Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iam geting this sled .i have all ways road cats so this is new to me how are thess sled and specs on them.

http://jxn.craigslist.org/rvs/1891568218.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
my family used to have one of these and it was a blast, the tripples have lots of power. With 1800 miles on it the motor should be in great condition. The only thing that is sketchy is the hood deal. I dont know if i beleive it blew off down the highway, he probably rolled it. But just to be cautious make sure to check everything out on it, make sure there is no structural cracks or bends. Otherwise looks to be a decent sled [thumb] One thing i have heard from some people tho is that the older tripples middle cylinder are prone to going out. Now dont quote me on that lol and someone correct me if im wrong.


And one other thing! ALWAYS check the compresion in all cylinders before buying

Nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,585 Posts
Looks pretty good. It will be a heavy, but fast sled. Suspension sounds good. They have lots of power, and they feel it. But wedge sleds are very fun, and one of my favorite chassis sleds. If possible, check compression in all three cylinders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
i have a 96 xcr 600 and totally love it has over 5500mi and still running strong on the original pistons! mine has pro-x rear skid and slp ultralite skis, tba performance silencer, and i'm throwin triple pipes on it this year!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
The miles are attractive, but the price seams a little high. I don't know about out in MI, but here in the northeast Ultra's are going for like 550-900 in good shape. I just picked one up but that is ultra clean (pun intended) but needs one cyl gone through. Make sure to check the reed boots too. I would say if you could talk him done a c-note or so to go for it. I'm anxious to get some triple pipes on mine after it gets some new rings and go have fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,016 Posts
Just be careful with that engine. Thats the monoblock 600, which is a pretty weak triple. Hp on those were 96 hp or around there. My 500 twin is better than that. Those engines werent very good in 95-96, because they didnt have a fourth oil line. Most were fine, but some had crank issues. Thats too much for that sled. We bought a 96 xcr 600 SP, which had a much better engine and stock triple pipes for 500, and it was ready for the trails and ran fanstatic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
looks like it sits kinda hi for an extra-10. and in the rear skid theres the extra idler wheel near the rear like on the x-12.
that being said....
i cannot stand when people say....
"thats not worth it cuz i bought a........for whatever price"
just becuase you bought something doesnot create a value for a sled, i bought a 1978 skidoo elite for 150 bucks...running! does that mean anyone who pays anything more for an elite is an idiot, doubt it they go for 3-4000. i just got one hell of a deal from someone who didnt know what they had.
prices on sleds can vary from one state to the next. that seems like a reasonable price to me for that sled, id try and beat him up a lil on the price but, those parts from a running sled will bring that all day long if he ever NEEDED to get his money out of it.
yes im sure theres TONS of better deals to be found.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
hood flew off in a hyway drive?????? was he going fast backwards or dumb enough to load it backwards and not have the straps latched....If that is the case I would look that puppy over real good.

Bakernator said:
The miles are attractive, but the price seams a little high. I don't know about out in MI, but here in the northeast Ultra's are going for like 550-900 in good shape. I just picked one up but that is ultra clean (pun intended) but needs one cyl gone through. Make sure to check the reed boots too. I would say if you could talk him done a c-note or so to go for it. I'm anxious to get some triple pipes on mine after it gets some new rings and go have fun.
its not even an Ultra...just the hood
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
it looks a little sketchy to me. the miles sound good but the exterior just isnt to appealing.i would try to work the guy down about 100 or 150.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
im sure its low miles because the speedo came with the hood. i dont think its original, look at the size of it. i dont think xcrs came with that larger sppedo. maybe they did in 96 i really dont know.
but anyhow, yes its a sketchy sale, arent all sales? when someone is getting rid of something its cuz they dont want it anymore and want something better, theres always somethng better. just need to go over things with a fine tooth comb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,731 Posts
Good call on the gauge size, the '96 XCR 600 still has the 4" gauges, as would the 1996 Ultra, which is what that hood is. So the gauge pod is off something entirely different (1997+ sleds had the 5" gauges). Give him a call and ask him how many miles are REALLY on the sled, not just what the speedo reads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
bigwedgies said:
looks like it sits kinda hi for an extra-10. and in the rear skid theres the extra idler wheel near the rear like on the x-12.
that being said....
i cannot stand when people say....
"thats not worth it cuz i bought a........for whatever price"
just becuase you bought something doesnot create a value for a sled, i bought a 1978 skidoo elite for 150 bucks...running! does that mean anyone who pays anything more for an elite is an idiot, doubt it they go for 3-4000. i just got one hell of a deal from someone who didnt know what they had.
prices on sleds can vary from one state to the next. that seems like a reasonable price to me for that sled, id try and beat him up a lil on the price but, those parts from a running sled will bring that all day long if he ever NEEDED to get his money out of it.
yes im sure theres TONS of better deals to be found.
I was thinking the same thing about the ride height.

I was asking what the market was there and giving examples of what prices sleds like those are going for here. As far as value of the sled, it DOES matter what people pay for them (yes I know there are always cheap/smoking deals once in a while) because thats what sets the market. The value of a sled like in this area is $500-$1000. A sled of that era is usually worth more in parts that what you can get for a whole sled so it's really a moot point to use that argument. I'm sure we have all bought sled(s) for cheap money and sold the parts for more)

dodger said:
its not even an Ultra...just the hood
Oops, I just glanced at it quicklike and saw the pink head color and didn't notice it was a monoblock. I also didn't see the side pads on the seat like an XCR usually has. Should have payed a little more attention.


Either way, I think it is a little high on the price, but if you can talk him down another 100-150 it might not be a bad deal if everything is in good shape.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,842 Posts
heavy? that sled was one of the lightest until the iq body lineup.

weak triple? there are more 10k mile xlt's out there then polaris even made of dragon 800's.

97 ultra's came with the 5" guage so that would go with the ultra hood.

850 is a fair price if it has good compression and runs nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
madcow said:
heavy? that sled was one of the lightest until the iq body lineup.

weak triple? there are more 10k mile xlt's out there then polaris even made of dragon 800's.

97 ultra's came with the 5" guage so that would go with the ultra hood.

850 is a fair price if it has good compression and runs nice.
That hood is off a 96 Ultra, 4" gauges.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
i thought the hood was the 97. the 96 was black wasnt it? that appears purple....ish to me. but its poor pictures for me to distinquish colors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,731 Posts
That is a '96 Ultra hood. That gauge pod is not from the 1996 Ultra hood nor the original white 1996 xcr 600 hood because 1997 was the first year of the big 5" gauges.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i just picked it up...its in very good shape.nice pipes and its a xtra10 sup.the only thing it needs is a throtul cable.wich is y it would not start ..it has 160
in each cly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,016 Posts
Your calling 96 hp a lot for a 600 triple snowmobile? I think not! My non VES 500 put out just as much as that! Sure they can hold out a lot of miles, but they are weak. Lets see some pics!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
i would rather have a trail sled that holds lots of miles then lots of hp. properly set up the monoblock triple had plenty of get up and go. specially in the xcr chassis. finding hp is just a matter of technology. and obviously newer sleds are going to have more numbers compared to older sleds. reguardless the monoblock triple was a good motor. yes they had their problems and it was NOT caused by a lack of a fourth oiler, that was polaris' fix to calm down scared buyers. there was a cassting flaw where the pto oiler was too small causing lack of oil to that end. yes the forth oil line is nice but this motor ran fine prior too and if the oil port was drilled out.
but to buy a sled and not hear it run??? now for 850 thats definatly high, this sled could definatly have problems someones trying to hide. i hope you got a guarantee that its just the throttle cable!
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top