Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first sled. AC 97 ZR 580 EFI.
$1700 Canadian thats about $1215 us.
It was at the dealer for some work and the guy did not want to pay for it so they sold
it to me for the price of the bill.
The first pic is how it looked when I got it...Minus the seat that I had taken off.
Next pic is after I painted it.
Painted the hood Mirage color change that goes from purple to green to bronze.
The yellow trim etc.
I also changed rear springs and now need snow to seem how it actually runs.
Does anyone have any experience with the 97 580?
I have heard of problems with blowing up etc.
Also how should it run against a 99 vmax sx 500 stock and a 91 mach 1 640 with twin pipes.

/snofan/../images/users/cedarguitar/580b.jpg

/snofan/../images/users/cedarguitar/580a.jpg

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Nice sled you got there. Also an interesting way you aquired it. Hope it works out well for ya. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Good Work making the sled look good again.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Nice job on the paint,
The 580 should not have any problems with the 99 500 yamaha, yamaha's 500's weren't known for there awesome power.
I don't know the power of the older 640 but you should be able to run with it.
The 580 had really good low end torque off the line, it was a big improvement over the 550. I know a lot of guys who have 580 ext's and they seem to be one of those sleds that will run forever. I rode one from Tok AK to Dawson and back a couple of years ago, never missed a beat. Be sure to keep up with the battery though since it won't run without it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually this sled is a batteryless EFI.
First pull charges the rails and powers the electronics and second one she goes.

I wondered about the low torque because it does not turn the track until about 4000rpm.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i didnt think they made batteryless EFI in 97...i thought that started later...nice looking sled tho

·
Registered
443 Posts
Nice articat even though im a polaris fan...and also i hate efi sleds becouse there really doggy compared to the none efi sleds...I have rode a 1992 polaris rxl 650 and that thing was a terd and that was efi..but hey as long as ur ridding something...tear it up

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good looking sled,just needed tlc.The dealer sticker on tunnel is from a city close to me,are you from Sask?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts