenuf said was wrong, just don't want you to think you're supposed to lube clutches.

Can't do much about rust other than take the parts off, sandblast, and paint.

Clean the clutch faces (sheaves) with green scrubby pad, and wash them with hot soapy water. Don't want any greasey fingerprints there. Check track tension. Check the owners manual for appropriate sag. Belt tension can be adjusted with the secondary (driven) clutch (the one not attached to the engine).

Get a subscription to SNOWTECH magazine.

If you can change a tire, the oil, and plugs on your car, you can fiddle with a sled. Keep asking questions, sift through the BS from the CYI and you should be on your way to a great new opportunity to have a blast in the winter.

P.S. - I'll give you $4,500 for the sleds.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Just to clarify from what OS said.... that's correct, lube on the sheaves (dished plates the belt runs on) is bad for sure; however Polaris sells a clutch lube that gets used on all moving clutch parts to make sure they move quickly and freely.

Here's the Comet version, that Polaris probably sells with their own label on it....

http://www.spankysparts.com/snowmobile-clutch-lube.html

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by snowsoon
[br]How can you tell if your carbide runners are bad or not? Also is there anything you can apply to your steal skis that helps prevent rust....?
If any of the actual carbide is missing, that is bad. Some carbide runners have multiple 1-inch long pieces of carbide lined up to make a 5-inch, or 6-inch, or XX-inch carbide edge. Sometimes one piece of that will fall out. If one 1-inch piece falls out, that in and of itself is not horrible, but it makes the steel (non-carbide) part of the runner wear out faster. Sometimes really fast. Sometimes the steel wears down so much that there isn't much metal where the studs go through the ski to hold the runner on. If the runner is over half-way worn down, I would think about replacing it.

The bottom side of steel skis will eventually always rust, as paint does not last long there. Go down the trail a few miles, and it is gone. Let the sled sit in the garage a few days with melted snow on the skis, and the rust is back. Not much you can do about it. You can put ski skins on the skis, though. That is a plastic "skin" for the bottom side of the ski. The carbide bolts through it to the ski like normal.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Originally posted by BigJohnson
[br]Alright I have determined these to be 00's. So how dependable are these sleds and did I make a good purchase?[?]
i really dont think you coulda found a better deal if u looked all year long. those look in great condition and those rmk's are good sleds. as far as extensions go go to denniskirk.com or shadetreepowersports.com places like that and they have rail extensions and tunnel extentions. then you will probably want to get extended coolers too

·
Registered
231 Posts
Big johnson when you add the rail extensions lube the suspension it will be a lot easier than when you put it back in. Also when you buy a longer track get higher lugs for the deep stuff ( unless all you do is trail ride) and if no one added this you'll need longer slides/hyfaxes

·
Registered
690 Posts
them are some nice sleds and good buy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts