Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '90 & a '92 Indy Trail 488. I have searched and searched and cannot find a spec. sheet anywhere on the web. These sleds have not been started for several years and I need to find out what I need as far as coolant, 2-cycle oil for the injection system, and any kind of cooling oil or fluids I need on brakes/tracks. I haven't had a sled in probably ten years and even then I didn't ever need to do anything but clean the carbs at the start of the season. Both of these sleds appear to be in good shape but I don't want to just change plugs & fuel and take a chance of ruining motor parts or something in the driveline because of old, broken down oil. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you [email protected]

·
Registered
486 Posts
check polarisman.com for specs sheets. those sleds are fans so their air cooled no coolent, and as for oil gear oil for chain case and polaris blue, gold, klotz, amsoil, pennsoil all works in injected oil sleds. i would recamend blue becouse its cheep and seems to burn reletivly clean. i also recamend finding out what the previous owner ran for oil becouse it will run best on what it was broke in with.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
the best part about those sleds, are that you have just about done everything you need to them. They are great sleds, and extremely dependable. do your yearly check up on them, hi fax, carbs, belts, clean and leave dry the clutches, grease them and run. If you havent owned a sled in ten years, dont really need to worry much, since they are older than that. Pick up from where you left off, 10 years ago, it will all come back to you as you go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, thanks friends for the info. I have a question about "hi fax," what is that? I realized after I posted that they were probably fan cooled and I actually got one running tonight and road for about two hours...the other one is seized up but I think I'll be able to get it turning in a day or two, I was in shock because these sleds haven't ran since '96 or '97 so I figured I'd have some motorwork to do. I got both of these sleds with an enclosed trailer for $500 so I figured with the trailer and one running I'm already ahead in the deal. I am kinda worried about the chain oil though, I've never been under a sled, I know the clutch turns a flywheel and I'm guessing that turns a sprocket that moves the track, is there a chain in there or lube box that will need my attention. Thanks again!

P.S. - I am noticing that this sled runs hard as long as I don't hammer the throttle but if I really get on it the engine sounds like it's bogging down a little, any ideas?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The primary clutch is on the engine, and with the belt, that turns the secondary clutch (not a flywheel--the flywheel is actually on the opposite side of the engine where the magneto and fan are). Then the jackshaft goes from the secondary clutch to the chaincase. Yes, there are gears and a chain in there, and lube. I don't think there is a drain plug on those years of machines. You just have to unbolt the cover and wipe up the mess. Polaris sells chaincase lubricant. You will have to remove the exhaust pipe to get to the chaincase easier. It is only held on with springs, and is easy to remove if you have a vise grips.

I would definitely try to get a manual for at least one of the sleds.

Sounds like you got one heck of a deal.

Oh, the bogging. It sounds like it is just flooding out slightly when you gap on it. How warm was it, when you ran it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, thanks again for the info. It was fairly warm when is was bogging a little bit but after riding off and on for a few days it's been running great. I notice thought that when I first fire it up I let it run for a minute or so and then when I go to take off for the first time of the day I smell a little rubber burning...I assume that would be the belt. Is this normal? Is there anywhere other than the chain case that I should be lubing, do I need to grease anything? I did talk to a friend of mine who used to service these sleds before I bought them, the '92 is seized up so I had put some WD-40 in the cylinders the other day and it ran out the clutch side, he said that this was most like because I need to replace the cam seal and bearing...he's got the parts so I just need to pull the motor and get to it. The snow here is deep enough that I can't get to my deer stand and this is muzzleloader weekend so I've been taking my sled out morning and afternoon. Thanks again

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The rubber you are smelling probably is the belt. When the machine is cold, everything turns harder. Before you jump on and ride, after the machine has sat overnight, lift up the back of the machine and rev it up a little. This loosens up the track, knocks any ice out of the suspension, and just gets everything turning a little more freely.

Also, yes, there are lots of places to grease on a snowmobile. All the steering and suspension should be greased. Also, the driveshaft and jackshaft have grease zerks on the clutch side of the machine. Since the machines have been sitting for so long, the rear suspension is probably in need of some care. If it were mine, I would remove the rear suspension and check all the idler wheels. Make sure those bearings are turning freely. Any bad bearings can be replaced easily. I would remove all the cross-shafts, clean them, regrease them, and reinstall.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again JD, I've spent the day in the shop pulling the motor and lubing everything up, will take it over tonight when he gets home from work and see what he says. Thanks bud!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts